Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a txt msg this morning stating my M3 will be built in the next 1-2 days (I thought these were built in batches 2-3 months ago?) and a tentative delivery appointment for 12/27! No VIN# but will be notified 24-36hrs prior to appointment to confirm.

Ordered 12/05; M3 AWD LR; MSM / White Interior

Due to the holiday schedules for banks, I've been on the phone securing final financing (already pre-approved weeks ago) and insurance. Still need to make a couple calls Fri or Saturday to finalize a few other items.

Coming from a Chevy Volt, so hopefully my Blink charger at home should be good enough for the Tesla! Crap, just realized I need to clean out part of the garage- the Telsa is slightly longer and a bit wider than my Volt and it's already a tight squeeze.

-GC

Interesting. My build date is supposedly 12/10 and my VIN is 859XXX. Tesla makes no sense, haha. I have a MSM with 19" wheels no fsd black int picking up 12/30 (hopefully).

Yeah, apparently a higher VIN number doesn’t always mean a newer build date. I’ve looked through the spreadsheet in this thread Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

and it seems to confirm this as well.

Trying to see if I’m getting the new headlights or not. So far I have not identified a build date before or equal to mine for a unit with the new lights. My sales advisor seems convinced that I am getting the new lights but also incorrectly told me that all 2021’s have them. I ordered a LR MSM black interior with FSD and standard aero wheels.

Did they call you for early pickup? I thought we are picking up on the same day (12/26) - 2 hours apart?
I got confirmation txt today for 12/26 pickup. Please post some pix.

Called for status a few days ago and asked if there was anything sooner and got it changed to today at 4. WHAT A CAR

VIN started with 858xxx and I have old headlights... thought I would be bummed about it but totally not. The car... Rex... is amazing.

Attachments

• 8914FB48-97A7-4742-A5E7-14B28FA9AAA8.jpeg
    8914FB48-97A7-4742-A5E7-14B28FA9AAA8.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tholland
Yeah, apparently a higher VIN number doesn’t always mean a newer build date. I’ve looked through the spreadsheet in this thread Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

and it seems to confirm this as well.

Trying to see if I’m getting the new headlights or not. So far I have not identified a build date before or equal to mine for a unit with the new lights. My sales advisor seems convinced that I am getting the new lights but also incorrectly told me that all 2021’s have them. I ordered a LR MSM black interior with FSD and standard aero wheels.
You need. build date of at least 12/12 and newer. And to be sure I would say 12/15 and newer. Far as vins for headlights it’s above 863,xxx when it started in USA spec. If you have a vin 869,xxx and higher you will have the new headlights. There is a chance it could be lower vins but so far it’s unlikely.

Just wanted to chime in with my Chicago experience. Took delivery early of my 2021 M3 LR in Blue with White interior last Tuesday. Placed the order the Thursday before. This was an inventory car but apparently it was quite literally still on the train from Cali when I placed my order. It was actually supposed to arrive last Thursday (12/17), but apparently showed up in Chicago three days early.

I'll echo what everyone else has probably said about the ordering process. It shouldn't be this hard or confusing, and the least they could do is provide accurate local tax and fee numbers during the ordering process. They obviously know what they are for each state. And if Amazon can track millions of packages with a high degree of accuracy, Tesla should be able to as well for a much smaller quantity of stock. Some folks at the local Chicago West Loop office were helpful (including a lady who was SUPER helpful in getting the right form copies sent to me so I could get a city sticker) while others seemed like they didn't care.

Also, for anyone wondering, I actually got lower than the advertised 2.49 % 72 month financing going through Tesla and the local bank they found. I have great credit, but not perfect credit, and I got 2.19%.

For those who live in Chicago, be sure you ask for copies of ALL registration forms, including the forms required on the Clerk's page here:

Chicago City Vehicle Sticker FAQs

Some currency exchanges don't know what's going on with EVs and the temporary plates we all end up with here in Illinois with the idiotic EL plate requirement, and having all the forms is necessary to ensure you can get a city sticker in time to avoid getting ticketed. Despite having 30 days from purchase, this is Chicago and the meter maids don't really care, and you don't want to have to contest the ticket. You can always transfer your city sticker to the new plate after you get the permanent EL plates, but it sounds like those are riding out the time limit since, well, this is Illinois.

The good news is I had the car in time for a three day camping trip in Southern Illinois where I happily plugged it in to the campsite's 30amp electricity :) Already put ~1000 miles on it...

Reactions: Dayreg
Got a txt msg this morning stating my M3 will be built in the next 1-2 days (I thought these were built in batches 2-3 months ago?) and a tentative delivery appointment for 12/27! No VIN# but will be notified 24-36hrs prior to appointment to confirm.

Ordered 12/05; M3 AWD LR; MSM / White Interior

Due to the holiday schedules for banks, I've been on the phone securing final financing (already pre-approved weeks ago) and insurance. Still need to make a couple calls Fri or Saturday to finalize a few other items.

Coming from a Chevy Volt, so hopefully my Blink charger at home should be good enough for the Tesla! Crap, just realized I need to clean out part of the garage- the Telsa is slightly longer and a bit wider than my Volt and it's already a tight squeeze.

-GC
Same spec. Same text. But ordered in October! o_O

Reactions: yaya21
Spoke with Tesla Carlsbad again, and again they said I would either need to fly home to take delivery on 26th, or they will release car to someone else. Would not hold it until we return on 1/1. They also would not commit to a date range of when I could receive another M3, just said "could be in the couple of months". I released my VIN. Horrible that they are so focused on Wall Street instead of the customer.

To those who think these stories are fine, and "buy another car" if you're not happy with Tesla, they only have a couple more years of being the best option in town. While they will have a strong product to offer for decades to come, they will have fierce competition in just a few years. Company culture will be so difficult to shift in that time, and their lack of focus on the customer is not a smart move long-term. This is not a start-up, this is the most valuable car company in the world and they act like they are the customer rather than the other way around.

Mike...sorry to read your story

what was ur configuration?

I’m asking because I was looking to purchase end of September originally but held on to the hope about the rumored updates for the 2021s. But I remember the last weeks of September (end of q3) there was excess inventory when I checked online for the exact configuration I wanted. This lasted for weeks.

hoping there are leftovers in your exact model 3 in the first weeks of January that you can pick up!

sucks you had to release your vin. Did they give you an option to leave at your house? They wanted to deliver to me and the email said I would not even need to be home to have it delivered. I opted out and chose to pick it up in Burbank myself.

regardless...have a safe trip man

I was scheduled to pick up my car the day after Christmas (Dec. 26th...in 2 days) After waiting 80 days I've been SO excited all week (also I haven't had a car for months), I'm sure those that have picked there's up can understand...well I just got a text from Tesla saying because of "..some logistical delays around the holiday" my delivery is being pushed to Monday (Dec. 28th). :(

WTF!!! This company has some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They continually over promise and under deliver. As someone else stated, its pure arrogance.

They seem to have no considerations for anyones time. No response then all of sudden you're on their time or your car will be given to someone else. They just rescheduled my pickup day/time without considering what I had planned since getting my delivery date a WEEK ago.

This is such a sh*t show. They can get away with it for now because they're the only real game in town. Hopefully in a few more years that won't be the case. Meanwhile there are multiple versions of my car "for sale" in my area. So they're either selling cars that aren't actually available yet (again over promising) or they're incompetent and not matching me with one of those cars and instead delayed my delivery, again. I'm so close to just canceling this damn thing out of pure frustration/spite. :mad:

I was scheduled to pick up my car the day after Christmas (Dec. 26th...in 2 days) After waiting 80 days I've been SO excited all week (also I haven't had a car for months), I'm sure those that have picked there's up can understand...well I just got a text from Tesla saying because of "..some logistical delays around the holiday" my delivery is being pushed to Monday (Dec. 28th). :(

WTF!!! This company has some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They continually over promise and under deliver. As someone else stated, its pure arrogance.

They seem to have no considerations for anyones time. No response then all of sudden you're on their time or your car will be given to someone else. They just rescheduled my pickup day/time without considering what I had planned since getting my delivery date a WEEK ago.

This is such a sh*t show. They can get away with it for now because they're the only real game in town. Hopefully in a few more years that won't be the case. Meanwhile there are multiple versions of my car "for sale" in my area. So they're either selling cars that aren't actually available yet (again over promising) or they're incompetent and not matching me with one of those cars and instead delayed my delivery, again. I'm so close to just canceling this damn thing out of pure frustration/spite. :mad:

i definitely feel your frustration and I’m on the verge of cancelling due to the horrible customer service and lack of consideration for us. I have to leave the state this weekend on a family emergency and have been trying to get a response from my SA and delivery center in hopes to coordinate an early return flight so I can pick up next week but have gotten a very generic response or nothing at all. They honestly seem to give zero f’s and I definitely feel it’s the lack of competition and arrogance. Don’t think I’ll ever purchase directly from Tesla again unless there is some serious improvement in their service

received this text message today. Also my account shows now a delivery day (12/26), interestingly delivery appointment is at 2AM, LOL, aka after midnight delivery.
Ordered 10/20 white/white LR w/ FSD. Delivery in South Bay, CA.
Actually wanted to do pickup in Colma SC, but they switched me to Fremont pickup a few weeks ago. Now it looks like they'll do home delivery. Actually prefer pickup to have more time to inspect the car, but not sure if I can switch things up.

View attachment 620806
View attachment 620807

VIN just showed up in my account!
It's a 876xxx. I'm optimistic it has the new headlights . Delivery is planned for 26/12.