Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would agree. Supposedly it takes three hours to build a car. You then need to load it on a transporter (say an hour or two??), transport it to your location (hour to 8 hours depending on location in CA), unload the cars (hour), prep/inspect/detail car (1-2 hours???). So you have at least 12 hours in delivery to the SC location. If they need to book a car delivered on the 30th to count for the quarter then manufacturing it in on the 29th, and then later delivery on the 30th would be possible.

Mine was shipped from Fremont to Denver in 2 days, that's pretty impressive Amazon Prime level speed

Reactions: JoJa15
this gives me hope (possibly false hope?) that mine is coming soon. also at 7-11 weeks. Or in other words, gives me hope that 7-11 weeks isn't real
Although I do not have definitive proof, I still have to believe that the "7-11 weeks" is from order placed, not from today. 🤷‍♂️ When my EDD was showing in weeks for a while, the time frame from order placed was about the same as the EDD when it showed dates.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoJa15
Interestingly, the two SA’s have been more helpful than any other SA I’ve talked to along this journey both (at different times) shared that their internal forecasting tool estimated production date in line with website EDD.

My experience has been being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want to believe that EDD means nothing based on your comment but then on the other side when I’ve been told twice their production forecast shows within website EDD… what do I actually believe is true? I really just don’t understand this convoluted process.
It is super hard because there is not a ton of information and no one has been able to come up with strong logical reasons for things happening. There is anecdotal information that SA's have access to some tool that shows if a VIN has been "soft matched" (whatever that means) or some way to tell when you will get your car. I don't know if they just look at the EDD and guess off that or if they truly have some different thing they can view. With that being said other SA's say the EDD is the most accurate. When you get things all over the place it is hard to tell who is blowing smoke and who is telling the truth.

From watching this process the things that seem to make some sense to me are the following:
- East Coast cars seem to get priority over West Coast orders when it gets close to end of quarter. This kind of makes sense because there is a shorter delivery distance. Send cars out East and while they are being transported you can deliver cars in the West.
- Cars with any add ons (larger wheels, FSD, upgraded color [blue, black, red, silver], white interior, etc) seem to get priority over the plain base car (white, black interior, 18" rims, no FSD).
- Order date seems to play a role but I have seen instances where someone has gotten a car with the exact same config over someone with an older order date.
- The above rules are not hard and fast. You can find exceptions to the above.

What I wished was Tesla was more transparent about their order process and delivery dates:
- If cars with add ons are given priority I can understand that. Just let me know. Heck they may get more people adding options to their car if they know they will get it sooner.
- If SA's have some better info why not display that on our order page? Why does it need to be kept secret and some vague EDD is shown for us?
- If there is no better info for SA's, train your SA workforce to have consistent messaging.

It hasn't been easy... I've seen things! 😳 😜

Still can't tell if imagining stories about a genetically engineered squirrel (thanks again @ytfsic!) controlling things is a good or bad sign of how I'm holding up.
Dude I do not know how you are still alive with your order date!! I really hope your car is perfect when you receive it. After all that waiting you deserve nothing less.

(Noob/novice here).....When they say delivery, do they actually delivery to your home? I picked a specific spot (Marina del Rey) for the delivery date. The SA kept telling me that when Tesla texts you about "home delivery" just reply you perfect to pick up at the service center instead....is this still correct?
Can be both, depends, I'm going with whatever is fastest at this point

To those who've ordered in June and are trying to figure out their EDDs, I'm one of the few who ordered in early April and still don't have a VIN. My EDD went from June 1 - June 30 to its current state at June 28 - June 30. At this point, no idea if I'm getting a car. I'm starting to wonder if once we get into July, my EDD will start showing July 5 - June 30...
Did you order white/black interior/18" rims/no FSD?

When did your account truly finalize? Did you have your loan, and all info finalized when you made your order early April?
Did you make any changes to your build at anytime between your order and now?

Although I do not have definitive proof, I still have to believe that the "7-11 weeks" is from order placed, not from today. 🤷‍♂️ When my EDD was shoing in weeks for a while, the time frame from order placed was about the same as the EDD when it showed dates.
I was told by Tesla customer service that the EDD in "weeks" is from order date. I think right now it's just matching with what a new order estimate is.

• Informative
Reactions: Ace777
Ordered on 4/17/2021 Finally got a VIN! Now waiting to see when I can pick up the car. I want to pay by cashier's check but I don't see that option online. Waiting for SA to respond. Good luck people who ordered in April and who got pushed to the back of the line because they didn't have to pay the recent price hikes.

Ordered LR white/blk 18" no FSD

OK so changing my profile pic to my car did not work. Again another tease slide to the right by one day, 26th now. So I went back to the old one with a small variation to hopefully improve my VIN chances.
Decided to do the same thing. But I'm keeping the corgi thing going. Once I get my car I'll change my avatar with my M3 & Corgis.

(Noob/novice here).....When they say delivery, do they actually delivery to your home? I picked a specific spot (Marina del Rey) for the delivery date. The SA kept telling me that when Tesla texts you about "home delivery" just reply you perfect to pick up at the service center instead....is this still correct?

Can be both, depends, I'm going with whatever is fastest at this point

For me I was not given an option for home delivery. It said I had to pick a delivery location.

When my order was first placed, it said that Home Delivery was not an option due to location. So I had to pick a Service Center. (FYI, although I'm a few miles closer to Buena Park, I chose Costa Mesa based on more positive reviews of the SC.)

But, based on the experiences of others who also were told Home Delivery was not an option, I've seen that Tesla is now pushing for Home Delivery (even though it was previously not an option) instead of picking up at SC.

My unconfirmed and unsupported theory is that because of the unusually high volume of cars being delivered at the end of the quarter because of the backlog due to the factory "containment hold" (which we now think was for TeslaVision) last month, the SC's have limited space to store cars waiting for people to come pick them up. My thought is that they are now driving the cars to our homes to free up space and to be able to record more deliveries by EOQ.