Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with a SA just barely and they stated that yeah the EDD is always fluctuating and they truly with that Tesla could have an enhanced way of a more accurate time frame but for now they just want to underpromise and overdeliver. With that being said, they did say that my current August 9-29th time frame could be an overestimate and I could be getting it sooner, rather than later, but, they did also mention that in the worst-case scenario, September 30th (aka end of Q3) is most of our best bets of getting a Tesla delivered.
Maybe I'm misreading this, but how is giving July or August date ranges (fluctuating though they may be) but thinking that September delivery is a "best bet" under-promising and over-delivering? It's the exact opposite. If they really wanted to do that, they should tell all of us not to expect our cars until September and fill orders as they are able well in advance of that. Then, any surprises are to the upside (i.e. earlier than expected) rather than the downside.

Additionally, if Tesla truly is only building foreign cars right now and not building any US cars for the first weeks/month of the quarter (which I also have a hard time believing is 100% true) then giving anyone a July delivery date is a flat out lie as it's not possible to fill a US order if you won't even build a US car in July. Tesla routinely practices over-promise, under-deliver.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but how is giving July or August date ranges (fluctuating though they may be) but thinking that September delivery is a "best bet" under-promising and over-delivering? It's the exact opposite. If they really wanted to do that, they should tell all of us not to expect our cars until September and fill orders as they are able well in advance of that. Then, any surprises are to the upside (i.e. earlier than expected) rather than the downside.

Additionally, if Tesla truly is only building foreign cars right now and not building any US cars for the first weeks/month of the quarter (which I also have a hard time believing is 100% true) then giving anyone a July delivery date is a flat out lie as it's not possible to fill a US order if you won't even build a US car in July. Tesla routinely practices over-promise, under-deliver.
The reliability of the only building foreign market cars is hearsay as far as I can tell. Nothing of the sort was said from the two times I talked with the local Tesla center here.

with how ppl have have gotten VINs from April orders through June orders I find it highly unlikely that they would just stop domestic production fully.

Reactions: jrmt23
The reliability of the only building foreign market cars is hearsay as far as I can tell. Nothing of the sort was said from the two times I talked with the local Tesla center here.

with how ppl have have gotten VINs from April orders through June orders I find it highly unlikely that they would just stop domestic production fully.
I agree. It may be that they used to do foreign builds to start a quarter, or maybe they still do to some extent, but given that there is no inventory at dealerships since the end of last quarter, how would Tesla be providing VINs for pending orders if they aren't actively producing some US cars? My point was, though, that if Tesla is spending all/most of their production power for the first weeks or month of a quarter on foreign cars, then any purported delivery date for a pending US order is nearly certain NOT to be filled in July, despite the EDDs that claimed otherwise. Tesla is the poster child for over-promise, under-deliver, and they have been for years. Elon is the king of OPUD.

Reactions: jrmt23
I agree. It may be that they used to do foreign builds to start a quarter, or maybe they still do to some extent, but given that there is no inventory at dealerships since the end of last quarter, how would Tesla be providing VINs for pending orders if they aren't actively producing some US cars?
I actually think you're right, but the only thing I can think of is the reassignment of cars ordered by others who either couldn't make their delivery windows or rejected the cars for whatever reason.

That'd allow for a small number of VINs to be assigned domestically without any real production occurring.

But again, I think you're right and suspect they wouldn't halt production to serve specific regions. I'd image they can produce two different types of the same model at the same time.

Been following this thread since I ordered my M3LR in Blue back in June 21. Was originally given a July 8-20 estimate and has been pushed back further and further last week it was estimated for August 8-20 and now it’s all the way back to September 20-30. I’m really hoping that September date is not the final official date.

Been following this thread since I ordered my M3LR in Blue back in June 21. Was originally given a July 8-20 estimate and has been pushed back further and further last week it was estimated for August 8-20 and now it’s all the way back to September 20-30. I’m really hoping that September date is not the final official date.
Mine started early-mid July as well. Now near end of September. Ordered 6/24

I agree with this statement and while they did tell me the “at Tesla, we try to underpromise and overdeliver” line, I try to find some hope and optimism in looking at the EDD date range and telling myself sooner but then again, it doesn’t happen, especially since me, a 6/9 order date, and many others in April/May order date have yet to hear anything about a VIN…

Reactions: Fraz
I agree with this statement and while they did tell me the “at Tesla, we try to underpromise and overdeliver” line, I try to find some hope and optimism in looking at the EDD date range and telling myself sooner but then again, it doesn’t happen, especially since me, a 6/9 order date, and many others in April/May order date have yet to hear anything about a VIN…

Yep. May order here. No vin yet.

That’s where mine is supposed to be picked up from. Get ready for a roller coaster.

Test driving a few different vehicles tomorrow. Hoping Tesla delivers before the end of July, but if not - will have options.
When did you order yours? And what does your EDD window look like? Mine says 10-16 weeks. Hopefully sooner because I’m already pre-approved for my loan. Didn’t know it was going to cut it close to the 90 days the blank check is good for.

When did you order yours? And what does your EDD window look like? Mine says 10-16 weeks. Hopefully sooner because I’m already pre-approved for my loan. Didn’t know it was going to cut it close to the 90 days the blank check is good for.
I’d consider a local credit union etc. (I work for one and haven’t done my application yet, but I know that they will rate match cause of my credit and actually go to 2.24% for 72 months which is a tad lower than what Tesla offers.

Couldn’t hurt to inquire and see what a local CU or your banks credit score guidelines are and go from there. That way once you get a vin you can then do the application etc.

I’d consider a local credit union etc. (I work for one and haven’t done my application yet, but I know that they will rate match cause of my credit and actually go to 2.24% for 72 months which is a tad lower than what Tesla offers.

Couldn’t hurt to inquire and see what a local CU or your banks credit score guidelines are and go from there. That way once you get a vin you can then do the application etc.
Good to know. I used Navy Federal and they gave me 2.19 for 72 months. I just applied too early not thinking that delivery would be longer than 90 days.

Received my VIN this morning! Ordered a white, black interior, aero wheels on April 14th for NC delivery. Just yesterday my EDD was out to September so I am jazzed to have a VIN. Now to prepare for stage 2 of the wait 😆
congrats! this is what I don’t quite understand, we have the same order, similar location, yet I ordered a month after you and get a VIN (slightly) before you… glad you’re getting close to the finish, but you should have gotten a reservation before me!

Reactions: xnessix