Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I assume that these cars are built already when vin issued. I got my vin yesterday an hour after taking my order off hold. ED is 9/13-9/20. Ordered white with white aero wheels.
From everything I have heard your car is done when they issue the VIN. I'm not sure if that includes painting / curing etc. though , or any testing that needs to be done as I have no idea what kind of QA process, if any goes on. Definitely seems the bulk of smaller issues and commonly missed items is dumped off onto the service center which seems odd because there are basically 4 basic issues that everyone sees from time to time on model 3's - gaps/panel alignment, glovebox, weather stripping, recessed door handles and then some very oddball type issues after that like weird ghosting/bubbles in glass / marks on stuff and what not. Does anyone have any insight on what is happening when VIN's are issued as to what final stages / prep is done post VIN?

From everything I have heard your car is done when they issue the VIN. I'm not sure if that includes painting / curing etc. though , or any testing that needs to be done as I have no idea what kind of QA process, if any goes on. Definitely seems the bulk of smaller issues and commonly missed items is dumped off onto the service center which seems odd because there are basically 4 basic issues that everyone sees from time to time on model 3's - gaps/panel alignment, glovebox, weather stripping, recessed door handles and then some very oddball type issues after that like weird ghosting/bubbles in glass / marks on stuff and what not. Does anyone have any insight on what is happening when VIN's are issued as to what final stages / prep is done post VIN?
My advisor told me they issue a VIN once the vehicle is completely assembled and out the factory door into the transit staging area. It's all based on doing as many cars of the same configuration as possible at the same time. If you've got an unpopular color / configuration, you end up having to wait until more of the same configuration vehicles are in the queue and they'll run them in a batch. Same thing folks were seeing with white interior vehicles not moving for almost a month and then bam, everyone started getting them. They probably waited until they had enough orders lined up before doing a production run on white interiors.

My advisor told me they issue a VIN once the vehicle is completely assembled and out the factory door into the transit staging area. It's all based on doing as many cars of the same configuration as possible at the same time. If you've got an unpopular color / configuration, you end up having to wait until more of the same configuration vehicles are in the queue and they'll run them in a batch. Same thing folks were seeing with white interior vehicles not moving for almost a month and then bam, everyone started getting them. They probably waited until they had enough orders lined up before doing a production run on white interiors.
Ok yeah I figured it goes into some sort of transit waiting area with as many cars as they can fit for your particular service center and then when they get there they have to check them out aka let the employees Joyride your car around for a bit :( lol. I'm wondering where the miles come from post VIN. Most people have 8 or so miles so I assumed there was some sort of test track but I guess that is from the employees moving your car around to have it detailed and going to grab chik fila real quick.

Congrats! So are you doing carrier direct? I'm trying to work that out but have heard conflicting timelines on how long it takes after pickup is ready.
Tesla has been delivered! A rep drove it here and called himself an Uber to pick him up! Very minor misalignments, the only one I care to get fixed is the passenger side taillight.

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    583.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    766.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 44
Very interesting. This morning I got a text saying to schedule delivery. It is now a home delivery instead of picking up at the delivery center (home delivery was not even an option for me before and I am not exactly sure how that will work given I live in an apartment building in a metropolis). Secondly, the delivery date was a day earlier than my SA told me the car would even be at the delivery center, so that was also shocking. Lastly, apparently my loan expired. I thought they were good for 60 days, but mine was approved on 8/6/21. Very strange activity today.

Either way, delivery is scheduled now for next Friday and am now waiting a loan decision.

So I assume that these cars are built already when vin issued. I got my vin yesterday an hour after taking my order off hold. ED is 9/13-9/20. Ordered white with white aero wheels.
I was told last year that the VIN is formally assigned to the car when the car starts getting assembled on the production line, but informally assigned to a spot on the line 24-48 hours earlier. When I bought a Tesla last year, my SA gave me a VIN via text when the car was ”close” to being produced, but it wasn’t finalized and showing in my account until the next day, which was the day the car was actually produced. But the experience this year is a bit different, as I didn’t see a VIN until the “Accept the Tesla Vision” agreement in my account, at which point my car was almost certainly on the line or already produced.

Very interesting. This morning I got a text saying to schedule delivery. It is now a home delivery instead of picking up at the delivery center (home delivery was not even an option for me before and I am not exactly sure how that will work given I live in an apartment building in a metropolis). Secondly, the delivery date was a day earlier than my SA told me the car would even be at the delivery center, so that was also shocking. Lastly, apparently my loan expired. I thought they were good for 60 days, but mine was approved on 8/6/21. Very strange activity today.

Either way, delivery is scheduled now for next Friday and am now waiting a loan decision.

So I reapplied and my interest went down to 2.49%, which saves me around $2,000 in interest over the life of the loan. I guess this ended up being a good thing in my situation.

Reactions: Whoisbill