Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally talked to a real person yesterday after sending texts to my Tesla Team, My original delivery date for my car was 12/27 and a few days ago I got a text that the car was going to be delayed until the 29th, I thought OK maybe if I could push this past the 1st I still might get lucky with the tax credit thing if they push something through, A day after that I get another text saying it was going to be delivered to the dealer on the 30th and would be available for delivery on the 31st, Now I am thinking this is great! I can just tell them I will be out of town until the 1st and I will schedule my pickup after that, Then I got the phone call from a real person, He told me that if the car is available for delivery on the 31st I must take delivery that day or they would assign my car to someone else and but me back in line for the next shipment, He tells me that its all about 4th quarter numbers and they will be delivering cars at until midnight on the 31st, Now I have to hope for another delay if I want to take delivery after the 1st, This is kind of stressful.
This is indeed weird, so they expect and push to take delivery on New Year's eve. What happens if you plan for example to pay with a cashiers check and the check does not arrive on time? This does not make sense at all. I understand the meeting of end of quarter sales numbers but treating customers like this, oh my! :(

Reactions: ICEMelter
Thank you all for sharing your experiences, as it has helped make expectations much more reasonable during this crazy process. Channeling some positivity based on this week's quite unexpected turn of events:

M3LR DBM/18'/Black/No FSD
Pre-order EDD: Dec 2021, Jan 2022
OD: 11/21
EDD 1: 12/13-12/31
EDD 2 (11/29?): 1/18-2/15
EDD 3 (12/3): 12/19-12/31
EDD 4 (12/9): 1/16-2/13
EDD 5 (12/12): 12/24-12/31
EDD 6 (12/20): 1/5-2/2
VIN 12/20
Delivery appt 12/30

Yeah, sometimes dealing with Tesla can feel like that. I myself had a horrible experience initially buying my first Model 3 and had lots of QC issues with my very early car (one of the first 10k made). And don't get me started about Elon's misleading promises about delivery dates and Full Self Driving back then. Those were expensive lessons for me.

But as frustrated as I was about those things here I am waiting for my new Model 3. Why? Because the car really is that fun to drive, reliable, efficient and is just plain a better value than every other electric car out there. It's a better value than every gas powered car too with similar performance and no gas car comes close when it comes to cost of operation or ease of maintenance.

Maybe if BMW's i4 turns out to be as good as it looks next year I'll switch. But for now Tesla's cars (not the company) have earned my business.
As an investor, I like the idea of no dealerships. But As a customer when you’re getting screwed, it’s nice to have a face. All the front line sales associates are morons, just wanting to punt the problem. The manager was more helpful and understanding. The regional manager, who can make the match, is unresponsive. I’m literally without a car, at high risk to get Covid, and have to take public transportation until Tesla can fix their mistake. Which quite honestly, feels like they’re just putting me at the end of the line for another VIN.

I finally talked to a real person yesterday after sending texts to my Tesla Team, My original delivery date for my car was 12/27 and a few days ago I got a text that the car was going to be delayed until the 29th, I thought OK maybe if I could push this past the 1st I still might get lucky with the tax credit thing if they push something through, A day after that I get another text saying it was going to be delivered to the dealer on the 30th and would be available for delivery on the 31st, Now I am thinking this is great! I can just tell them I will be out of town until the 1st and I will schedule my pickup after that, Then I got the phone call from a real person, He told me that if the car is available for delivery on the 31st I must take delivery that day or they would assign my car to someone else and but me back in line for the next shipment, He tells me that its all about 4th quarter numbers and they will be delivering cars at until midnight on the 31st, Now I have to hope for another delay if I want to take delivery after the 1st, This is kind of stressful.

If I wanted to be a little duplicitous what I would do is schedule an appointment for as late as possible on the 31st. Then just don't show up. They won't have enough time to give your car away to someone else. On the next business day (Jan 2?) come in early in the morning. Your car will still be there and ready to go and it will be easier for Tesla to just give it to you then than to try to punish you for not picking up on the 31st.

Now of course I generally believe honesty is the best policy. But if it were I then I think it would be very tempting to try that.

It was through the Tesla app. They had a list of banks, it linked the bank to Tesla. I did username and password and then I changed my password shortly after I exited the app (which I do every couple months anyway). It worked fine. But I understand if people have different levels of comfort.
I was able to talk to a real person yesterday and I now have it set up that I will bring a cashiers check to the dealer when I take delivery, This eases my mind a bit

IT WORKED!!! 10 minutes after I sent the email they called and said the car came in yesterday, they are checking it out. now, how's 2:30? Good thing it was over the phone...I probably would have kissed him, and that would have been awkward for both of us. My 25 hours just got knocked down to 4 1/2. Good thing I optimistically started my insurance coverage a day early. I'm shaking with excitement.
Is this really happening?? Finally!!! You’ve been waiting a long time!
Congrats!!!

If I wanted to be a little duplicitous what I would do is schedule an appointment for as late as possible on the 31st. Then just don't show up. They won't have enough time to give your car away to someone else. On the next business day (Jan 2?) come in early in the morning. Your car will still be there and ready to go and it will be easier for Tesla to just give it to you then than to try to punish you for not picking up on the 31st.

Now of course I generally believe honesty is the best policy. But if it were I then I think it would be very tempting to try that.
The have my appointment set up for 5 pm on the 31st at the moment, We will see what happens between now and then

Reactions: CarlThompson
Personally I would wait for the next shipment. But I understand that not everybody's situation is the same. I wouldn't want to be beating myself up for missing out on thousands of dollars of potentially free money because I was too impatient.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Personally I would wait for the next shipment. But I understand that not everybody's situation is the same. I wouldn't want to be beating myself up for missing out on thousands of dollars of potentially free money because I was too impatient.
Your profile pic make me thirsty.

Devils advocate: Any bill will be effective at signing, not the 1st or the current EV credits are effed. If you have or had a vin, you'll have 90 days or reset your order. Prices will go up, and the credit may be adjusted for only the RWD, and on and on.

We were given the option to pick up in 2 hours from now, but can't get there. Bummer.

I'm not sure why you think that? The current EV tax credit original bill and the modification were both effective on Jan 1. What is your logic for thinking the next bill would be different?
It's been covered in other threads. TL;DR income caps, hybrids, vehicle eligibility all change from the current EV incentives, and anyone who buys next year (not Tesla) prior to the 'hopeful bill' will have something taken away that may have influenced the decision. It can't pass as written, getting too close to mid terms, etc. Plus, I am taking delivery - so there's that 🎅

I was able to talk to a real person yesterday and I now have it set up that I will bring a cashiers check to the dealer when I take delivery, This eases my mind a bit
Well Karma bit me in the ass with this one. My funds are tied up in electronic limbo on Teslas end. So a cashiers check brought to delivery is not only the safer option, but better transaction wise. As someone who paid early and electronically… Tesla tried taking my money while handing the car to someone else. Now they say it will take 3-5 business days to get my money back. And they didn’t deliver me a car.

Well Karma bit me in the ass with this one. My funds are tied up in electronic limbo on Teslas end. So a cashiers check brought to delivery is not only the safer option, but better transaction wise. As someone who paid early and electronically… Tesla tried taking my money while handing the car to someone else. Now they say it will take 3-5 business days to get my money back. And they didn’t deliver me a car.
100% agreed. My plan is to give them a cashiers check after I have seen the car.

I find this a little weird, The guy that I talked to yesterday even told me that a cashiers check was a better option just in case I didn't get a car at all

I'm getting emails from Tesla finance now that the delivery guy/team has lost or misplaced the large cashier's check I gave them... Asking me to send them a picture over email of a cashier's check? Not that I would if I had bothered to take a pic anyway.

Unbelievable.
Yikes! Better to check the delivery guy's pockets.

Checklist:
1. Photo of the cashier's check.
2. Photo of me giving the check to the delivery guy.

Reactions: Paul4343