Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reached out to a SA and was told my vehicle was built Jan 08, 2022; however, it does not include the new chip.

Here is the response:
“The AMD chip is not being used for all vehicles quite yet since it is quite new. I have personally only seen them in a handful of vehicles. This particular vehicle does not have the AMD chip.”

I wish I was getting the latest-and-greatest, but you can’t keep chasing waterfalls as there will always be updated. I’m just going to accept delivery and enjoy the car
Thats interesting because the agent I spoke to found the computer processor to be Intel based on my vin and build date..what does the last 6 of your vin start with? Because my car was built on same day 01/08
Did you ask the SA if have the new Li battery??

Did you ask the SA if have the new Li battery??
I assumed if the car didn't have ryzen then it wont have the LI Battery..I'll ask tomorrow when I call again
Then what happens if you don't want it because it has Intel Atom? They'll let you go back in line no problem? That car will just go to the next order I guess?
I will put the order on hold (up to 30 days) and then once I lift the hold they'll try to find a car for me (Not 100% sure if that pushes you to the end of the queue), but the current car will go into Tesla's Inventory for sale as some have been showing up and people are scooping them up. Personally for a $55k car I don't mind waiting 1 more month for newer processer. I just hope I get it around same time as both my uncle and brother's MYP's they've ordered.
Anyone here can give me cliff notes on how holds work- do i need to place a hold before my EDD period? Or can I place a hold after a VIN has been assigned. And how long can I expect to put the hold for?
From what I know you can put your car on hold for sometime before the delivery period or you can deny the car at delivery and put on hold then, which will push you back in line...(OG members please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm about to place a hold after the vin has been assigned, and the max you can put the hold on for is 30 days and only once. Once you remove the hold and get assigned a new vin, you will lose your deposit if you deny delivery of the new car and will have to re-order.

You can’t open the doors unless you accept the car and pay for it. Then you get access to the interior. You would need your SA to look it up in the car before your delivery.
Not always the case. I accepted delivery of my MYP and the advisor helping me had card keys on her to the car. I couldn't do much with the screen until I hit 'accept delivery' but I did that already sitting in the driver's seat

You can’t open the doors unless you accept the car and pay for it. Then you get access to the interior. You would need your SA to look it up in the car before your delivery.

That was certainly not my experience when I took delivery though it's been a while now. They were happy to let me spend as much time as I wished inspecting the vehicle inside and out before I signed (or paid for) anything.

I expect this may vary by location though- and probably even from one delivery person to another.

I personally would never (outside of the few states you legally can't avoid it) pay for a new car without fully inspecting it.

Then what happens if you don't want it because it has Intel Atom? They'll let you go back in line no problem? That car will just go to the next order I guess?

Generally yes- there's months long waits for these, they'll just pass yours to the next person waiting and you go back to waiting if you reject it for some reason.

It doesn't. Had a hold from mid December to January 1st and the car is being built now and delivery is expected in a week. If I ordered my car on Jan 1st, I'd be expecting to get it in February-March roughly.
I hope that stays true for me..I'm planning on putting the hold on tomorrow and lifting it at the end of the month so I hope the car comes by end of February..

I'm about to place a hold after the vin has been assigned, and the max you can put the hold on for is 30 days and only once. Once you remove the hold and get assigned a new vin, you will lose your deposit if you deny delivery of the new car and will have to re-order.
Don't know if this has changed, but my hold was for 60 days (i.e., the whole months of Nov and Dec). I had no VIN assigned though when I put the hold.

I assumed if the car didn't have ryzen then it wont have the LI Battery..I'll ask tomorrow when I call again

I will put the order on hold (up to 30 days) and then once I lift the hold they'll try to find a car for me (Not 100% sure if that pushes you to the end of the queue), but the current car will go into Tesla's Inventory for sale as some have been showing up and people are scooping them up. Personally for a $55k car I don't mind waiting 1 more month for newer processer. I just hope I get it around same time as both my uncle and brother's MYP's they've ordered.

From what I know you can put your car on hold for sometime before the delivery period or you can deny the car at delivery and put on hold then, which will push you back in line...(OG members please correct me if I'm wrong)

Yeah, I think it’s hard to get consistent information and it seems from reading alll these posts that not all SAs are reliable with their info. It does sound like having a Li Battery (or not) is the best indication of possibly having the AMD

I want the new chip too, but decided that it’s not worth waiting another month or three. It seems like the model color/combos roll off in batches, may not see another white/white LR untill March after this run.

The new chip loads Netflix 14 seconds faster. Are there really any other benefits at this time?

Can anyone explain why they won't let you into the car until you pay for it in the app. There has to be a way to let you, obviously they got the vehicle off the trailer somehow.

If it is delivered to your house you would get to see the inside of the vehicle before accepting it.

I am not so much concerned about the chip as I am more concerned with inspecting the vehicle thoroughly before I pay for it and accept it.

Based on what I have seen on this forum the last 18 months, it seems to depend on your delivery center.

I personally have taken delivery of two model 3s and a model Y and all of them I have thoroughly inspected inside and out. Nobody at tesla prevented me from doing so. I have also written personal checks and they were accepted.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
Yeah, I think it’s hard to get consistent information and it seems from reading alll these posts that not all SAs are reliable with their info. It does sound like having a Li Battery (or not) is the best indication of possibly having the AMD

I want the new chip too, but decided that it’s not worth waiting another month or three. It seems like the model color/combos roll off in batches, may not see another white/white LR untill March after this run.

The new chip loads Netflix 14 seconds faster. Are there really any other benefits at this time?
It’s not only Netflix or other apps loading faster. With the current (old) Intel Atom chip, users have been reporting screen or camera blackouts or freezing. Frankly speaking that is the only reason why I hope that my VIN comes with the new chip

It’s not only Netflix or other apps loading faster. With the current (old) Intel Atom chip, users have been reporting screen or camera blackouts or freezing. Frankly speaking that is the only reason why I hope that my VIN comes with the new chip
That’s a legit reason, but I think it’s a fairly isolated issue, otherwise there would be pitchforks and tons of msm articles bashing Yeslas, It may even be something fixed through a small software update? I honestly think the double pane rear wi dies would have a more significant impact on the day to day experience than the chip, but I could be wrong. If you wait two months for the AMD, you might as well wait another 2-3 months for a 4680 battery? Then maybe a few more months for a 2023 refresh?

If it is delivered to your house you would get to see the inside of the vehicle before accepting it.
In Oct21, I had a touchless home delivery in Fremont, CA. There was no way to inspect the interior without accepting delivery in the app. I don't have any personal experience with pick-ups, but I've heard that the Irvine, CA delivery center does not allow you into the interior prior to accepting delivery, at least as of recent. So it may be dependent on the delivery center itself.

The whole "is waiting for AMD chip worth it" debate going on is beating a dead horse. We all have our own preferences. I don't mind waiting for newer technology. I understand those who don't care and would rather accept delivery immediately. What I am sick of is people telling other people what they should do.

No, it is not "unreasonable" for a prospective owner to be worried about whether they are getting the new upgrades or not. Please just let people feel confident in their own purchase. $50k+ is a lot of money for some people, and feeling unsure (by accepting delivery of an Intel-equipped car) off the get-go is only going to lead to buyer's remorse.

In Oct21, I had a touchless home delivery in Fremont, CA. There was no way to inspect the interior without accepting delivery in the app. I don't have any personal experience with pick-ups, but I've heard that the Irvine, CA delivery center does not allow you into the interior prior to accepting delivery, at least as of recent. So it may be dependent on the delivery center itself.

The whole "is waiting for AMD chip worth it" debate going on is beating a dead horse. We all have our own preferences. I don't mind waiting for newer technology. I understand those who don't care and would rather accept delivery immediately. What I am sick of is people telling other people what they should do.

No, it is not "unreasonable" for a prospective owner to be worried about whether they are getting the new upgrades or not. Please just let people feel confident in their own purchase. $50k+ is a lot of money for some people, and feeling unsure (by accepting delivery of an Intel-equipped car) off the get-go is only going to lead to buyer's remorse.
Since covid they don’t allow you inside without accepting delivery. They would have to resanitize the car if you went inside then rejected it. We had April 2021 home delivery and they spent 5 minutes cleaning the inside of the car before they let us know it was ready to accept.

On the Intel chips, Tesla has sold millions of M3/MY and there is not a prevalent issue with them. If there was there would be many many complaints here and NHTSA would issue a recall like the MCU1 issue with MS/MX. Sure there are a few here and there but this is a place for complaining and it is not prevalent. Those with issues might just need a restart from time to time like your home computer or cell phone

Reactions: whiskeylover
M3LR, White Exterior, Black Interior, 18" Aero, No FSD, VA

Original order date: August 22, 2021 (SAs have referenced this as my order date on calls)
Updated order date: Sep 19, 2021 (date reflected on Order Agreement - paint change)

EDD History:
  • December 2021 (original)
  • Nov 20 - Nov 24 (on Nov 15)
  • Put on hold Nov 18
  • Took off hold Dec 29
  • Feb 5 - March 5 (on Dec 29)
  • Jan 13 - Jan 27 (on Dec 30)
  • TBD (on Jan 10)
Who else has experienced the "TBD" phenomenon before? Is it a positive, negative, or ambiguous sign for an impending delivery date?
Updated EDD: Jan 25 - Feb 7 (on Jan 11)