Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping I am not the only one on here who actually cares about the environmental impact of consumerism and intends to keep their car for over 3 years 😔
I didn't intend to sell our '18 M3 LR but when hearing about used car values and then on a lark getting some offers on it I felt it was too good of an opportunity to pass up to upgrade to a four model year newer car with many upgrades for only 4k. Also even though I sold it's still another EV on the roads vs. another ICE vehicle so it's win win in that respect. I do agree that the best thing for the environment is reduced consumption overall and that does mean getting as long of a service life as possible out of all things.

Getting mixed answers on holds leaving your place in line or not haha.

Hopefully, you get your vehicle soon regardless!
I agree, mixed information on this. On the other hand I have another friend here in North Carolina who ordered one month earlier (in late September) same config but his color is red, he never put a hold and his EDD is Feb 14 - March 14 :(

It's a random process and resembles a lottery

Reactions: Karthik-M3LR
Getting mixed answers on holds leaving your place in line or not haha.

Hopefully, you get your vehicle soon regardless!
I have heard from multiple SAs, over the course of the past 4 months, that a hold does not change your place in line. They have told me that for your particular car configuration, your current place in line is exclusively based on your order date. When you take your hold off, you take your place in line ahead of anyone who ordered your configuration after you, but behind anyone who ordered it before you (edit: this assumes you are ready to proceed with delivery, which has certain requirements like establishing purchase method, pre-delivery tasks as available, etc.)

This dynamic, I think, partially explains why we've seen order dates getting pushed in the new year (on top of potential supply chain constraints and start-of-quarter timing):
  • Tesla appeared to force a bunch of older orders to end their holds before year-end 2021 to try to squeeze in those deliveries, but is unlikely to have successfully fulfilled every single one of them by year-end. This has likely created a temporary surge of older orders that will be fulfilled more quickly, since they're all at the front of the line. Once we're through the backlog, we should see a normalization in the delivery schedule (barring supply chain or manufacturing capacity constraints)
  • If a bunch of people from October and November also took their orders off hold voluntarily in late December, whether due to Build Back Better being killed or other, that would have also pushed back the possible delivery dates for everyone who ordered after them in December and January
  • For the sake of the example, if there is an even earlier cohort of people who ordered in August and September that decided to take off their holds in early January, that would have pushed back the possible delivery dates for everyone who ordered in September and October

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard from multiple SAs, over the course of the past 4 months, that holds do not change your place in line. They have told me that for your particular car configuration, your current place in line is exclusively based on your order date. When you take your hold off, you take your place in line ahead of anyone who ordered your configuration after you, but behind anyone who ordered it before you.

This dynamic, I think, partially explains why we've seen order dates getting pushed in the new year (on top of potential supply chain constraints and start-of-quarter timing):
  • Tesla appeared to force a bunch of older orders to end their holds before year-end 2021 to try to squeeze in those deliveries, but is unlikely to have successfully fulfilled every single one of them by year-end. This has likely created a temporary surge of older orders that will be fulfilled more quickly, since they're all at the front of the line. Once we're through the backlog, we should see a normalization in the delivery schedule (barring supply chain or manufacturing capacity constraints)
  • If a bunch of people from October and November also take their orders off hold voluntarily in late December, whether due to Build Back Better being killed or any other reason, that will also push back the possible delivery dates for everyone who ordered after them in December and January
  • For the sake of the example, if there is an even earlier cohort of people who ordered in August and September that decides to take off their holds in early January, that will push back the possible delivery dates for everyone who ordered in September and October
I should add that EDD is worthless until you get your VIN, and even then it can be spotty. I've seen stories of people's cars being damaged in transit, delivered to the wrong location, or found defective once they reach a service center—all things that would change your EDD even after a VIN is assigned.

Also a caveat that my comment on a hold not changing your place in line is for customers ready to take delivery - if you don't have your ducks in a row (e.g., purchase method (such as financing) lined up and other pre-delivery tasks as available), you will not be at prioritized for inventory cars that pop up before your EDD because someone rejected a VIN, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s the frustrating part. I received a text about 2 weeks ago from Tesla that they were preparing for my upcoming delivery (my EDD was Jan 10th-24th) with explanations on touch-less delivery and also asked if I had any changes to make. So I changed from cash to 3rd party loan, got pre-approved so everything was setup because I thought things were moving and close. Then yesterday my EDD changed to Feb 18th-March 18th.
Did you receive a VIN? I wouldn't do anything until a VIN is officially assigned to me.

I should add that EDD is worthless until you get your VIN, and even then it can be spotty.

Also a caveat that my comment on holds not changing your place in line is for customers ready to take delivery - if you don't have your ducks in a row (e.g., purchase method (such as financing) lined up, driver's license uploaded to the website, insurance uploaded to the website), you will not be at prioritized for inventory cars that pop up before your EDD because someone rejected a VIN, for example.
I don't have an option to upload the insurance, plus I did self arranged financing so that's all filled out but there's no check mark. Is there supposed to be a check mark at the payment thing? Just wanna make sure I'm all set because I need this car soon, otherwise I'm taking a taxi to work :(

I have heard from multiple SAs, over the course of the past 4 months, that holds do not change your place in line. They have told me that for your particular car configuration, your current place in line is exclusively based on your order date. When you take your hold off, you take your place in line ahead of anyone who ordered your configuration after you, but behind anyone who ordered it before you (edit: this assumes you are ready to proceed with delivery, which has certain requirements like establishing purchase method, pre-delivery tasks as available, etc.)

• If a bunch of people from October and November also take their orders off hold voluntarily in late December, whether due to Build Back Better being killed or any other reason, that will also push back the possible delivery dates for everyone who ordered after them in December and January
  • For the sake of the example, if there is an even earlier cohort of people who ordered in August and September that decides to take off their holds in early January, that will push back the possible delivery dates for everyone who ordered in September and October
I agree with this. My order date was August 6, I put a hold on it and released it on 12/19. Got my VIN on 1/10.

I do think that those people that put holds to delay in case of BBB all of a sudden released their holds in late Dec and now the surge has pushed orders out.

I don't have an option to upload the insurance, plus I did self arranged financing so that's all filled out but there's no check mark. Is there supposed to be a check mark at the payment thing? Just wanna make sure I'm all set because I need this car soon, otherwise I'm taking a taxi to work :(
No, you're good, sorry to concern you - some of the pre-delivery tasks that were available to me when I ordered back in August (e.g., uploading driver's license and proof of insurance) may not be available anymore until you have a VIN. I'm sure I'll have to re-upload everything based on the new framework.

I have edited my post accordingly - as long as you've done everything available to you, that's all you can do for now!

No, you're good, sorry to concern you - some of the pre-delivery tasks that were available to me when I ordered back in August (e.g., uploading driver's license and proof of insurance) do not appear to be available anymore until you have a VIN. I'm sure I'll have to re-upload everything based on the new framework.

I have edited my post accordingly - as long as you've done everything available to you, that's all you can do for now!
Oh, ok, got it. Thank you!
I should mention though, my OD was 12/10 and I did have to upload my driver's license, but nothing about insurance.

Reactions: suremail6638
Oh, ok, got it. Thank you!
I should mention though, my OD was 12/10 and I did have to upload my driver's license, but nothing about insurance.
I ordered mine on November 12th, and have filled out the address and driver's license. The rest according to SA will be available once the VIN is available, payment, insurance, and so on. It is still not accessible on my app because I still don't have a VIN or an estimate for my delivery. (Getting mine delivered from Paramus, NJ to NH)

Reactions: ProLeopard
Once you receive VIN, for those who have done this a time or two - Should one wait to upload insurance and pay the down payment once the delivery date has been determined?

I quoted insurance, but am obviously not going to place that on my policy until I at least know when I am picking the vehicle up.... Seems adding insurance at this stage is a bit funky, especially since state law covers a vehicle that you purchase, on your current policy (for a certain number of days).

Looking forward to the thoughts of others...