Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: dreaded day came again, EDD just got pushed back another month new dates are 2/9-3/9. Quickly losing hope of getting this car in a reasonable time frame.

OD: 10/10 never put on hold either
What's your config? my OD was 10/24 and it was put on hold twice after receiving vin twice. Now I have a delivery timeframe of Jan 31 - Feb 2. Mine's standard white/black 18 wheel

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn. Doing me dirty over here.

To use you as an example, great explanation of why many of us are still on month-long windows: parameter uncertainty in the ordering system.

Your order date pre-dates mine by three weeks, if they crop your hold Jan 21/Jan 22 based on the 90-day hold policy, you'll skip me (same config and delivery center). Which is totally your right based on the order date sorting scheme. Not at all mad, I'm in no rush for a car, just an illustrative example of the Tesla model in action.
Not sure about this, Tesla may move me to the back of the line. The updated order document they sent to me shows Jan 18 now as the order date though the reservation number stayed the same. Let's see, I'll update my EDD once the order comes off the hold.

Last edited:
I disagree - I think it depends on configuration and location. My EDD from original order date in November was February 2022. I even placed a hold on it until Jan 1 (as did a lot of October / November orders). I still have received a vin and scheduled delivery date by the end of January which is earlier than my original est. I am assuming if I ordered a color combination that is not quite as common it may have taken longer. I also wouldn't be surprised if your EDD moves up the closer you get to Feb 13th, mine did several times.
If I get my car anytime in Feb I’ll be happy since my wait will be less than 2 months. Congrats on your delivery date and enjoy the car!

Reactions: jhstl
I disagree - I think it depends on configuration and location. My EDD from original order date in November was February 2022. I even placed a hold on it until Jan 1 (as did a lot of October / November orders). I still have received a vin and scheduled delivery date by the end of January which is earlier than my original est. I am assuming if I ordered a color combination that is not quite as common it may have taken longer. I also wouldn't be surprised if your EDD moves up the closer you get to Feb 13th, mine did several times.

It ABSOLUTELY depends on those factors AS WELL as countless other variables including, but not limited to, supply, VIP orders, labor supply, etc etc etc. People trying to find rhyme or reason to this are on a fools errand IMHO. Look it's painful I get it (been waiting 2 months with 7 EDD changes). That said, just pick the latest date you've been told and assume it will be a month after that. This way you most likely won't be disappointed.

Honestly I think they do themselves a disservice on this front. They get people's hopes up then move dates out. That's a cardinal sales sin. You should ALWAYS under promise and over deliver...they seem to employ the opposite.

Really debating whether to take the car that will be ready next weekend or go on hold and wait for a Ryzen car. Seems like if you go on hold for any period of time you probably won't see a new car for a few months once you lift the hold.

Why? The existing chip has been used in tens of thousands of cars and really never mentioned as an issue until Ryzen came out. I've watched dozens of pro and con tesla videos and the chip was never brough up...UNTIL the new chip. That tells me if you have only experienced the intel chip, then it's absolutely fine and will be a pleasure to drive.

Why? The existing chip has been used in tens of thousands of cars and really never mentioned as an issue until Ryzen came out. I've watched dozens of pro and con tesla videos and the chip was never brough up...UNTIL the new chip. That tells me if you have only experienced the intel chip, then it's absolutely fine and will be a pleasure to drive.
This is not a push for anyone to/not to wait. But I can understand the rationale, as I'm considering selling the car I'm about to pick up (I can't unmatch) and place a new order. Crazy? Maybe. I also don't NEED a car as I live in a city and haven't had one for months.

My personal rationale is that I'm a huge techie - I love the newest and fastest things. When I make large purchases, I always go for the nicest technology, within reason, because I value the capability and response.

With regards to the statement of this never being brought up until the new CPU, I'd disagree. One of my biggest complaints with my 2020 was the response on the MCU. Loading up sentry / dashcam footage was a nightmare, and I found myself sitting in parking lots way too long checking the alerts. That may not be important for some people, but an extra 5-10 minutes after leaving a busy place, that's a lot of time.

Really debating whether to take the car that will be ready next weekend or go on hold and wait for a Ryzen car. Seems like if you go on hold for any period of time you probably won't see a new car for a few months once you lift the hold.
Well, if you are not in a hurry and do not need the car right away, it might not hurt to take delivery later. That was the case for me, I am fine if I can take delivery before June.

I understand the impatience and anxiety many are experiencing with changing DDs. I'm waiting too, but for perspective, I think we need to remember that most auto manufacturers are worse. For example, I ordered a new Audi RS5 in October and by December still had no idea if and when the order might be filled by Audi. Based on other orders at my dealership, it appeared it would likely not be available until summer 2022. I cancelled the order in Dec after deciding to get a M3 LR.

The fact that Tesla is, in most cases, still making and delivering cars within a few months of ordering is somewhat unique in the industry. I also find it hard to understand why color would make a difference in DD, as most plants can paint each car any of the available colors as it goes through the paint booth. I expect the variations in deliveries are more related to distribution challenges around the country/world which are being experienced by many industries these days. Obviously, if a car delivered to the east coast becomes available due to a hold or cancellation, it is going to be re-assigned to a nearby buyer, not to someone some distance away that happens to have an earlier OD.

Finally, FWIW, I find it odd that people show FSD info on their config, given that it is totally independent of the manufacturing process and therefore has no bearing on deliveries.

Let's all take a deep breath and relax. Gotta go, as I haven't checked my app in an hour!

That would certainly be an interesting wrinkle. Possibly resetting the OD because of unmatching two VINs??
I actually did not unmatch two VINs. When I had my first hold I never had a VIN assigned. On the other hand, when I put my second hold, I had a VIN assigned and rejected it. I did the color change after my second hold which updated my order date to Jan 18 but kept my order reference number the same.

I also find it hard to understand why color would make a difference in DD, as most plants can paint each car any of the available colors as it goes through the paint booth.

Its easier to batch build than build onesie twosie. The paint is still done with the same robots, so clearing the old paint color after each car takes time and my guess is they used to do the constant changes between cars and they were having color consistency/uniformity issues (and lets face it, as is paint is one of the biggest complaints from tesla owners)

I understand the impatience and anxiety many are experiencing with changing DDs. I'm waiting too, but for perspective, I think we need to remember that most auto manufacturers are worse. For example, I ordered a new Audi RS5 in October and by December still had no idea if and when the order might be filled by Audi. Based on other orders at my dealership, it appeared it would likely not be available until summer 2022. I cancelled the order in Dec after deciding to get a M3 LR.

The fact that Tesla is, in most cases, still making and delivering cars within a few months of ordering is somewhat unique in the industry. I also find it hard to understand why color would make a difference in DD, as most plants can paint each car any of the available colors as it goes through the paint booth. I expect the variations in deliveries are more related to distribution challenges around the country/world which are being experienced by many industries these days. Obviously, if a car delivered to the east coast becomes available due to a hold or cancellation, it is going to be re-assigned to a nearby buyer, not to someone some distance away that happens to have an earlier OD.

Finally, FWIW, I find it odd that people show FSD info on their config, given that it is totally independent of the manufacturing process and therefore has no bearing on deliveries.

Let's all take a deep breath and relax. Gotta go, as I haven't checked my app in an hour!
You make some fair points, my issue with the delivery time frame has to do with the fact that when you order they give an estimated delivery month that in my case is going to be at least 2 months off if not more. If they had initially listed that the delivery would be sometime in March when i ordered in October i wouldn't be nearly as frustrated. In fact if they had advertised march and i end up getting it in February i would be excited instead of feeling let down every day when i check my status. Plus if the estimated dates were more pessimistic in timing then i would have known to order it earlier. Ive seen very few cars actually be delivered within the initial advertised time frame which isn't an issue for many but i ordered at a specific time because i needed the car by a specific time. I even accounted for an entire extra month in case of delays as i am well aware of part shortages recently. As far as the FSD, with how random vin assignments seem to be i really wouldn't be surprised if they prioritized orders with FSD as its an extra 10k more for Tesla without having to really do any extra work.

Reactions: Doggerton
Update: dreaded day came again, EDD just got pushed back another month new dates are 2/9-3/9. Quickly losing hope of getting this car in a reasonable time frame.

OD: 10/10 never put on hold either
That doesn't seem right. My OD is 10/08, and I'm getting my car in 5 days. Walk into a Tesla showroom and talk to the guy. He should be able to look it up on his computer right in front of you and tell you what's happening. Did you complete all the pre-tasks?

Reactions: Doggerton