Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really debating whether to take the car that will be ready next weekend or go on hold and wait for a Ryzen car. Seems like if you go on hold for any period of time you probably won't see a new car for a few months once you lift the hol

You make some fair points, my issue with the delivery time frame has to do with the fact that when you order they give an estimated delivery month that in my case is going to be at least 2 months off if not more. If they had initially listed that the delivery would be sometime in March when i ordered in October i wouldn't be nearly as frustrated. In fact if they had advertised march and i end up getting it in February i would be excited instead of feeling let down every day when i check my status. Plus if the estimated dates were more pessimistic in timing then i would have known to order it earlier. Ive seen very few cars actually be delivered within the initial advertised time frame which isn't an issue for many but i ordered at a specific time because i needed the car by a specific time. I even accounted for an entire extra month in case of delays as i am well aware of part shortages recently. As far as the FSD, with how random vin assignments seem to be i really wouldn't be surprised if they prioritized orders with FSD as its an extra 10k more for Tesla without having to really do any extra work.
Not defending Tesla here by any means, but from everything I read in this thread its no wonder delivery times are all over the place. People put on hold, then remove, then hold again, then get a VIN, then remove the VIN, then wait. I want the rebate, I want the Ryzen, I want the battery......................I changed my mind, I'm waiting for the new 2023 front end design that is rumored...........

In my opinion more than one hold should = back of the line...........I may be in the minority though.

That doesn't seem right. My OD is 10/08, and I'm getting my car in 5 days. Walk into a Tesla showroom and talk to the guy. He should be able to look it up on his computer right in front of you and tell you what's happening. Did you complete all the pre-tasks?
All tasks completed, and I have talked to I think 6 different people now about getting some more detailed information (including going to the delivery center I'm picking up from). Every single person has told me the exact same thing " we are only able to see the same information that is provided to you". I truly don't know how some peoples SAs are able to give them upcoming build dates and other info when every single one I've spoken too claims they cant see anything more than what I can (even when asking in person with the SA who will most likely be the one getting my paperwork done on delivery day).

RECEIVED MY VIN YESTERDAY MORNING!!! YEAH!!!!! Recieved a text and e-mail a couple hours later to schedule delivery. To my suprise, I don't have to go to the delivery center to pick it up. They are delivering it to my house on 1/21. So excited. After delivery, I'll check what chip, 12v battery and if it has the rear side double pane windows and report back. VIN is 161***

M3LR / Blue / Black / 18" / No FSD
OD 10/30/2021
1st VIN Posted 12/21/2021
Received Schedule Delivery Text on 12/21/2021
Released VIN and placed delivery hold on 12/23/2021
Released hold on 1/1/2022
1/2/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/6/2022: EDD 1/14/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/11/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/14/2022: EDD 1/16/2022 to 1/29/2022
1/17/2022: EDD 1/19/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/18/2022: VIN RECEIVED!!!! # 161*** - Est Delivery 1/20/2022 to 1/24/2022
1/18/2022: Scheduled Home Delivery for 1/21/2022 between 0800 to 1200

All tasks completed, and I have talked to I think 6 different people now about getting some more detailed information (including going to the delivery center I'm picking up from). Every single person has told me the exact same thing " we are only able to see the same information that is provided to you". I truly don't know how some peoples SAs are able to give them upcoming build dates and other info when every single one I've spoken too claims they cant see anything more than what I can (even when asking in person with the SA who will most likely be the one getting my paperwork done on delivery day).
Sorry, that sucks. Do you have MSM? That seems to delay orders a bit.

Your last resort may be to threaten them with order cancellation and getting your deposit back thru small claims :D

Sorry, that sucks. Do you have MSM? That seems to delay orders a bit.

Your last resort may be to threaten them with order cancellation and getting your deposit back thru small claims :D
mine is blue/black 18" wheels, my birthday is coming up in February and I've decided that if i don't have any good news by then I'm just going to cancel and go buy something else.

Not sure about this, Tesla may move me to the back of the line. The updated order document they sent to me shows Jan 18 now as the order date though the reservation number stayed the same. Let's see, I'll update my EDD once the order comes off the hold.

Ugh! This should be a lesson for me to always verify when I read something online! I'd previously read that changing your paint color does not affect your order date or general timeline for delivery so I've actually switched colors a couple of times on a whim. I'm now back at my original color choice (white) but looking at my order agreement I now see the order date is listed as Jan 3 which was the last time I made a change. Strangely my EDD never changed at the time I made any of these color changes. However, my EDD did change yesterday but it only got pushed 11 days to Jan 27 - Feb 24 which doesn't seem far enough if it were indeed reflecting a Jan 3 order date.

If my order was indeed pushed back I have no one to blame but myself for not verifying the info first.

With regards to the statement of this never being brought up until the new CPU, I'd disagree. One of my biggest complaints with my 2020 was the response on the MCU. Loading up sentry / dashcam footage was a nightmare, and I found myself sitting in parking lots way too long checking the alerts. That may not be important for some people, but an extra 5-10 minutes after leaving a busy place, that's a lot of time.

I'm a huge techie too and I like having the latest and greatest so I will wait for the Ryzen.

But on my previous Model 3 I never noticed any slowness watching sentry or dashcam footage in the car. I wonder if your slowness might not have been because of the CPU but something else? I did use a fast SSD instead of slow thumb drive or SD card so maybe that's the difference?

Not sure about this, Tesla may move me to the back of the line. The updated order document they sent to me shows Jan 18 now as the order date though the reservation number stayed the same. Let's see, I'll update my EDD once the order comes off the hold.
I wonder what the SA would say if you called in to ask about your order. When I changed my paint job back to MSM they sent a new order agreement with 12/19 as the OD, but they continue to refer to the 11/11 OD when I call in. I've been told at least three times now that the configuration change does not change the original OD for sorting purposes.

That being said, I could see Elon sneaking in a new policy to bump config changes to the back of the line...

Not defending Tesla here by any means, but from everything I read in this thread its no wonder delivery times are all over the place. People put on hold, then remove, then hold again, then get a VIN, then remove the VIN, then wait. I want the rebate, I want the Ryzen, I want the battery......................I changed my mind, I'm waiting for the new 2023 front end design that is rumored...........

In my opinion more than one hold should = back of the line...........I may be in the minority though.
Holds of existing orders can be factored into the overall EDD estimates in my opinion and do not change the structure of the line of customers waiting for that particular configuration. However, I would vote for that a config/color change should put you to the back of the line; i.e., as if you made a new order on that config/color change date.

Reactions: Doggerton
Holds of existing orders can be factored into the overall EDD estimates in my opinion and do not change the structure of the line of customers waiting for that particular configuration. However, I would vote for that a config/color change should put you to the back of the line; i.e., as if you made a new order on that config/color change date.
I can see that. I know that when I signed up to get this car I'd have to wait, but at least an argument I have for putting the people who hold >1 times at the end of the line is: they clearly have time to wait. They don't need this car ASAP for whatever reason. For people like me, who might be in the minority (I have no idea), this will be my only car. When my job starts in March, if Tesla hasn't delivered my car, I'll have to get a taxi to work. I understand I sorta signed up for that, even though my car said it would be delivered in December when I bought it, I knew I had to wait. I'm just saying that my tolerance for waiting is much lower than someone who has the time to wait for holds and whatnot, if that makes sense.

Completely agree!!! All of this breathless holding, cancelling, removing holds, unmatching VINs is a bunch of nonsense.

I can see that. I know that when I signed up to get this car I'd have to wait, but at least an argument I have for putting the people who hold >1 times at the end of the line is: they clearly have time to wait. They don't need this car ASAP for whatever reason. For people like me, who might be in the minority (I have no idea), this will be my only car. When my job starts in March, if Tesla hasn't delivered my car, I'll have to get a taxi to work. I understand I sorta signed up for that, even though my car said it would be delivered in December when I bought it, I knew I had to wait. I'm just saying that my tolerance for waiting is much lower than someone who has the time to wait for holds and whatnot, if that makes sense.
100%. I am borrowing my husband's car when I need to use one until mine arrives. We just moved to a new home which is more remote, so I can't walk anywhere, and I am itching to get this car.

Reactions: ProLeopard
I can see that. I know that when I signed up to get this car I'd have to wait, but at least an argument I have for putting the people who hold >1 times at the end of the line is: they clearly have time to wait. ...

Might not be always the case. Someone's financial or personal situation might have caused a temporary hold and unless Tesla specifically asks for the reason there is no way of telling why the person did put a hold.

Reactions: hlin07
Might not be always the case. Someone's financial or personal situation might have caused a temporary hold and unless Tesla specifically asks for the reason there is no way of telling why the person did put a hold.
You are correct, but I think any person that has perused this thread can say with a pretty high level of certainty that a large majority of the holds and releases have been due to the potential rebate and new hardware...........IMO Sorry bout your luck, but if you hold more than once, back of the line you go...........the many ruin it for the few that actually need to hold.

Reactions: ProLeopard
RECEIVED MY VIN YESTERDAY MORNING!!! YEAH!!!!! Recieved a text and e-mail a couple hours later to schedule delivery. To my suprise, I don't have to go to the delivery center to pick it up. They are delivering it to my house on 1/21. So excited. After delivery, I'll check what chip, 12v battery and if it has the rear side double pane windows and report back. VIN is 161***

M3LR / Blue / Black / 18" / No FSD
OD 10/30/2021
1st VIN Posted 12/21/2021
Received Schedule Delivery Text on 12/21/2021
Released VIN and placed delivery hold on 12/23/2021
Released hold on 1/1/2022
1/2/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/6/2022: EDD 1/14/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/11/2022: EDD 1/13/2022 to 2/10/2022
1/14/2022: EDD 1/16/2022 to 1/29/2022
1/17/2022: EDD 1/19/2022 to 1/28/2022
1/18/2022: VIN RECEIVED!!!! # 161*** - Est Delivery 1/20/2022 to 1/24/2022
1/18/2022: Scheduled Home Delivery for 1/21/2022 between 0800 to 1200
Congrats!!! Nice to see some are getting delivered in SoCal, that gives me a lot of hope.