Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we're all desperately refreshing our Tesla account for our VIN, how many of you are installing a home charging solution prior to delivery?

I went with a 240V NEMA 14-50 because the 30% federal tax credit was not renewed and my local rebate requires a permit (my city makes getting a permit harder than getting a Tesla with no panel gaps). Paid ~$200 for material+labor since I already had the breaker box in my garage. Just bought the $30 wall mount from Tesla -- good enough for me.
Same here, NEMA 14-50 installed first week of December, way ahead of car delivery :)

Reactions: lexapro
While we're all desperately refreshing our Tesla account for our VIN, how many of you are installing a home charging solution prior to delivery?

I went with a 240V NEMA 14-50 because the 30% federal tax credit was not renewed and my local rebate requires a permit (my city makes getting a permit harder than getting a Tesla with no panel gaps). Paid ~$200 for material+labor since I already had the breaker box in my garage. Just bought the $30 wall mount from Tesla -- good enough for me.
I mostly just drive around town as I work from home, so I just got the 14-30 to plug into our extra dryer outlet for now, but depending on rebates, I may have the wall charger installed later. I want to get the car first and see how it goes.

Reactions: lexapro and TesEv
I agonized over the charging solution for weeks. I started by considering the dryer connection, then decided on adding a new circuit with a 14-50 recepticle. But after reading that so many forum members were biding their time by accessorizing, I put my extra pennies toward the Tesla wall connector.

Now, instead of agonizing over my charging choices, it's the charging rate. Should I install better wiring to get 48A? Can my breaker box handle a 60A breaker? Will it snow the day the electrician is scheduled? Great exercise climbing this wall of worry.

Did you text them and inquire about the processor and 12V battery? That's how I got feedback on my 156xxx and 158xxx VIN. Both had Intel and the 12V lead-acid battery.
I plan to call them today and ask about that and a few other procedural things specific to my case. I expect they'll text in a few days, but seeing as it's Monday morning I'll give them a couple hours to let the barrage of calls slow down.

I agonized over the charging solution for weeks. I started by considering the dryer connection, then decided on adding a new circuit with a 14-50 recepticle. But after reading that so many forum members were biding their time by accessorizing, I put my extra pennies toward the Tesla wall connector.

Now, instead of agonizing over my charging choices, it's the charging rate. Should I install better wiring to get 48A? Can my breaker box handle a 60A breaker? Will it snow the day the electrician is scheduled? Great exercise climbing this wall of worry.
FWIW, I've never used anything other than the standard 110 cable that comes with the car. We have a Y and have never had any kind of concern with getting it recharged enough

The first electrician I called said he couldn't install a 60A breaker, he'd have to upgrade my breaker box and my meter to the tune of $4500, otherwise he could only do 40 amps with my wall connector.

The second electrician I called said he could install a 60A breaker, and they broke down the math for me. I have no idea what was up with that first electrician.

The first electrician I called said he couldn't install a 60A breaker, he'd have to upgrade my breaker box and my meter to the tune of $4500, otherwise he could only do 40 amps with my wall connector.

The second electrician I called said he could install a 60A breaker, and they broke down the math for me. I have no idea what was up with that first electrician.
I went with a new subpanel box in the garage on 100A breaker - 60A breaker from sub-panel to Tesla Wall Charger -- all-in with the electric work + charger = $2,448 here in PA -- just finished my taxes and claiming that sweet sweet 30% deduction on the installation as it was installed on 12/31/21

Reactions: Paul4343

The 30% federal tax credit applies if you had this installed prior to Dec 31, 2021. Did you have this installed in January?

Both electricians I've had out would not put in a smaller breaker. They would only pull 6/2 with a 60 amp breaker. I have a 60 amp subpanel for our pool so I lucked out but wasn't anticipating going the full 60, only want 40.

I went with a new subpanel box in the garage on 100A breaker - 60A breaker from sub-panel to Tesla Wall Charger -- all-in with the electric work + charger = $2,448 here in PA -- just finished my taxes and claiming that sweet sweet 30% deduction on the installation as it was installed on 12/31/21
Nice, PA still has the EV tax break, though it is very small and capped at 50K. Will help you get some more money back if you qualify.

I installed a 60 amp breaker too but decided to stick with the 32amp charger. I did the install myself, all for $146 in wiring and parts. Plus the obligatory beer and then I had to show my wife like I was 5...ahh the things that entertain me

The Amazon and virtually most mud flaps will rub the paint where the side of the flap meets the vehicles paint. It will slowly score it. Therefore install clear film in the areas where the flap will touch the paint. Ask me how I know…
WOW! Great advise!! I was debating wether to install the mudd flaps before I drive it down to the shop to have it PPFd or install it afterwards. My Tesla service appointment for the panel gap and rock chip to my headlight upon delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, so I'm eager to install some accessories to my new baby.

The 100 mile limit will be a challenge for me, as the nearest Service Center where I'll be picking mine up is 97 miles away from where I live. Curious why they use mileage rather than time, and how they verify mileage.
They record what the miles are upon delivery. For example, if you are picking up your car at the delivery center, they will record what the milage is from that point. If they deliver your car to your home, which is 97 miles away, they will record the mileage from the time you accept delivery...so if they drove it to your house, it will likely be just over 100 miles, but your clock would start from there.

I highly recommend you bring an inspection checklist with you when you take delivery. Throughly check the exterior's panels (one at a time), the lines, the weatherstriping (one of mine was missing at the trunk area), the paint, the headlights (mine had a rock chip), tires, wheel scuffs, the undercarriage. Check the interior paint when you open the doors, trunk, frunk, charging port. Make sure the doors and windows all open and close with ease. Check the interior stitching on the seats, etc. Spend lots of time doing your inspection, then address it right away with the service center before you take delivery since you're there already. They may be able to fix right away, or at least schedule it for you. Make sure to take pictures of every issue and upload it to your service request through your app if they can't get it fixed while you're there. It's all about documenting the issues. While you drive your car within the first 100 miles, listen for any issues...wind noise, etc...check your audio system...check your AC and heater, heated grips, etc...make sure everything works.

Good luck to you!!

Question to those that have removed an assigned VIN to get a later delivery. How long did it take to get an EDD after you removed the original VIN? I did a 24 hour hold on Sat to get rid of an assigned Intel chip VIN and still haven't seen an updated EDD for a new VIN (hoping for a recently built 161+ VIN Ryzen car).