Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a given amps (up to 32 anyway) the performance is going to be exactly the same. What I mean is, if one puts in a 40amp circuit thats connected to a 14-50 (or 6-50 ) outlet, the speed that would charge at is 32 amps (80% of 40amps) and either a wall connector or the mobile connector would be the exact same speed.

Where the wall connector is "faster" (for the vehicle we are talking about in this thread which is the LR tesla model 3) is that it supports up to a 60amp circuit (48amp charging) which is the fastest the car can go for Level 2 home charging. If one puts a 14-50 outlet in, with a 50 amp circuit, which would technically allow 40amp charging (80% rule), the mobile connector will still only go 32amps because thats its max.

Conversely, a lot of new owners think they need to keep the mobile connector in the car (I know I did, and I read about it daily here in fact), but it usually isnt the case unless you are one who goes off the beaten path a lot.

In the more than 3 years I have had my model 3, the only times I have used my mobile connector while traveling somewhere, were places I knew I was going to use it (mother in laws house for holidays for example).

I have a wall connector, and will admit freely that part of why I have it is because it "looks more finished" than the mobile connector. There is nothing wrong with using the mobile connector long term, though, lots do (maybe even more than buy the wall connector).
Yep 👍🏽

the Ohmmu battery is an aftermarket Li-Ion battery thats $450 or so. It has also (twice now) had issues where it has thrown errors because of changes in tesla software updates. Ohmmu has been responsive, and has had to swap batteries for some people, but it should not be considered "seemless" like an OEM solution.

I have a model 3 with the "regular" battery, and the cost from tesla to replace it is $85. As someone said, coming from the world of BMW, a battery that cost $129 for tesla to swap for me, out the door, in my driveway with mobile service (or $85 for the part), is not a huge concern for me personally. I just had tesla swap my battery a few months ago.

NOTE:.. I am not making ANY judgement or comment on what people may or may not want to wait for in their own cars. Just passing on that the "regular" battery is fairly cheap as car batteries go, especially if you are used to paying something like "BMW prices" where the AGM battery was 400 for just the part, or the li Ion was "more than that".
Point taken. How long did your 12V battery last? Also, was their a warning message that you got that you need to replace the battery or did you pre-emptively change it? Reading people being stranded caused me to wait for the longer lasting Li-Ion battery.

I had the same question - I went with wall connector installation in December. 1. it can charge little faster compared to 14-50, and 2. there was also the 30% tax credit. Wall connector is just a elegant solution, and if you don’t need the extra charging speed, 14-50 will serve you good. My neighbor has 14-50, and we don’t see a ton of difference in daily usage.
I hope that 30% fed credit is extended. That will make my decision a lot easier 🤞

• Love
Reactions: Doggerton
I am still waiting…but started to think about the charger. I will have an electrician to run wire from basement sub panel to garage regardless. I don’t know if I want to just go with a 14-50 or bite the bullet to get the wall charger (another ~$600) so that I can keep my mobile charger in the car??🤔
I decided to go just with the 14-50 installation to have more flexibility down the road in case I switch to a different make EV in the future.

Reactions: EvDoss
Point taken. How long did your 12V battery last? Also, was their a warning message that you got that you need to replace the battery or did you pre-emptively change it? Reading people being stranded caused me to wait for the longer lasting Li-Ion battery.

Note to anyone reading saying I am taking thread off topic, a number of pages ago, there was a consensus by active thread participants that this type of conversation was desired in this thread, as long as it was not "why are you waiting / not waiting for Ryzen / li-ion / double glazed windows".

With that out of the way.

I proactively replaced mine after 3 years, as some people seemed to have issues with it (12V battery) between 2-3 years. Thats when I found out how "inexpensive" it was, and tesla does not charge extra for mobile service, so I had it replaced proactively, in my driveway, while taking meetings and working from home, for $129 Out the door. I could have also just bought the part and did it myself but for the small charge for mobile service to install it, that was worth it for me.

I also did the wall charger - and actually went with ChargePoint because local utility was giving $500 off plus smart charging rates for compatible chargers (Tesla not being on the list). Hopefully this doesn't turn into a massive pain, but I can always swap wall unit with no real loss because the ChargePoint was soooo discounted...

Reactions: CreoUCLA and TesEv
At a given amps (up to 32 anyway) the performance is going to be exactly the same. What I mean is, if one puts in a 40amp circuit thats connected to a 14-50 (or 6-50 ) outlet, the speed that would charge at is 32 amps (80% of 40amps) and either a wall connector or the mobile connector would be the exact same speed.

Where the wall connector is "faster" (for the vehicle we are talking about in this thread which is the LR tesla model 3) is that it supports up to a 60amp circuit (48amp charging) which is the fastest the car can go for Level 2 home charging. If one puts a 14-50 outlet in, with a 50 amp circuit, which would technically allow 40amp charging (80% rule), the mobile connector will still only go 32amps because thats its max.

Conversely, a lot of new owners think they need to keep the mobile connector in the car (I know I did, and I read about it daily here in fact), but it usually isnt the case unless you are one who goes off the beaten path a lot.

In the more than 3 years I have had my model 3, the only times I have used my mobile connector while traveling somewhere, were places I knew I was going to use it (mother in laws house for holidays for example).

I have a wall connector, and will admit freely that part of why I have it is because it "looks more finished" than the mobile connector. There is nothing wrong with using the mobile connector long term, though, lots do (maybe even more than buy the wall connector).
That’s absolutely right. Now you are making me going back and forth again. Haha.

I also did the wall charger - and actually went with ChargePoint because local utility was giving $500 off plus smart charging rates for compatible chargers (Tesla not being on the list). Hopefully this doesn't turn into a massive pain, but I can always swap wall unit with no real loss because the ChargePoint was soooo discounted...

it shouldnt be much of a pain, you will just need to use the J1772 adapter that comes with the car on the end of your chargepoint charger. Lots of people do that. Just remember to take that adapter with you when you go somewhere, as THAT is something you want to have with you (a J1772 charging adapter).

Reactions: T4M3

Just to add another data point here. I've had my mobile charger connected to 14-50 outdoor for more than 2 years now. So far, no issues. Knock on wood of course.

There are plenty of 14-50 Nema to J1772 chargers people can buy and leave the mobile charger in the car just in case. Whatever your preference is.

Just to add another data point here. I've had my mobile charger connected to 14-50 outdoor for more than 2 years now. So far, no issues. Knock on wood of course.

There are plenty of 14-50 Nema to J1772 chargers people can buy and leave the mobile charger in the car just in case. Whatever your preference is.

yeah, I still drive around with the mobile adapter in the car even though I now know I dont need to (lol). I just put in an order for a model Y performance to replace my wifes X3, and hunted down another wall connector for power sharing. I dont need that, I could simply move the plug between our two cars as needed, but a lot of stuff isnt about "need".

She said "am I gonna get a wall plug thingy for my car like you have on your side of the garage or am I going to have to draagggg that one over to my car?" After 35 years of marriage, I knew exactly what that ment (it ment I needed to get another wall connector for her side of the garage, lmao)

I wont have that model Y till end of march (current EDD anyway, I am familar with this dance you all are doing too).

Maybe I'm missing something, but the IRS Form 8911 has been renewed for 2022 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf). Instructions for fiscal year 2022 are here: Instructions for Form 8911 (01/2022) | Internal Revenue Service

What makes you think the 30% tax credit might be gone?
If you scroll down on the page you’ll see this - “The alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit expired for refueling property placed in service after 2021. Do not report refueling property placed in service after 2021 on Form 8911 unless the credit is extended.”

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson

This is good. I need something to distract my mind while waiting the car. Just saw my power provider has discount on different chargers. I still think Tesla’s the most handsome one 🤩but never say never on which one the get.

Glad to see it worked out. I wonder how much you ended up paying for the ChargePoint.

I found myself being offered the same by NV Energy, but it would've been $250 off certain ChargePoint models that were retailing for $800 and shared my consumption data with them, so it didn't make sense to apply for that rebate in my case. Went with the Tesla Wall Charger.

My husband and I had this discussion last night! He said what you said, but I googled and found information that said (perhaps incorrectly!!) that each adapter tells the car the max amps to charge at. So we thought if I bought the 14-50 and used the 30amp dryer outlet, it would just trip the circuit because it would tell the car to charge at 32amps on a 30 amp circuit? So I bought the 14-30 instead. I figured if we wanted to upgrade, I'd prefer to get the wall connector for aesthetics anyway. But now sounds like I'd have been fine with the 14-50, and the car would have drawn whateer the 30 amp circuit allows? Honestly, this stuff is confusing for me. I just want it to look nice, and work. 😂

If you scroll down on the page you’ll see this - “The alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit expired for refueling property placed in service after 2021. Do not report refueling property placed in service after 2021 on Form 8911 unless the credit is extended.”
I read that too. Very disappointed on how I missed the date and not getting it for my Xmas present.