Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to choose between a 14-50 and a wall charger... you can do both in one device. I myself purchased and mounted a 3rd party wall charger which is plugged into a 14-50 outlet. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of that approach vs. the Tesla wall charger.

Advantages of 14-50 plus 3rd party wall charger over Tesla Wall Connector:
  • Cheaper-- I had two (2) 14-50 outlets installed and bought my 3rd party wall charger that plugs into one of them all for less money than a Tesla wall charger plus installation. I chose not to just use the cable that comes with the car plugged into my 14-50 but if I had I would have saved even more money.
  • More flexible-- I usually own more than one brand of EV at a time so doing it this way allows me to charge any brand EV with the same setup. I can also charge friends' and neighbors' EVs or plug-in hybrids regardless of the type. Since they're standard 14-50 outlets I can plug in other heavy machinery when I occasionally have a project that requires it. Finally, even though I only have one wall charger set up since I have two 14-50 outlets I can charge two EVs at once should I need to by plugging my Tesla in using the cable that comes with the car.
  • More features-- The wall connector I have now connects to WiFi and has an app with fancy energy and charge tracking features and allows me to charge my car only when my electrical utility's rates are the lowest.
  • Upgradability-- This for me was important. Much like EVs, the tech in chargers is constantly evolving and new convenience features added. I like the ability to switch out my charger simply by unplugging the old one and plugging in a new one and not needing to do work on the house wiring or hire an electrician. I actually just did this last month and the whole process of switching chargers took about 5 minutes by myself (and that includes wall mounting).
Disadvantages:
  • Slightly slower charging-- Because my 3rd party wall charger is plugged into a 14-50 outlet it can charge at a maximum of 40 amps sustained. The Tesla Wall Connector can charge at 48 amps. However, the 3rd party party wall charger I have (made by Emporia Energy) can actually be hardwired too so it could also do 48 amps if I wanted but to me slightly faster charging wouldn't be worth the trade-off of being much harder to upgrade or replace.
  • Need to use J1772 adapter that comes with the Model 3-- This could sound like more of an inconvenience than it actually is. But the adapter fits right on the end of the charger's plug and stays there (until I need to charge a non-Tesla). It stays put and doesn't fall off so basically you can just forget it's there. But as @jjrandorin mentioned it's a good idea to keep a J1772 adapter in your car just in case so I just bought a spare adapter from Tesla for $50 so I could keep one in the car and the other on the charging cable without having to keep track of where just one adapter is.
Same as wall connector:
  • Looks nicer-- Better looking than just using the cable that comes with the car.
  • Built in cable management-- Comes with hook to keep the charge cable neatly coiled.
  • Allows you to keep the charger than comes with the car in the car.
Thanks for this helpful write up! Just helped me make my decision on which type of charger to install.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Woke up to a VIN this morning (162xxx). Not sure if previously rejected or any other information. Last night, had to get the Subaru towed after a fuel pump recall that was replaced over the weekend failed (due to suspected faulty install/hose connection?). Was a pleasant surprise this morning after last night. OD 11/15. Previous VIN and Hold 12/15. Off hold 12/21. EDD also went from 2/7-2/21 to 2/4-2/10. MSM, aero, black interior, no FSD.

Woke up to a VIN this morning (162xxx). Not sure if previously rejected or any other information. Last night, had to get the Subaru towed after a fuel pump recall that was replaced over the weekend failed (due to suspected faulty install/hose connection?). Was a pleasant surprise this morning after last night. OD 11/15. Previous VIN and Hold 12/15. Off hold 12/21. EDD also went from 2/7-2/21 to 2/4-2/10. MSM, aero, black interior, no FSD.
Same config here - OD went down to a 2 week period for mid-Feb this morning --- Feeling confident about the Ryzen chip now

Here's mine.

PXL_20220125_131433430.jpg

Good to see people posting their cars. Sunday I will have mine and post as well. We will be gone from this M3 thread lol but will be on another M3 thread on this site chatting about Tesla stuff. Did you get the AMD? My 2021 Model Y is blue I love the color. It actually was built 2 days before they started giving 2022 VINS lol and now I get a VIN for M3 that is days before all M3's get AMD my luck lol.

I heard there will be an announcement tomorrow about the AMD chip

Reactions: Crany
Good to see people posting their cars. Sunday I will have mine and post as well. We will be gone from this M3 thread lol but will be on another M3 thread on this site chatting about Tesla stuff. Did you get the AMD? My 2021 Model Y is blue I love the color. It actually was built 2 days before they started giving 2022 VINS lol and now I get a VIN for M3 that is days before all M3's get AMD my luck lol.

I heard there will be an announcement tomorrow about the AMD chip
I got the Intel. Apart from slow loading Netflix screen, I didn't notice any lag. Netflix plays smoothly. Maps are smooth.
Yeah, I like the blue color too.

Looks great, congrats! How was your pick-up experience?
Pickup experience was great. The SA at Dedham, MA was super helpful and patient. Thanks Reggie!

I got the Intel. Apart from slow loading Netflix screen, I didn't notice any lag. Netflix plays smoothly. Maps are smooth.
Yeah, I like the blue color too.

Pickup experience was great. The SA at Dedham, MA was super helpful and patient. Thanks Reggie!
Yeah there is not lag on my MY I guess those videos on YouTube has everyone thinking there is some lag. Like you said Netflix loads a little slow but that is something that can be fixed with software update. But the map is 100% fine. Trust me you made a good decision taking delivery now. It's a car not a phone you're not on Netflix or games 24/7

M3LR White/White 18" Aero, no-fsd (SF Bay Area)

OD: Nov 2 2021
EDD 1: December 2021
EDD 2: 12/3-12/31
EDD 3: 12/14-12/28
VIN 1 on 12/13
Placed on hold for 30 days until 1/12.
EDD 4 on 1/13: 3/3-3/31
VIN 2 on 1/13 ~11am.
Hold placed until 1/17 due to inability to pick up the vehicle on 1/15 or 1/16 (only times offered)
EDD 5 on 1/18: 3/14-3/31
EDD 6 on 1/25: 1/27-2/5

Turns out for the week or so following the hold lifting on 1/17 I didn't complete my profile! Switched from "cash" to finance, selected Tesla financing at first to get a rate but there was no way to back out and select 3rd party financing. Yesterday I got a rep to walk my profile back and completed filling out the finance section. So clearly there is some sort of holding pattern for people with their profile not complete. I've seen people say they never finished it and still got a VIN, so it's likely I would have as well, but looks like it'll be quicker than end of March!

Just realized he said romex but he can still use a 60amp breaker 240.4 allows you to go up a breaker size when its the only thing on the circuit and at full load still won't be over current, which it won't at full load the tesla charger only pulls 48amps and following the 60°C chart at 55amps hes still good
Thank you for the comment. That’s what I thought and my friend electrician said the same but I am going to check with a electrical contractor company and see what they will do.

M3LR White/Black 19”

OD: 12/3
Initial EDD: Mid Feb. to mid March
VIN Received: 12/11 and placed on hold
Hold released: 12/30
EDD: 3/2-3/30

I received my initial VIN a lot sooner than expected and I’m assuming it had been rejected by others and pushed to me during quarter end deliveries. My EDD hasn’t moved since I released my hold in December.

My current setup is a Wall Connector plugged into a 14-50 outlet with a 60amp circuit, and I'm getting 45-50 mph charging speed allowing 48 amp charging.
When I plug in a Mobile Connector into the same 14-50 outlet, it only allows 32 amps charging, and it's reduced to approx 30-35 mph charging speed.

Isn't it against code to have a 14-50 on a 60 amp breaker? Is your 14-50R designed to handle 48 amps continuous?