Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this frantic activity of cars getting shuffled around because people are rejecting VINs (which I don't have any problem with) is a good argument for Tesla adopting more conventional model years. For example, if you order a 2022 you would automatically get AMD, Li ion LV battery and heated wipers. You would also get the $2k in price hikes Tesla gave us. If you order 2021 you wouldn't get any of those things but you'd get all the features introduced in 2021 plus of course the lower price. If you order 2023 you get dual-pane rear glass, hairpin motor windings, and new HV battery and whatever price Tesla wants to charge.

There would be no need for rejecting cars and freaking out because everyone would be on the same page and know exactly what they're getting and getting exactly what they paid for. If you ordered a 2021 toward the end of year and then later decide you want a 2022 you can do that... but you'd have to cancel your 2021 order (possibly forfeiting your $250) and place a new 2022 order for the higher price and start at the back of the line. IMO that's the "best" and most fair way to do it. They way things are now someone can pay less than you and get a better car with newer components!

Understand why a lot of folks would feel this way. But there's also an awful lot to be said for the rolling improvements that Tesla periodically introduces.

If Tesla ran conventional "model years" like the legacy automakers, we wouldn't be seeing things like the Ryzen chip or the lithium battery until this fall.

I vote for continual improvement.

So I posted yesterday that I got my vin. Did the loan thru Tesla and all the insurance and schedule of delivery today. I scheduled for Monday 1/31/22. I just got a call a few minutes ago saying my car is ready and if I could pick up tomorrow at 11am instead. So tomorrow I'll be picking up my M3LR MSM with black interior in Burbank. I'm ready!

Serendipity! Congrats!!!

Reactions: In_the_process
All this frantic activity of cars getting shuffled around because people are rejecting VINs (which I don't have any problem with) is a good argument for Tesla adopting more conventional model years. For example, if you order a 2022 you would automatically get AMD, Li ion LV battery and heated wipers. You would also get the $2k in price hikes Tesla gave us. If you order 2021 you wouldn't get any of those things but you'd get all the features introduced in 2021 plus of course the lower price. If you order 2023 you get dual-pane rear glass, hairpin motor windings, and new HV battery and whatever price Tesla wants to charge.

There would be no need for rejecting cars and freaking out because everyone would be on the same page and know exactly what they're getting and getting exactly what they paid for. If you ordered a 2021 toward the end of year and then later decide you want a 2022 you can do that... but you'd have to cancel your 2021 order (possibly forfeiting your $250) and place a new 2022 order for the higher price and start at the back of the line. IMO that's the "best" and most fair way to do it. They way things are now someone can pay less than you and get a better car with newer components!
Even if they didn’t want to limit themselves to more year cutoffs, updates rolling in at a specific build date what go a long way. Even legacy manufacturers occasionally introduce updates in the middle of a model year, but usually it’s not crazy difficult to figure out which cars would get the changes.

Even if they didn’t want to limit themselves to more year cutoffs, updates rolling in at a specific build date what go a long way. Even legacy manufacturers occasionally introduce updates in the middle of a model year, but usually it’s not crazy difficult to figure out which cars would get the changes.
Yeah, I had purchased a VW mid model year and it had a major engine upgrade right after my purchase. I did not know that at the time and got the old engine.

Got my VIN this afternoon. 165xxx. Portland, OR Delivery Feb 1-5.
MSM LR Black, 18” No FSD.
Same car and pickup location for me. 11/26 order. EDD is now 2/1-2/15. You should see if they will let you in the car before accepting and report back 😁

Looks like I ordered a day before you. Now this delivery system is getting really confusing.

Reactions: Doggerton
Same car and pickup location for me. 11/26 order. EDD is now 2/1-2/15. You should see if they will let you in the car before accepting and report back 😁

Looks like I ordered a day before you. Now this delivery system is getting really confusing.
Yes we have same configuration and my OD was one day later than yours. Confirmed with SA that my 165xxx VIN has Ryzen and 12v Li-ion battery. Hopefully your M3 will be in Portland soon as well.

Reactions: Paul4343
Finally got vin 164xxx !!!
OD: 10/30, white/black/on fsd, south CA
EDD changed from 1/29-2/9 to 1/31 -2/9
waiting for the delivery call..
How to check on the Ryzen and battery staff?
I texted my SA at number I received from Tesla shortly after I placed my order back in Nov. Basically responded to text I received today with my VIN. Asked to confirm Ryzen and 12v battery which they were able to.

I am a 153 VIN holder. I will be releasing my car. I just need to get a lower rate loan. I don't want to release today because I will probably just get a low VIN. Might as well see if I can get a higher VIN while waiting for my better rate. If it weren't for this better rate I would have kept the car. can't beat a lower monthly payment.

How many East Coast deliveries have the high VIN's? I am in NJ. I am not sure I have seen any.
I just got a 167xxx vin for mid Feb delivery at Mt Kisco