Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the AMD and the lithium battery worth the wait? I also chose cash as payment option but would like to do financing instead. Would that delay the order and maybe I'll get assigned a new vin?

Whats "worth it" or not depends on the individual. I am going to re direct you to the following thread to ask that question or read up on peoples opinions on that:

The reason I am doing that is, there are two camps on this, and it turns into a lot of "back and forth".

Changing your payment from cash to financing would not automatically make you get a new vin, unless you release that one for some reason by telling them you dont want it.

Whats "worth it" or not depends on the individual. I am going to re direct you to the following thread to ask that question or read up on peoples opinions on that:

The reason I am doing that is, there are two camps on this, and it turns into a lot of "back and forth".

Changing your payment from cash to financing would not automatically make you get a new vin, unless you release that one for some reason by telling them you dont want it.
Thanks for the insight!

Bring a flashlight. It'll help with your inspection. The cars are parked in the basement of the Burbank Mall parking structure.
That’s whack lol. Did you notice any issues with yours? I’m waiting on DCU to mail out the check, said they would Friday but with the New England storms they didn’t work today! Hope they’ll mail it out Monday overnight so it gets to Tesla by my 2/2 pickup!

Reactions: In_the_process
OD: 11/3
First EDD: End of December 2021
Delivery #1: 12/6 emailed to schedule 12/14 to 12/17 delivery.
Put on hold due to being out of town for holidays.
12/30 took off hold
EDD: 1/13 - 2/10
EDD: 1/19 - 2/2
EDD: 1/30 - 2/27
EDD: 1/31 - 2/14
1/18: VIN assigned
EDD: 1/31-2/4
Delivery Scheduled(Home Delivery): 1/31
Text from Tesla 1/28 saying it arrived early asking me to pick it up in person 1/29.
1/29: showed up on time. All steps including ACH payment completed. The first car they tried to deliver to me was the wrong VIN. Had to sit in a chair for an hour while they found the right car and partially charged it.

Confirmed: Ryzen (161xxxx)

White/Black seats/Aero wheels. No FSD. East coast.

Car is awesome. No gaps or anything. Delivery experience could have been better.

I have used lithium iron (LiFeP04) batteries in a handful of applications. One caveat: if allowed to completely discharge they can be ruined. While it’s also not great to completely discharge a lead/acid or AGM battery, they do usually bounce back reasonably well after a full discharge.

Is there anything special about these new Tesla 12v batteries to protect against that? I don’t know the scenarios that might lead to a completely dead battery, but I assume it can happen. And replacement lithium iron batteries ain’t cheap.

I have used lithium iron (LiFeP04) batteries in a handful of applications. One caveat: if allowed to completely discharge they can be ruined. While it’s also not great to completely discharge a lead/acid or AGM battery, they do usually bounce back reasonably well after a full discharge.

Is there anything special about these new Tesla 12v batteries to protect against that? I don’t know the scenarios that might lead to a completely dead battery, but I assume it can happen. And replacement lithium iron batteries ain’t cheap.
From my limited understanding, I think the LiFe batteries are used for the main drive (high voltage) and the 12V battery is either AGM or lithium ion. As of now, only standard model 3 gets the LiFe.

The 12V lithium battery used by Tesla is Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion), not Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP)

Reactions: Paul4343
M3LR -White/Black/18" No FSD
OD : 10/22/21
Placed on hold until 12/28/21
Tesla automatically removed hold on 12/25/21
12/29/21: EDD - Feb 22 - March 22.
12/31/21: EDD - Jan 11 - Jan 25
1/11/22: EDD - Jan 25 - Feb 07
1/16/22: Received Vin- 155###. EDD - TBD.
1/18/22: Placed on hold until 1/22/22 (90 day hold limit from order date)
1/19/22: hold automatically removed, vin removed, EDD - TBD
1/23/22: EDD - April 03 - May 01
1/24/22: Scheduled delivery Jan 29th, Vin - 152###
1/25/22: Back on hold 'til Jan 29th. Vin released
1/26/22: EDD - Jan 27 - Jan 28 - No VIN
1/29/22: EDD - TBD
1/30/22: EDD - April 13 - May 11

My guess is that I'll be assigned a vin in a day or two, AND I must take delivery this time or the order gets cancelled. Hoping for Ryzen and Li-ion, but if it's Intel and regular 12V battery, I'll still take it.

Reactions: Blackfish
Is there anything special about these new Tesla 12v batteries to protect against that?
Yes, probably a number of things protect against that. First, software, second, the 12V is fed from a DC/DC converter, third, the battery itself likely has a BMS that will disconnect it if the charge gets too low, which would only happen if the DC/DC failed.
From my limited understanding, I think the LiFe batteries are used for the main drive (high voltage) and the 12V battery is either AGM or lithium ion. As of now, only standard model 3 gets the LiFe.
The 12V lithium battery is NMC not LiFe.