Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1643826092568.png

Such a joy to pick up my car yesterday evening! Had a BLAST driving home from the Tesla store. :) 110% worth the wait. My 1659XX VIN car did come with Ryzen but I have no clue how to check the rest of the newer things. I have a dentist appointment this morning, and will be the HAPPIEST driver heading to a dental appointment ever. I also applied for 3 rebates immediately, since they take 45-90 days to process. Definitely google, as I found some local ones I'd never heard of, and am eligible for 3 rebates here in CA (Monterey Bay area) totaling $5500, plus $400 for the wall charger and free installation (up to 2k back on the install). Hang in there lovelies! You've got this, and it's SOOOOO worth it!!! 😄
Congrats, Doggerton!

did you see the announcement that "full self driving" is being recalled?!

Its not, though. What is being recalled is one specific feature that allowed the system to do a "california stop" rolling through a stop sign. There is a lot of discussion about that in the autopilot subforum. I would caution you, as a "soon to be new tesla owner" that you will absolutely, positively 100% need to read "more than the headlines" if you ever look for news on tesla.

Otherwise, you will end up with something like this, with a headline saying "RECALL ON TESLA FULL SELF DRIVING!" and then in regular print "tesla recalling full self driving option that enables rolling through stop sign".

Agreed but what I found interesting is the number of vehicles affected. Any way to estimate how many total teslas may be on the road to determine % of cars sold with FSD. I’m guessing it is a low percentage.

I think that's not the number of cars with FSD. That's the number of cars with FSD and were enrolled in the FSD beta. I think most cars with FSD aren't in the beta. My own first Model 3 had FSD but I was not in the beta.

Here I am again, back in the waiting room after my 2021 M3LR got t-boned just before Thanksgiving (no injuries). Took the body shop (one of only two Tesla-certified shops in my area) forever to get to it, then they quoted over $30K in damages. Insurance company finally totaled it so now I'm back, awaiting a VIN... again... so soon...

Ordered 1/13 (blue, no premium wheels, black interior) in central Ohio area, estimate has held steady at 2/24-3/24. Same SA texted after my order: "Another one?!" Dude... it's not what you think...
Ugh, sorry to hear that, the wait is brutal and now you have to go through it all over again. Happy everyone is OK though, good luck in a speedy delivery.

Isn't there a carwash mode you can select on the Tesla? What does that actually do if you click it?
Problem with the Tesla's and carwashes is that if you put it in neutral, get out of the car, let it roll through the car wash, it will go in to park half way through the wash cycle.

At my local carwash they send cars through without a driver EXCEPT for Teslas. The attendant sits in the car as it rolls through the rails so it doesn't revert to "Park"

With a new software update they added carwash mode. This will not only keep the car in neutral but also some other things such as making sure the battery door stays closed when it gets hit with something.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
I think that's not the number of cars with FSD. That's the number of cars with FSD and were enrolled in the FSD beta. I think most cars with FSD aren't in the beta. My own first Model 3 had FSD but I was not in the beta.

I think some people make the (in my opinion, false) assumption that "everyone who purchased FSD is of course applying for the beta". I have FSD in my current model 3, and its "beta enough" for me as it is. I have no desire to be in the "beta beta" that is the "FSD beta".

You are correct though, only "FSD beta" cars would have had access to this option in the first place, and a "recall" on this is applying an OTA update, so other than a talking point as to why in the world tesla would enable this type of feature in the first place (even if it comes closer to what human drivers would do), this really is not much more than media fodder.

Agreed but what I found interesting is the number of vehicles affected. Any way to estimate how many total teslas may be on the road to determine % of cars sold with FSD. I’m guessing it is a low percentage.
I would venture a guess that the take rate was much higher with older owners that got the FSD for 2k or 6k or whatever somewhat reasonable offer was presented at the time. The take rate has to be much lower now...........who's paying 10-12k for that? Certainly not me.

did you see the announcement that "full self driving" is being recalled?!
This is the 2nd "recall" for FSD. I'm on the beta and this one is very minor and is already fixed with the new software rolling out. The last one was a bigger deal and they had to revert the software ASAP. It really only made cars "manual" driving cars for a couple hours until everyone was reverted to the old version. Literally a couple hours for the fix to come out. Imagine how long it took to get airbags replaced with the Takata disaster. That was years!

The news media is making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. Rolling a stop sign at 2mph with nobody around is much more conservative than I drive.

One of the admins is asking in my suggestion thread about adding a "I sympathize / I'm sorry / that sucks" type reaction if other people feel it would be useful! So if anyone else here thinks that would be nice please tell them so in the thread:

I would venture a guess that the take rate was much higher with older owners that got the FSD for 2k or 6k or whatever somewhat reasonable offer was presented at the time. The take rate has to be much lower now...........who's paying 10-12k for that? Certainly not me.

FSD has never been cheaper than 7k total. You will see some people say "I paid 2k for FSD" but that required a purchase of "enhanced autopilot" for 5k, so the total buy in was 7k. It was only that for like 3 weeks, as well. The normal price people paid for FSD was 8k (5k enhanced autopilot + 3k for the FSD option that did not include a single feature that was not present in enhanced autopilot).

You will see people say 2-3k vs 12k and thats not accurate. Its 8k (or during a 3 week timeframe 7k) vs 12k.

• Informative
Reactions: Acturbo
Actually it was $5k for both EAP and FSD together at one brief point in 2019.

hmm.. I remember the period when tesla changed "enhanced autopilot" to "autopilot", raised car prices 2k, then included autopilot with all new teslas (late march / early april 2019). I purchased EAP with my model 3, because FSD didnt offer anything additional, but when the price to add it dropped from 3k to 2k additional, I jumped on it just because it would include the (new at the time) computer that is now called "FSD computer")

I dont remember tesla offering eap + FSD for 5k total, but my memory isnt infallible either.