Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not seeing anyone getting a VIN for the Tesla Model 3 LR in the Bay Area? I placed an order for Tesla Model 3 LR in December 20th 2021 and the ED shows 02/09 -> 02/23. I've seen people who ordered later with a later EDD get their vins yesterday and today. Has anyone in the Bay Area gotten their vins with a similar EDD? I think they might give our VINs later into the window since people across the country have to wait a few days to a week to get their cars delivered after getting their VIN, but Bay Area folks can just pick it up at Fremont.

I'm in the East Bay. Just got my VIN yesterday. OD was 10/31 though, so not sure if that helped us get a VIN before quarter end. Our VIN is 172XXX, so I don't think it's a reject either.

I like to keep all my insurance together (home, auto, umbrella) and had AAA for several years, with multiple BMWs with competitive rates. When I got my model 3 in 2018, AAA was like 25% higher than everyone else. I even called them and walked through it with them, because I liked AAA for insurance, and at the end, they were not even close to competitive, even when I told them I was going to transfer the rest of my insurance wherever my car ended up.

AAA is several companies, and I am in CA so this "may" not apply to you, but they absolutely did not want to insure teslas back then, and other people reported similar. It was not my driving record (no points, no claims, no tickets, etc etc). I pay insurance yearly, and they were 25% more for the year, which was a significant amount of money, especially since the car that was being removed from the policy was a leased BMW 435, that was fully loaded.

I only mention that because it wasnt a " oh that car is more expensive" thing, as the cost of the cars themselves were not that different.
ugh..now i'm nervous about insurance.

ugh..now i'm nervous about insurance.

if you have AAA currently, I would recommend either calling your rep (if you have one you deal with), or calling into their help line for insurance to get a quote. What I ended up doing back then (because I was under a time crunch and didnt want to "deal with it" during the scramble to get the car), was just add the car to my existing AAA policy (with the upcharge), then take delivery, and "later) (like a couple weeks later) sit down and do "insurance shopping".

Thats a pain in the butt, especially if you have a home and like to have everything together for bundle discounts, etc. The good news is, in CA, you can simply upload a copy of your current insurance card to take delivery, as we are covered for "some amount of days" on a new car, even if we have not added it directly to the policy. Usually between 2 to 10, depending on insurance company, but you do have a day or two after you take delivery to deal with it if you want to.

You can not be double insured for auto insurance, so even if you change companies, plan A stops at midnight on XX/XX/XXXX and plan B starts at 12:01am on XX/XX/XXXX.

Here in Cali I got quoted a premium of aprox 2k/year to add to my policy with Mercury,
4 drivers, clean records, no tix or accidents,
2 of the drivers are teenage drivers. no tix or accidents,
Multi car discount, multi policy discount

I think it helps that I have cheaper liability only cars assigned to them to reduce the risk factor.

I'll for sure post an update with what the car has when I take delivery!

Also in case any of this might make a difference in how I got a vin so fast I forgot to mention the following:
- No FSD
- I placed my order in a store with a SA
- The same day I ordered I logged into my account and selected Tesla financing, but I still have not completed the credit application

Yeah, no FSD, in store and cash for my primary order placed Dec 10.

You're not a celebrity, influencer, blogger or reviewer are you? ;) It would be just like Tesla to give someone influential faster service and a better built car than the rest of us get!

if you have AAA currently, I would recommend either calling your rep (if you have one you deal with), or calling into their help line for insurance to get a quote. What I ended up doing back then (because I was under a time crunch and didnt want to "deal with it" during the scramble to get the car), was just add the car to my existing AAA policy (with the upcharge), then take delivery, and "later) (like a couple weeks later) sit down and do "insurance shopping".

Thats a pain in the butt, especially if you have a home and like to have everything together for bundle discounts, etc. The good news is, in CA, you can simply upload a copy of your current insurance card to take delivery, as we are covered for "some amount of days" on a new car, even if we have not added it directly to the policy. Usually between 2 to 10, depending on insurance company, but you do have a day or two after you take delivery to deal with it if you want to.

You can not be double insured for auto insurance, so even if you change companies, plan A stops at midnight on XX/XX/XXXX and plan B starts at 12:01am on XX/XX/XXXX.
yup...have all policies with AAA

Tesla delivery is kind of a circus. Delivery supposed to be 2/9, Wednesday. Today is 2/8. Was told I wasn't allowed to pick it up. They texted me and called me this morning to verify I was ready for home delivery tomorrow.

2 hours later they call me and say they can't deliver even though the car is here because they can't get it ready on time. They offer me a spot on Thursday and then say oops, they have no delivery spots. They ask if I want Friday delivery and then say I can take the car Thursday if I want to come pick it up. They already said I wasn't allowed to pick it up.

They can't make their mind up what they want to do.

Not overly maddening just a little irritating.

WOW...so local service center may have more info than SA?
I have EDD of 3/3 to 3/31 per app. i called an SA and they do have more information about a scheduled build and delivery. They told me my specific build date ( 2/15 to 2/22) and delivery timeframe first week of March . Will see what the actual will be but hoping they are accurate.

I have EDD of 3/3 to 3/31 per app. i called an SA and they do have more information about a scheduled build and delivery. They told me my specific build date ( 2/15 to 2/22) and delivery timeframe first week of March . Will see what the actual will be but hoping they are accurate.
Let me rephrase. I talked to a sales guy at Tesla store -- he looked up my order number and had more schedule details on my account.

Reactions: disneygirl420
Just called my local Service Center (Charlotte, NC) since I still had no word or anything from an advisor and she told me that my car is scheduled to arrive on 3/7 with delivery on 3/9 but potentially sooner. Should be getting a VIN # in the next week.
Taking with a grain of salt based on other's comments about SA guidance but seems to line up with my expectation of late Feb/early March based on my EDD.
how? I called tesla yesterday with this information and they laughed. They like we have no information.... Sorry this is the third post i saw and I called tesla previously to inquire on this information. I need to understand when my car would come because I want to book a trip back to Chicago and they said tough luck.

Just got a text from my SA. "...Future owners typically schedule a solar consultation to explore energy savings for their home and new car. What's the best time to set this up". Is this standard? Is it just a solar sales pitch? If so I'm going to politely decline but wasn't sure if this was a standard pre-delivery call that I should actually take.

how? I called tesla yesterday with this information and they laughed. They like we have no information.... Sorry this is the third post i saw and I called tesla previously to inquire on this information. I need to understand when my car would come because I want to book a trip back to Chicago and they said tough luck.
Yeah I think I must have gotten lucky because my friend who is waiting on a MYP (OD mid Dec) and lives down the street from me called after I told him my experience and they said all they knew was the EDD on the account. Same place just a few mins later. Crazy. All I asked was who my advisor was, I never even asked about dates...

Just got a text from my SA. "...Future owners typically schedule a solar consultation to explore energy savings for their home and new car. What's the best time to set this up". Is this standard? Is it just a solar sales pitch? If so I'm going to politely decline but wasn't sure if this was a standard pre-delivery call that I should actually take.

That sounds like a sales pitch to me. I mean, I have solar (and powerwalls) but I dont do anything (ever) from solicitation. If it were me, I would politely decline and say "thank you for the offer, but I will reach out myself when I am ready to think about that".