Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously! I'm also in the "just got pushed back" group as of this morning. I'd gone into my account I think yesterday on my desktop and all looked fine, but when I went in this morning via the app to the mobile site, suddenly there was a note about my trade-in offer recently having expired (which I knew was the case, was surprised hadn't yet been flagged to me and the desktop site didn't mention the expiration or give me a way to add the updated mileage). Now I'm wondering if my push-back was somehow tied to that.. we'll see if my EDD window moves up in time once the new trade-in offer comes in.

For an update here: As I mentioned on a post before the quoted one above, my EDD jumped out a month yesterday morning from 2/9-2/22 to 3/11-3/31. I received the updated trade-in offer yesterday afternoon and then woke up today to a more enjoyable (and shortest yet) EDD window of 2/14-2/24. I have to imagine this was all tied to the trade-in offer having expired, so I'm just glad I noticed that as Tesla certainly hadn't notified me anything was awry. The roller coaster continues!

Saw this explanation for a skewed order-to-delivery life cycle. Pasting as is:

• Quarterly manufacturing cycle
    Tesla attempt to sell all inventory every quarter and have as few cars in transit as possible. Given the geographical spread of the factories, this typically means cars destined for European/remote regions are built in the first part of a quarter and shipped to the destination and delivered to customers in the last 5 weeks of the quarter. Nearer markets to the factories have inventory built after this inventory and are shipped and delivered within a few weeks, also in the last 5 weeks of the quarter. As a result, the majority of Tesla inventory is delivered in the last 5-6 weeks of any quarter irrespective of when it was ordered.

OD: Dec 9
Dec 9 - EDD: Jan 23-Feb 20
Dec 12 - EDD: Jan 16-Feb 13
Jan 17 - EDD: Jan 31-Feb 28
Jan 21 - EDD: Jan 28-Feb 11
Jan 27 - EDD: Feb 3-Mar 3
Jan 29 - EDD: Feb 5-Feb 19
Feb 6 - EDD: Feb 10-Feb 24

8th EDD this morning 🥲, but seems to have shortened from a 14 day window to 12 days now.

Feb 11 - EDD: Feb 14-Feb 26

I texted Tesla yesterday with a few questions. I got my answer this morning.
“Hello, we took a look and it does look like your vehicle has the Ryzen Chip, the lv lithium Ion battery, and the dual pane rear windows. We aren't able to check on your heated wiper until the vehicle actually arrives on site.”
My vin 171xxx
Happy dance here😎

I got pretty much the same answers. I added one more thing for them to do...I literally just asked for a delivery date now (through text). So no more EDD showing on my app they just set me for the 26th as requested. Which obviously can change if the car literally doesn't show up, but it's nice to have a defined date now instead of waiting to select one later. Love getting lucky and getting a Saturday lol.

Saw this explanation for a skewed order-to-delivery life cycle. Pasting as is:

• Quarterly manufacturing cycle
    Tesla attempt to sell all inventory every quarter and have as few cars in transit as possible. Given the geographical spread of the factories, this typically means cars destined for European/remote regions are built in the first part of a quarter and shipped to the destination and delivered to customers in the last 5 weeks of the quarter. Nearer markets to the factories have inventory built after this inventory and are shipped and delivered within a few weeks, also in the last 5 weeks of the quarter. As a result, the majority of Tesla inventory is delivered in the last 5-6 weeks of any quarter irrespective of when it was ordered.

Yes, thats how we understand it to have been as late as the end of last year. Elon Musk also announced to Tesla would try to smooth out deliveries, vs doing what is described in your post. We have no idea where they are in that "smoothing out" process, but since there are people taking deliveries in North American here at the beginning of Feb (instead of the Beginning of March like they would have been), it seems to me that tesla has already somewhat started that process, at least in some form.

Yes, thats how we understand it to have been as late as the end of last year. Elon Musk also announced to Tesla would try to smooth out deliveries, vs doing what is described in your post. We have no idea where they are in that "smoothing out" process, but since there are people taking deliveries in North American here at the beginning of Feb (instead of the Beginning of March like they would have been), it seems to me that tesla has already somewhat started that process, at least in some form.
They have improved their supply-chain management ( including AI ) to "test" the market and "anticipate" orders better. I learnt this from a friend who works for Tesla ( doesnt work 'at' the factory ). It should improve over time.

Reactions: cmy4x4
BS, because I am waiting for my Tesla from end of October 2021.
It's all relative unfortunately. Our model S ordered back in May 2021 will finally be delivered next week. Our M3 ordered in Jan probably will come next month. All the waiting is a pain and the constantly moving EDDs don't help. I gave up tracking all the shifts in dates I went through on the S. On the 3 I just check once a week now.

BS, because I am waiting for my Tesla from end of October 2021.
  • Lead times
    Lead times depend on the availability of inventory rather than when the next available build slot it. If you order in a quarter where there is no matching inventory, your lead time will be to the end of the next quarter at best. Within in a quarter, almost irrespective of when you order, the delivery will be near the end if a match is successful or you order from inventory. And if you order an inventory car, even as late as the last week of the quarter, delivery can happen within days. Based on our own referrals from inventory orders, many cars are ordered and delivered within days in the second half of the quarter.
^ Might be an explanation.

Update!
Just got the text from Tesla about a trade in. I do not have a trade in. Does this mean I’m getting closer to a VIN #? My order date was 11/5 and the app is saying 2/19-3/19 still!
IIRC I got a trade-in text at the same day I got the "welcome to the Tesla family" text.

I got another flurry of emails this morning - seems like the other teams at Tesla (Finance, Trade-in, etc.) start at 9AM PST.
After the Tesla Finance team let the bank know about my pending trade-in I got approved this morning.
3.65% 96 months RBC.

My SA has been keeping tabs on me and also emailed me this morning to confirm the status of my account.
She also specifically requested that I hold off on planning anything around the delivery date I selected, including insurance, as it seems the border protests are causing delivery delays, which means Tesla's own arrival inspection of the vehicle will be pushed back.

I know others are waiting for their Teslas to come in, so here's my list of things I've put on the Altar of Elon so far:

BASENOR Mud Flaps Splash Guards
SUMK Model 3/Y Tempered Glass Screen Protector
3D MAXpider All-Weather Floor Mats
AbstractOcean Center Console Vinyl Wrap for Model 3/Y (2nd Gen Console)
BougeRV Car Cover for Tesla Model 3
mp3 sound box (Waifu Prison)
(2x) 12" by 3" anime/weeb decals
Winner Outfitters Dog Car Seat Cover (just ordered this morning)

Tesla Wall Connector isn't my radar for +6 months at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Misslove_143