Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Graduated today, to be honest, it was a very quick and straightforward process from start to finish, didn't have any major delays or setbacks besides one on delivery day.
Config: White Exterior / White Interior / 19" Sport Wheels / No FSD
OD: 2/2
EDD1: March 2022
EDD2: March 14 - March 31
EDD3: April 20 - May 18
EDD4: March 24 - March 31
EDD5: April 8 - May 10
EDD6: March 19 - March 25 (Cutting it close I was going to be out of town from March 24 - March 29
Delivery scheduled for March 22. No major issues I can see and there was only a minor frunk panel gap that the service center said was within spec. Overall super happy and excited to drive this thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you pick up at Cherry Hill? I have an order in for there. Just want to get a feel for deliveries there. How were the staff and the process?

OD 03/02; M3 LR; Blue Exterior; White Interior; Aero Wheels; from DE - delivered to Cherry Hill, NJ EDD: May 15 - June 12

Considering switching to white interior. I’ve had black for 3 years and just think I might want to mix it up. Does anyone know if switching your interior color could hurt your EDD?? My EDD is 1-2 months away still. I heard that supposedly I’m locked in at the price I paid a month ago so I supposedly don’t have to worry about the $3,500 of price increases since I ordered.

If you ordered prior to the $2k increase, I am 99% sure that you will not incur the increase for changing your current order color.

I ordered prior to the $2k increase as well. In the timespan between then and just a week ago, I've changed from M3 RWD black interior, to white interior, back to black interior, and then to LR. Some of these changes occurred AFTER the $2k increase was announced, but my price for the full "menu" of model 3 options when I want to change something is still showing prices as of when I initially ordered it.

Explanation to me by SA is that if there are additional features announced in conjunction with price increase, then changing options for your current order will trigger the price increase. If it is pure price increase by Tesla without any added feature, then you get to retain the menu prices as of your original order date. Since this $2k increase seems to be purely market price adjustments without any features added, I got to keep my prices as of end of Feb when I initially ordered.

There is also a way to verify whether you would incur price changes prior to confirming your change. If you haven't completed the financing details in your tasks, there is a link on the right hand side of your order page to "edit order". Clicking that will allow you re-order your Model 3 with the options that you want. There you will be shown the prices that apply to you. You will see what you will be charged. If you like what you see, at the bottom of the page there will a button to confirm your changes, if not, there is another button to discard your changes. This way you can be sure what you will be charged when you change your order.

If you already completed the financing task, just text the online SA to "re-open" the financing options, and you will see the edit order button.

Hope this helps
This is very helpful, thanks!

Man, looking at the spreadsheet, it's kinda crazy how there's a clear divide in regards to VIN assignments right at Feb 8. There's only like a handful of VINs that have been assigned (at least on the spreadsheet) since then. I also wonder if the data in the spreadsheet is an accurate sample of what's actually out there. I would think it's probably close. I'm dying to know how they pick and choose their VIN assignments. I'm sure once I actually get a VIN, I won't care anymore, but holy crap is this painful! LOL

I should add Original delivery date March pushed back to April - May window during Teslas 2 day shutdown in February then jumped back up to a 2 week window in march the first week of march then back to April 26- May 24
I’m right there with you man (1/14 ODD) almost exact same EDD moves. I’m sure there are many others same as us. Just gotta be patient and find other stuff to think about.

Considering switching to white interior. I’ve had black for 3 years and just think I might want to mix it up. Does anyone know if switching your interior color could hurt your EDD?? My EDD is 1-2 months away still. I heard that supposedly I’m locked in at the price I paid a month ago so I supposedly don’t have to worry about the $3,500 of price increases since I ordered.
Get what you really want!

If you look a few pages back, somebody changed their paint color twice and the first time the EDD went out and then came back in the second change.

Reactions: Ajlepore
Man, looking at the spreadsheet, it's kinda crazy how there's a clear divide in regards to VIN assignments right at Feb 8. There's only like a handful of VINs that have been assigned (at least on the spreadsheet) since then. I also wonder if the data in the spreadsheet is an accurate sample of what's actually out there. I would think it's probably close. I'm dying to know how they pick and choose their VIN assignments. I'm sure once I actually get a VIN, I won't care anymore, but holy crap is this painful! LOL
I think a number of factors play into how vehicles are assigned. Order date may be one of the least impactful. Location and number of orders to that location may be one of the bigger impacts. Then there is the FSD option which also plays a role.
If I were shipping cars, I'd make sure I had a train full of them going to that location, as that is the cheapest way to ship. You're also going to ship vehicles that are closest to the factory first, as they are cheaper and quicker to get off the production lot.
Another factor might be your paint color. I don't know if they build cars in groups based on paint color, or if they are able to paint any color at any time.
I think the last thing that plays a role is the time of year. Yes, we are at the end of a quarter so the push may be on to get out as many vehicles as possible for the shareholders. Then there might be a lull before they push production again. If there's any equipment that needs to be upgraded or repaired, etc. they would wait until after the quarter to they didn't lose any time.
All of this is speculation on my part.

20220323_110216.jpg

Reactions: Ajlepore
Does anyone know if switching your interior color could hurt your EDD??

This is non-authoritative and not based on any evidence, just theories.

It probably won't make a difference - I don't think each individual car is made-to-order, but rather, Tesla probably predicts demand for certain configuration sets, something like:

150x M3LR+white ext+white int+18" wheels
200x M3LR+white ext+black int+18" wheels
100x M3LR+black ext+white int+18" wheels
etc

Based on their historical demand for each configuration. The variability in demand for that batch may determine how likely your EDD is to stay fixed - if demand for a configuration drops and you switch to that, you may move ahead in the queue. If demand for a configuration jumps and you switch to that, you may be put further back in the queue. When your EDD is far out, it may not make much of a difference, i.e. you may go from place number 93 in one queue to place number 97 in another queue. But if you're approaching your EDD, you could go from place number 17 to place number 97, which would push your EDD back. Again, non-authoritative, I'm just thinking of how I would build a queue/matching system if it were my project.

For what it's worth, my original EDD was Mar, it got pushed back to Apr-May, I changed the color from white->MSM and the EDD stayed the same. I then changed from MSM->Red and got a VIN 8 days later with delivery available the next day. My theory is that the final configuration either had a drop in demand or they had a car that had been rejected/cancelled by someone else in the area and when I changed to that configuration, I got matched with it.

Did you pick up at Cherry Hill? I have an order in for there. Just want to get a feel for deliveries there. How were the staff and the process?

OD 03/02; M3 LR; Blue Exterior; White Interior; Aero Wheels; from DE - delivered to Cherry Hill, NJ EDD: May 15 - June 12
Yeah it as in Cherry Hill. The staff were really friendly and everything was straight forward. You will be fine :)

Reactions: davidmaciv
I picked up my car this morning. The process didn't go quite as smoothly as I would have hoped, but the Tesla folks were ever helpful and friendly. They're moving a LOT of cars. I was surprised at how low-key the environment was. I felt like I was at a Jiffy Lube.

Twists and turns:

1. I wanted to transfer my plates from my current car (paid up for two years), and that was an exception to their workflow. I still need to verify that the plates transferred.
2. The Tesla app wouldn't make the payment electronically, so I had to get the plates put back on my trade-in, drive to the bank and get a cashier's check.
3. The panel gaps were fine, but the roof had a small dent and the glass was not well-aligned. I have a service appointment in a week for the dent.

While I was at the bank, they wanted my ID via their bank card. The card reader wouldn't read the card until the teller came around and mashed the thing into the reader. It has clearly not been a good day for me and technology.

The pièce de résistance was that as I was returning to Tesla with the cashier's check, the radio was interrupted by an emergency broadcast alert. I was thinking that the world really doesn't want me in this car and we've got nukes inbound to make sure it doesn't happen. Fortunately, it was only a test of the broadcast system. You might laugh at the absurdity of the idea of nuking my area, but if you look at where I am, you'll understand.

As you'd expect, the car itself drives flawlessly. I started with an 85% charge, and it was still calibrating the driving system after about a 20 minute drive home. One-pedal driving is taking a little getting used to, but it seems like it's going to be a very intuitive way to drive when I get it down. I'll stop there as nobody needs another set of initial driving impressions about a Tesla.

I hope that each of you moves through the delivery process quickly and cleanly, and that the car lives up to your expectations in every way. Good luck!

I ordered a black model 3 long range with 19" sport wheels on March 12 at 10:43 p.m. est. It originally said May as a target date. I woke up on the 13th and it said March 26-31. I reached out to Tesla and they said that date will move around until I get a VIN number but that may be a while. I woke up on the 14th and had a vin number and a delivery date of March 19-26. Then later that day I was given a 3 day window for deliver. I selected Sunday March 27 at 2:30. Yesterday (March 22) they let me know that my car is still in transit and I won't be able to take deliver until March 30. That's really frustrating but at least it's not being pushed out to August to October. I'm really surprised to hear that.

I picked up my car this morning. The process didn't go quite as smoothly as I would have hoped, but the Tesla folks were ever helpful and friendly. They're moving a LOT of cars. I was surprised at how low-key the environment was. I felt like I was at a Jiffy Lube.

Twists and turns:

1. I wanted to transfer my plates from my current car (paid up for two years), and that was an exception to their workflow. I still need to verify that the plates transferred.
2. The Tesla app wouldn't make the payment electronically, so I had to get the plates put back on my trade-in, drive to the bank and get a cashier's check.
3. The panel gaps were fine, but the roof had a small dent and the glass was not well-aligned. I have a service appointment in a week for the dent.

While I was at the bank, they wanted my ID via their bank card. The card reader wouldn't read the card until the teller came around and mashed the thing into the reader. It has clearly not been a good day for me and technology.

The pièce de résistance was that as I was returning to Tesla with the cashier's check, the radio was interrupted by an emergency broadcast alert. I was thinking that the world really doesn't want me in this car and we've got nukes inbound to make sure it doesn't happen. Fortunately, it was only a test of the broadcast system. You might laugh at the absurdity of the idea of nuking my area, but if you look at where I am, you'll understand.

As you'd expect, the car itself drives flawlessly. I started with an 85% charge, and it was still calibrating the driving system after about a 20 minute drive home. One-pedal driving is taking a little getting used to, but it seems like it's going to be a very intuitive way to drive when I get it down. I'll stop there as nobody needs another set of initial driving impressions about a Tesla.

I hope that each of you moves through the delivery process quickly and cleanly, and that the car lives up to your expectations in every way. Good luck!
Glad you finally got your M3LR! I'm getting a deep blue color as well. I would be unnerved to have my positive vibes derailed with those issues. You graduated though! Enjoy your ride!

I ordered a black model 3 long range with 19" sport wheels on March 12 at 10:43 p.m. est. It originally said May as a target date. I woke up on the 13th and it said March 26-31. I reached out to Tesla and they said that date will move around until I get a VIN number but that may be a while. I woke up on the 14th and had a vin number and a delivery date of March 19-26. Then later that day I was given a 3 day window for deliver. I selected Sunday March 27 at 2:30. Yesterday (March 22) they let me know that my car is still in transit and I won't be able to take deliver until March 30. That's really frustrating but at least it's not being pushed out to August to October. I'm really surprised to hear that.
Wow, consider yourself extremely lucky. Most people are waiting anywhere between 4-8 months and you're getting yours in ~3 weeks. No reason to be even slightly frustrated.

Reactions: Cincybearcatfa
2022-02-04: Order placed, original EDD Mar 2022, white M3LR/black int/18"/no FSD
2022-02-23: EDD pushed to Apr 8 - May 10
2022-03-02: EDD changed to Mar 12 - Mar 31
2022-03-04: I changed paint from white to MSM
2022-03-08: EDD changed to Apr 15 - May 13
2022-03-08: I changed paint from MSM to red
2022-03-16: EDD changed to Mar 16 - Mar 20
2022-03-16: VIN assigned, delivery window set for Mar 18 - Mar 20
Update: delivery taken 2022-03-23 (originally was yesterday, 2022-03-22, but needed a quick fix).

Glad you finally got your M3LR! I'm getting a deep blue color as well. I would be unnerved to have my positive vibes derailed with those issues. You graduated though! Enjoy your ride!
It's a nice looking car for sure. Don't let my misadventures sour your anticipation. The tag transfer was pretty unusual (nobody was trading in their car with Tesla while I was there), the app misbehaving was probably due to my old phone (whose battery is getting destroyed by the Tesla app), and the dent and misalignment are hardly noticeable unless you actively look. I've never inspected a car this thoroughly before. If I had, I'm sure I would have found minor issues like these on prior vehicles. The dent is the size of my thumbnail, and the glass is off by a couple millimeters on one side while it's level on the other.

I forgot to add that I got the charging cord, 110 volt connector and an SAE J1772 adapter. No other accessories were present unless you include the tow hook in the frunk.