Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this to say- I'm curious to know why you guys chose Tesla?
Multiple reasons:
1) Drove a manual transmission without power steering for most of my life. Tesla sports steering and hold regen braking is the closest I can get to that feeling. All other automatic cars feel too loose.
2) I have a doctorate in machine learning and semantic segmentation (in simple terms the technology used in full self driving software), so I wanted to try the software for myself. Also Tesla is as much of a tech/research company as an automobile company. So, got to support the folks in my field and I trust their software/code more than other ICE companies.
3) Agree or not, climate change happening and the worse effects will become evident during the lifetime of 2 generations from now. Mining is bad, and most electricity is generated from gas, but the more EV become mainstream, the more the chances of finding alternative and better ways to power cars and other industries.
4) Support the cool stuff Tesla/ spacex are working on. Solar panels, satellite internet, commercial rockets, yes please. Not all will work out, but innovation is the key to a better future of the humanity.

Last thought ... is anyone else concerned that ... Tesla will offer something SOOO MUCH BETTER that your car will seem obsolete (and value will drop through the floor overnight)?
From the software point of view, no. I am anticipating FSD computer 4 and additional cameras in the next 2 years or so, but there wont be a huge improvement from the software point of view. Autopilot works well. FSD beta is looking good and is being tested on current hardware and camera layout. So there will be support for city navigate FSD when it comes out. But both of these systems have limitations and I dont think those limitations can be overcome anytime soon. Its always easy to improve accuracy from 0 to 90%. But super hard to take it from 90 to 95%. Its the edge cases which require so much effort.

Yes Tesla has the new batteries that they will be putting in the upcoming cars. But dont expect them to charge 50% faster or provide 75% more range. You cant fully charge a car in 15 mins using the same power outlet that you use to charge your cellphone. 350 miles range is more than enough and if they somehow find a way to increase the range by 75% i.e reduce the size to 1/1.75, they would put less batteries in the car to reduce the cost and the weight.

But yet, they will definitely be adding new cooler features that are available in other ICE cars. Maybe heads up display, or more comfy seats, laminated rear windows etc.

Last edited:
All this to say- I'm curious to know why you guys chose Tesla? I think a poll with a few options would be really interesting. I'm also curious how many of the folks in this thread are repeat Tesla customers? Are we all virgins here? If not... how long did you keep your first Tesla?

Last thought and I promise I'm done here... is anyone else concerned that after finally pulling the trigger, and then waiting months to get the car, that Tesla will offer something SOOO MUCH BETTER that your car will seem obsolete (and value will drop through the floor overnight)? What if they release a new battery with 50%faster charge times and 75% more range in November? What if a surprise pickup truck is announced to start production Jan '23? What if the Model 3 gets falcon wing doors? I guess you get the point by now..... Will we feel like assholes?
This is my first electric vehicle, and I ordered for many reasons.

1. The car is electric, making it clean and simple. It is just so wonderful not to deal with the mechanical nightmare that is an ICE vehicle.
2. It requires very little maintenance, and I've always been terrible at maintenance.
3. Tesla doesn't use the dealership model, which was a huge point for me. I could go on about that for a week.
4. I wouldn't even consider a non-Tesla because it took Tesla 20 years to achieve its current success, and all that while no existing carmaker got off their backside to pursue this technology.
5. I love the styling, inside and out. A Model S would be amazing, but the most I've ever put into a car was $25,000, so I remain uncomfortable even with the relative ostentatiousness of a Model 3.

As for going obsolete, bring it on. The Model 3 is a good vehicle. More capabilities will be great, but it's just not that important. What it can do today is plenty. I've never been the cool kid on the block with the newest toys. With the Model 3 I get to be the cool kid, and that's a fun sensation, but it's not something that I need to repeat. Let the improvements come. In a few years, I'll move up to the next great thing in electric cars.

Make that "in electric trucks".

Multiple reasons:
1) Drove a manual transmission without power steering for most of my life. Tesla sports steering and hold regen braking is the closest I can get to that feeling. All other automatic cars feel too loose.
2) I have a doctorate in machine learning and semantic segmentation (in simple terms the technology used in full self driving software), so I wanted to try the software for myself. Also Tesla is as much of a automobile company as it is a tech/research company. So, got to support the folks in my field and I trust their software/code more than other ICE companies.
3) Agree or not, climate change happening and the worse effects will become evident during the lifetime of 2 generations from now. Mining is bad, and most electricity is generated from gas, but the more EV become mainstream, the more the chances of finding alternative and better ways to power cars and other industries.

From the software point of view, no. I am anticipating FSD computer 4 and additional cameras in the next 2 years or so, but there wont be a huge improvement from the software point of view. Autopilot works well. FSD beta is looking good and is being tested on current hardware and camera layout. So the there will be support for city navigate FSD when it comes out. But both of these systems have limitations and I dont think those limitations can be removed anytime soon.
Yes Tesla has the new batteries that they will be putting in the upcoming cars. But dont expect them to charge 50% faster or provide 75% more range. You cant fully charge a car in 15 mins using the same power outlet that you use to charge your cellphone. 350 miles range is more than enough and if they somehow find a way to increase the range by 75% i.e reduce the size to 1/1.75, they would put less batteries in the car to reduce the cost and the weight.
Wow, you sound incredibly well educated! Congrats! I bet that will be very cool to "know" what's happening when the car makes certain FSD driving decisions.

And i definitely didn't want to start a climate change debate, lord knows we'd never see the end of that. Without stating my opinions on the matter, my POV for the question/ thought was more about WHETHER that was the biggest motivation for some to make the purchase, or was something else at the root of this decision? Either way, thanks for your response. Was curious if anyone would read such a long winded post on here.

Ok damn it. I can't view signatures when using the app. With all these VINs being assigned it would be nice to see the order date in signature. Everyone keeps saying flip the phone to landscape - it doesn't change the orientation of the screen (samsung note 12? I think)... all other apps rotate just fine. Am I REALLY the only one?

Autopilot works well.
I don't want to go too far afield with this, but I really don't care for Autopilot at all. My experience with it so far is that it's like having a skittish teen driving the car. I'd only use all the automatic and emergency features if I was seriously impaired. Sleep-deprived, injured, drunk, something. If there's an emergency, I definitely don't want that skittish teen trying to bail me out. So I've turned most everything off. I should probably create a driver profile for "Impaired JB" with it all turned on. Maybe it'll get my busted body to a hospital someday.

That said, I did pay for FSD and I'm in line for activation. I want to help make it work because I really don't want people driving cars. Unfortunately, I don't know if Tesla has the needed insights to make it happen. They can't creep their way to the level of an average driver. They need to knock the problem of highly skilled driving right out of the park.

They are in stock.
Isnt the Aug2020-2022 version the latest version?
That's odd. I had the same option and it said sold out. On the other side that sell a "I forget the term" fancier version with new deeper grooves and higher sides but they cost even more.

This is my first electric vehicle, and I ordered for many reasons.

1. The car is electric, making it clean and simple. It is just so wonderful not to deal with the mechanical nightmare that is an ICE vehicle.
2. It requires very little maintenance, and I've always been terrible at maintenance.
3. Tesla doesn't use the dealership model, which was a huge point for me. I could go on about that for a week.
4. I wouldn't even consider a non-Tesla because it took Tesla 20 years to achieve its current success, and all that while no existing carmaker got off their backside to pursue this technology.
5. I love the styling, inside and out. A Model S would be amazing, but the most I've ever put into a car was $25,000, so I remain uncomfortable even with the relative ostentatiousness of a Model 3.

As for going obsolete, bring it on. The Model 3 is a good vehicle. More capabilities will be great, but it's just not that important. What it can do today is plenty. I've never been the cool kid on the block with the newest toys. With the Model 3 I get to be the cool kid, and that's a fun sensation, but it's not something that I need to repeat. Let the improvements come. In a few years, I'll move up to the next great thing in electric cars.

Make that "in electric trucks".
Holy cow... most of your points mirror my thoughts exactly! Especially about the current capabilities of the car being sufficient and this being the 1st time you're the "cool kid" in terms of having the latest/ greatest thing. But you REALLY hit the nail on the head with your comment about never previously spending more than $25k on a vehicle. $60k sure seems like a big jump until you really account for all of the benefits of the model 3. Great response!

All this to say- I'm curious to know why you guys chose Tesla?
TL;DR: it was the least expensive option for an AWD EV that was relatively quick and sporty and not a crossover.

I was pretty anti-Tesla in the beginning actually, mainly because of Musk’s shenanigans and the attitude of a lot of overnight diehard Tesla stans and Elon worshippers.

Being a huge car enthusiast, it was somewhat annoying seeing so many friends and acquaintances that never knew anything or cared about cars at all before suddenly be like Tesla this and Tesla that and it’s faster than all these cars and it’s so much better than everything else etc etc. Literally people I went to school with that has driven a beat up 2003 Camry or 1999 Prius their whole adult life were like omg Tesla is so fast and handles so well and the tech is out of the world, it’s literally the best car ever and everything else can go to hell. I didn’t want to be lumped in with that crowd so that was a big reason I never considered Tesla.

I had sold my 2018 Golf R in December to cash in on crazy used car values and was hoping the market would cool in a year or so and I could pick up something else fun. Then Russia happened and gas prices skyrocketed and I figured that would screw up the car industry for another few years at least before it comes back to pre-Covid levels and I wanted something more efficient in the mean time.

Landed on the Model 3 because I didn’t really want a crossover if possible and it was one of the cheapest long range AWD EVs that weren’t slow and boring. I wanted to like the ID4 but wanted something somewhat quick and sporty still and it was just “meh”. There’s definitely some interesting competition now (Ioniq 5, EV6, Mach E GT, i4 M50, etc) but they’re all $60k and well beyond and I wanted to stay closer to $50k. Not to mention all the dealer markup BS with the Ionic 5 and EV6.

TBH if the current $54990 price was the price when I ordered, I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger. I almost skipped because the price went from $50990 to 51990 while I was trying to decide still.

Still a lot of things I don’t love about the Model 3 but it will do for now until competition heats up more over the next 2-3 years and will see what else is out there. Also the fact that Tesla resale values have been pretty high (even pre-pandemic) made me more comfortable knowing I can get rid of it in a few years and hopefully not lose a lot of value. Still plan to have some fun cars that burn fuel as well and this would just be a commuter car.

I don't want to go too far afield with this, but I really don't care for Autopilot at all. My experience with it so far is that it's like having a skittish teen driving the car. I'd only use all the automatic and emergency features if I was seriously impaired. Sleep-deprived, injured, drunk, something. If there's an emergency, I definitely don't want that skittish teen trying to bail me out. So I've turned most everything off. I should probably create a driver profile for "Impaired JB" with it all turned on. Maybe it'll get my busted body to a hospital someday.

That said, I did pay for FSD and I'm in line for activation. I want to help make it work because I really don't want people driving cars. Unfortunately, I don't know if Tesla has the needed insights to make it happen. They can't creep their way to the level of an average driver. They need to knock the problem of highly skilled driving right out of the park.
I hear you. I think alot of time things get lost in semantics. When I say it works well, it means it works 95% of the time. The subtext here is that, compared to 7-8 years ago, it is much better as at that time it was hard to get it to work even 25-30% of the time. 95% is great from a reseaerch point of view, but is nowhere close to what real world systems should be. For reference, people were against the J&J vaccine because there was a 1 in x million chance to develop a rare condition. So I completely understand from real world point of view, and people should use the software as such.

But lets also be the devils advocate here. Lets say an average driver is asked to drive in an unknown location with an unknown weather, who would drive better? an average driver or the FSD system? The point is, people expect the software to drive in every single location without any error, even though they themselves wont be able to drive as efficiently on routes they are not familiar with.

Bottomline, we are many many years away from an FSD system which can drive, in every location on the planet, better than an average driver who is familiar with that location. But that shouldnt mean the system does not work well.

As for the limitations, we are currently primarily limited due to the computational power of current generation of computers and the lack of training data. But who knows, tomorrow someone comes up with a really really cool variant of a deep neural network, and we might not even need the extra computational power.