Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how long it takes them to build a vehicle from start to finish?
The generally quoted number is 10 hours. But that number has been thrown around for Model Ys being built with the Gigapresses as well as Model 3s, which have a whole bunch of welded pieces instead of one-piece castings. So somebody is confused. I assume the 10 hours is for the Gigapress Model Y. The Gigapress can crank out the equivalent of that complex set of welded pieces in about 45 seconds.

VW's CEO says that it takes them 30 hours to build a car (I assume electric) and they want to get down to 20 this year.

It definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but the demo had only 480 miles on it. I'm guessing the miles-to-butts ratio is something like 50:1. I can live with 9.6 butts having touched the virgin driver seat if it saves me a couple of months agonizing over the ever- changing EDDs. But I completely understand the sentiment nonetheless.
Demo models are typically for test drives. In California atleast, they only let you test drive for 25 mins. So approx 10-15 miles max per test drive. So you are looking at anywhere from 32-48 butts. And if the model was also used as a display model, you can pretty much add 100 more butts of all ages, genders and sizes . :)

I currently own a Ford Mach-E and I can say that the 240V outlet has been plenty sufficient for me. Sure the wall box can charge quicker but the 240V NEMA 14-50 makes it so that I can use it with Tesla or with any other EV such as the Mach-E.

If the car is at 10% the 240v outlet will typically charge it up to the 80 or 90% that I've limited it to overnight which is plenty sufficient for me. I don't drive the car enough to necessitate charging multiple times during the day which is when I think having a wall box would be helpful. If I do, I can always rely on the supercharging (or in the case of the Mach E, the Electrify America) network.

One additional benefit of the wall box is that you get greater level of detail of your charging since the box itself is 'smart' and wifi connected unlike the mobile connector.

Just my 2 cents.

**EDIT** Here is some additional information for your research:

There is a whole thread dedicated to it:
Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide
Extremely helpful info, thanks so much! 😄

Just a heads up... I emailed [email protected] a few hours ago, provided them the order number, told them I bought the wall charger a few weeks ago for $500 and noticed that the price is now showing $400 on the website. They just got back to me saying they will price adjust and refund the amount back to my card. So I would just go ahead and do that as well.
Oh nice, good info. I just emailed them as well, I'll post something here if they also give me the refund

After drooling over Teslas for six or seven years, I finally placed an order for a M3 LR AWD this past Tuesday (the 26th). Estimated delivery at the time was between July - October this year, matching what a sales rep had advised me over the phone.
Checking the app the very next day, the estimated delivery had updated to between May 1st - May 14th!! 😱
I was shocked and delighted! 🤩 I guess I got lucky that my particular configuration was already rolling off the factory line soon? Whatever the reason for the much faster-than-expected timeframe, I began scrambling to get everything ready.

Has anyone else seen things like this, where the estimated delivery changes to be so much sooner than anticipated?

Anyone have some tips for ensuring a smooth transition from ICE to EV? I have an appointment with a licensed electrician to install charging in my garage, but I'm unsure whether to actually go for the Tesla wall box, or just get a simple 240V utility outlet. From my understanding, the official Tesla charger only adds about 20% to the charging speed (over a simple 240V outlet), so is the extra $500 really worth it?

I'm also in Utah just south of the Salt Lake valley, so it can get pretty cold here. Any tips for getting the most from my battery during cold weather?
Well for comparison I use the 120V AC mobile charger, and I tried out a 48A Wall Charger the other day. It's at least 7x faster.
1651269076197.png

If you're getting the 14-50 adapter, it's max output is 32A, not 48A.
1651269104301.png

1651269123562.png

I don't think it'll be a big issue for you, but that depends on how much driving you do everyday and how much time you have to charge it.

As for tips, from the manual:
1651269538482.png

In cold weather, charge the vehicle immediately after finishing driving, as the battery will still be warm from driving. This saves time and energy from having to heat the battery from a cold soak.

If you do alot of smaller frequent trips, you will lose more range (use more range) as the battery will constantly be pre-heating itself for the trips, and small trips won't generate enough heat to passively warm up the battery.

Just a heads up... I emailed [email protected] a few hours ago, provided them the order number, told them I bought the wall charger a few weeks ago for $500 and noticed that the price is now showing $400 on the website. They just got back to me saying they will price adjust and refund the amount back to my card. So I would just go ahead and do that as well.
Ditto for me!! 😁 I did exactly what you did and surprise, they are making an "exception" and refunding the difference back to my card. Boy, now if they could only make an exception to knock off 20% of a new M3LR, or even Acceleration Boost...🤔

Reactions: SkunkApe
Well for comparison I use the 120V AC mobile charger, and I tried out a 48A Wall Charger the other day. It's at least 7x faster.
View attachment 798934

If you're getting the 14-50 adapter, it's max output is 32A, not 48A.
View attachment 798935
View attachment 798936
I don't think it'll be a big issue for you, but that depends on how much driving you do everyday and how much time you have to charge it.

As for tips, from the manual:
View attachment 798938

In cold weather, charge the vehicle immediately after finishing driving, as the battery will still be warm from driving. This saves time and energy from having to heat the battery from a cold soak.

If you do alot of smaller frequent trips, you will lose more range (use more range) as the battery will constantly be pre-heating itself for the trips, and small trips won't generate enough heat to passively warm up the battery.
Wow, thanks for all the detailed info! Yes, I plan to use the scheduling to precondition before my work commute. Neat idea about only using seat heating, rather than warming the whole cabin!
As for the charging, it looks like on a given night, I can get about 30 miles of range per hour, for 270 miles of range from 9 hours of charging, with the 14-50 connector. That should generally be sufficient for a full week of my commute, from just one night of charging.

The only real issue now, is that supposedly Tesla stopped providing the "mobile" connector with new cars? And it's also showing "out of stock" in the online shop...so I don't know how I'm supposed to charge at home, without buying the Tesla wall connector...

Just got the ball rolling on getting the membership at Carolina Cooportive FCU. Have to sign up for the North Carlolina Consumer Council first (I did the $20 membership for one year). Got my number and requested to apply for a loan. Hopefully I hear back from them soon and we can get the ball rolling. I have a weird feeling our june/july cars will actually be mid/end of may cars.

Reactions: SkunkApe
Wow, thanks for all the detailed info! Yes, I plan to use the scheduling to precondition before my work commute. Neat idea about only using seat heating, rather than warming the whole cabin!
As for the charging, it looks like on a given night, I can get about 30 miles of range per hour, for 270 miles of range from 9 hours of charging, with the 14-50 connector. That should generally be sufficient for a full week of my commute, from just one night of charging.

The only real issue now, is that supposedly Tesla stopped providing the "mobile" connector with new cars? And it's also showing "out of stock" in the online shop...so I don't know how I'm supposed to charge at home, without buying the Tesla wall connector...
See if you can modify your order - Tesla recently added a charging options section.

Car configurator now shows charging options as well. Finally we have an official date and no more hearsay and rumors and wrong info from SAs.

Attachments

• 1651274376903.png
    1651274376903.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 46