Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've explained it a couple times, but people just use "charge port" as a reference point for the topic because that's the way it first came up. People will also hear mention of other issues and latch onto the name used as the way they'll refer to it ever after. They'll probably tell their grandchildren about the time electric cars came without charging ports and we had to hand-wire the battery to the outlet each time.

For anyone who isn't aware, if you have a VIN and a short EDD window that's constantly slipping a day at a time, it's because of this charge port/ECU/missing part/backordered part problem. The cars are sitting in delivery lots, but lack a necessary part. The parts either haven't arrived or they haven't yet been installed. So they keep pushing your dates out until the vehicles get their needed part installed.

If anyone who was seeing that constant slip actually takes delivery, please let us know. That will establish that at least some parts have reached the field and have been installed.
This right here. My car has been sitting there since 4/30 with a 4 day window that slips everyday. I have read some posts about some getting delivery dates but it seems to be mostly out west. If anyone on the east coast with a slipping EDD get to pickup please let it be known. This is so frustrating to have my car less than 5 minutes up the road just sitting there…it’s been almost 2 weeks and what’s even more frustrating is the lack of communication . C’mon tesla get it together. By simply communicating with folks this entire process could be made way less frustrating.

I saw mention that one hour of video consumes 5GB of data. That's consistent with DVD recording sizes (2 hours for 2.4GB times four cameras). So if you have a 500GB drive, that gets you 100 hours. A 1TB drive gets you 200 hours. Your call. I went with a 500GB Samsung T5 and I'm sure that's ridiculous overkill.

Here's another article talking about drives for the dashcam. It recommends the Samsung T7 drive.

Best USB for Tesla Sentry Mode: 6 Tested, Lasting, No-Hassle Products

And a comparison of the T5 and T7 drives.

Samsung T5 vs. Samsung T7: Which portable SSD should you buy? | Digital Trends
Does it start overriding the ssd when it full? Or so we have to take it out and clear

I think wherever there is a 'public shared resource', these issues are bound to happen. Queuing is a good idea, but it brings a whole bunch of other things like people not knowing which stall to go to and no shows, and people at the back of the line having an earlier queue number.
We as a community should be better at these things and shouldnt need a system to dictate our every move.
I also just dont understand how there was such a fuss about the mobile charger not being included, and it looked like 110 out of 100 tesla owners were using it at home. Yet the super chargers have long lines of people trying to charge their cars.
Lots of way to solve the problems with a virtual queue.

Instead of having a single file line to wait for charging, have a waiting lot like how airports have a cell phone lot. That would also prevent cars from overflowing and blocking streets and other parking stalls of other shopping center patrons.

Could give priority to people passing through (ie road tripping) over locals. The cars already have Supercharger stops pre-planned in navigation and know when they will arrive.

It can give you a grace period of 3 minutes or something when it’s your turn to move your car to a stall. It could even dictate the exact stall to go to. If you don’t then it moves on to the next person in line. It can give you a grace period of 1-2 skips before it drops you from the line in case you were in the restroom or eating or something when your turn comes up and you weren’t ready. But it could also send a notification to your phone like 5 minutes before your turn saying like ‘you’re next in line to supercharge, please be ready to move your vehicle to a charging stall when notified’.

The cars have GPS so if someone in line doesn’t show up or leaves the area then they are dropped from the queue.

It can prevent a car from charging if someone tries to swoop in out of turn and possibly implement some sort of penalty system like a fine and/or deprioritize them in the future if they are a repeat offender.

———

And as for your mobile charger comment, a lot of people are using the mobile charger at home as their main charger and it doesn’t leave the house. Supercharging is meant for long road trips out of town. The people that rely on supercharging as their main way of charging and don’t have a way to plug in at home shouldn’t really buy an EV yet IMO.

This right here. My car has been sitting there since 4/30 with a 4 day window that slips everyday. I have read some posts about some getting delivery dates but it seems to be mostly out west. If anyone on the east coast with a slipping EDD get to pickup please let it be known. This is so frustrating to have my car less than 5 minutes up the road just sitting there…it’s been almost 2 weeks and what’s even more frustrating is the lack of communication . C’mon tesla get it together. By simply communicating with folks this entire process could be made way less frustrating.
not what i wanted to see - I have fallen into the same trap as of 05/07 with no good communication from Tesla at all vin is 238

I may have temporarily taken over the title of most EDDs in a 3 month span…EDD #11 = 5/27-5/31. This last stretch of waiting is excruciating! 😂 Supposedly, birthdate was 5/1, VIN 247xxx, in transit but “stuck”, has charging port and global headlamps…I will believe all this when I see it.

Anyone else get pushed back this far after a VIN, despite not having a missing charging port? I hope my car is in perfect condition after such a long transit time.🙏

For those of you in the same boat waiting for the coveted DD…we will get through this together!!!💪
For clarity, I was referring to missing parts of the charge port/ECU (hopefully you know what I mean!), but I was angry typing this early morning. 😂 As previously mentioned, my car is not affected per my SA (confirmed by 2 different SAs). 🤞Transport is delayed due to batching trucks/personnel and recent storms. Ugh. On average, it takes 3-ish weeks to reach here from Fremont, and they are waiting to fill up trucks before heading here. Maybe some cars in that batch are affected by missing parts, which causes mine to be delayed. Proximity clearly matters. The wait sucks, but I guess I need to learn more patience. 😂

The part with grandchildren being told stories was really unnecessary. The rest of what you said is valid, in my opinion.

Wonder if it's a matter of just shipping them to the Service Centres and waaaaiting for them to be installed, or it is more severe issue, with parts yet to having to arrive from China, for example, in which case the delay could be of many weeks.
Presumably there are parts available now as they seem to be pumping model 3s out of the factory with matrix lights. I would think it’s a relatively high priority to get these out to the cars sitting on delivery center lots- having those cars just sit gathering dust doesn’t help Tesla.

Received VIN today!! F248. EDD May 22-May 26... a few weeks to spare before its first 1600+ mile road trip if it arrives on schedule.

I received my trade-in valuation 3 days ago. Did Tesla reevaluate anyone's trade-in before delivery with <1 month between trade-in offer and delivery? Not sure what standard procedure is (if such a thing exists with Tesla orders).

Fingers crossed other Feb orders continue receiving VINs with this big VIN push the past few days.

For clarity, I was referring to missing parts of the charge port/ECU (hopefully you know what I mean!), but I was angry typing this early morning. 😂 As previously mentioned, my car is not affected per my SA (confirmed by 2 different SAs). 🤞Transport is delayed due to batching trucks/personnel and recent storms. Ugh. On average, it takes 3-ish weeks to reach here from Fremont, and they are waiting to fill up trucks before heading here. Maybe some cars in that batch are affected by missing parts, which causes mine to be delayed. Proximity clearly matters. The wait sucks, but I guess I need to learn more patience. 😂
Just an FYI on the ECU situation. I have read from numerous sources that this new version ECU is necessary for the new CCS adapter(not yet sold in US). It will open up 350kw non-Tesla chargers. I learned this from comments from users who purchased the new Tesla Korea CCS adapter.

Anyone here picking up from Atlanta with a VIN? Where all my Atlanta pickups at? Would like to hear your stories.
I've had my Atlanta pickup VIN for a while now. Slips a day every day. Currently saying May10-14th but SA says not before the 15th due to charge port.

VIN 235XXX

Note: This car was ordered November 22nd, 2021. So we are approaching 6 months. I wasn't in a hurry as I was driving a 2021 M3LR but I sold it last week and now am ready for the new car!

Just an FYI on the ECU situation. I have read from numerous sources that this new version ECU is necessary for the new CCS adapter(not yet sold in US). It will open up 350kw non-Tesla chargers. I learned this from comments from users who purchased the new Tesla Korea CCS adapter.
Interesting - although I have seen a couple reports of owners who were able to get the Korean adapter and use it successfully in their model 3s a couple months back.

As someone else stated, I’ve heard folks were able to order adapters from overseas and it worked fine. Also, why hold up vehicles for something not even available in the US yet or for those who could care less about charging at 350kw? Also just out of curiosity, what sources are you reading this from because I can’t find anything about it online.

As someone else stated, I’ve heard folks were able to order adapters from overseas and it worked fine. Also, why hold up vehicles for something not even available in the US yet or for those who could care less about charging at 350kw? Also just out of curiosity, what sources are you reading this from because I can’t find anything about it online.
They aren't holding up vehicles specifically because of the new ECUs capabilities, it just so happens that they switched to a new ECU around a year(?) ago. The fact that new cars are CCS enabled has nothing to do with the current shortage. If you go to any reddit thread on teslamotors that has someone in the US testing out the adapter, there are always comments asking/describing compatibility with the new CCS adapter, but every 2022 model is compatible, so we shouldn't have anything to worry about once it eventually is released in the US.