Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

Fun fact in that article: Tesla is 60% vertically integrated while traditional auto manufacturers are more typically 20% vertically integrated. Vertical integration is a statement of how much work the company does in the process of building the car. Traditional auto makers just build engines and assemble the pieces. Nothing else.
Basically dealers feel they have a god-given right to rip you off. I wish they would all just go away. I’ve had zero good interactions with dealers from sales to service, all brands, they all suck.

Reactions: MSM_M3LR
I can't believe that the people at Tesla are dumb enough to think that they can burn good will among their buyers and not expect that to come back to them. I had an experience with Ford that so alienated me that I've sworn off buying one of their products ever again. I wonder if Tesla is so overloaded with the task of scaling up their business that they aren't even aware of the customer experience. After all, if the Tesla people are stressed and overworked, they may not have much empathy for customers who want a flawless buying experience. Not consciously, but just following human nature as they're busy suffering themselves. In the software world, the joke is that we don't comment our code because it was hard to write, so it should be hard to understand.

Some of the problem comes from the top. Founder-owner-CEO companies take on the personality and interests of the boss very strongly. Facebook/META is Zuck, it doesn't matter what 99% of the employees want or think, his priorities rule. Oracle is an asshole in business because Ellison is an asshole. Apple was Jobs., focused on some things deeply and hostile to others.

EM is clearly on the spectrum and doesn't really care about human emotions of others. These aren't priorities to him compared to technical capability and a low cost process. He fired the PR department and replaced it by tweetstorms. Since Elon would care about the device and not the experience, the experience isn't invested in.

Long Time viewer, first time poster. Just entered my 2 week EDD window. Getting Excited

OD 3/24 M3LR Pearl White, Black Interior, 19" sport wheels, No FSD Las Vegas, Cash + Trade In.
EDD 1 - July-Aug
EDD 2 - May 31 - July 1
EDD 3 - June 31 - Aug 1
EDD 4 - June 10 - July 8
EDD 5 - June 2 - June 16
New EDD 6 - June 18 - July 2. Tesla is playing with my emotions.

OD 3/27 still have not seen any movement in my EDD which is 7/5-8/16. Also I’m in so cal as well which I’m still not seeing a lot of west coast vin or is it just me.

I'm in San Diego, OD 03/04, vin assigned this morning according to text. But the actual VIN wasn't given in it. The person/AI on the text chain said that it has not yet been transported to the service center.

I think they're figuring out if you can get in before the end of Q or not.

Since Elon would care about the device and not the experience, the experience isn't invested in.

I personally like this approach. If I get an awesome car at a lower price because Tesla doesn't invest in sales, I can easily forget about the interesting order fulfillment period. I was going to use the adjective 'annoying' but after being in this thread for a while I came to appreciate the process and find it quite fun to commiserate with others actually. :)

Not sure how obvious this is in @JB47394’s previous plots of orders, but the spreadsheet shows a massive spike in orders beginning on 02/28 and peaking in March. If we thought EDDs were broken before March, it is likely hard to get useful info from more recent ones. I’ve been assuming a 90-120 day wait for myself (early March OD) lately, other’s experience would seem to support this. Unless Tesla is able to really step it up there is likely going to be an additional 30-60 day lag for more recent orders.

As I was placing my order on 3/14, the estimated timeframe for an order was May. As soon as I submitted my order, my first EDD ended up being 8/19-10/14. A few weeks ago, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. EDD was end of May to end of June. I knew that was good since it would be about 3 months from OD. Then it slipped to July-Oct. This morning, Sept-Dec, which is the same as an order placed today. Seems pretty drastic. I'm not trading in a car, so I know it doesn't have anything to do with an offer needing renewed, which I've seen can be the problem in some cases. Hoping that once the ECU issue gets under control, it starts moving up. From thinking it would be May as I placed my order to hoping it will be here by the end of the year is a little frustrating.

This is a huge bummer, looks like many of our Austin friends are all seeing EDDs get knocked out to Q3?

Not sure how obvious this is in @JB47394’s previous plots of orders, but the spreadsheet shows a massive spike in orders beginning on 02/28 and peaking in March.
I'm surprised I never did a simple orders chart. I used a random number to space out the dots.

Orders.png

Edit: A closeup of 2022's orders as a bar chart. The absolute numbers don't mean anything, of course, because this is just the number of orders that people have recorded in the spreadsheet. Hopefully they are comparable over time.

Number Orders per Day.png

Last edited:
I received my vin today but it asking me for the insurance. Do I need to add insurance now or wait? also when you received your vin how many day's did it take to received your car? One more question do anyone have the lien holder address for Tesla financing? New EDD is June 19-June-23
Most people have a policy in place but it's set to start when the car is delivered. I had to send mine to my SA because it wouldn't allow me to enter it without giving errors.

So, I swung by the SC and THERE SHE WAS! She's a dirty girl right now, but I was still able to do a walk-around and verify some stuff.
She has Matrix headlights. I didn't see any gap issues. I didn't see any paint issues, but she's covered in dirt right now. Interior looked fine. Aero covers are not on the car. Not sure if they put them on before pickup or if they're in the trunk. Hankook tires.
According to her VIN sticker, she was born on June 2nd (the morning I got the VIN).
IMG_4082.jpeg

Update to my LR to P order, just got a text to schedule delivery. I can choose between Saturday - Monday. I need to build a calendar of homework to do before scheduling delivery first, such as selling my RAV4 to my Toyota dealer/CarMax, waiting for the credit union loan application, and adding my M3 to Allstate.
You will love the M3P, I have absolutely no regrets upgrading, my main concerns were the ride, but it is great. Love the acceleration and the look, the wheels are eye catching.. still can’t believe it was only 6 hours from changing the order to picking up the car! (I went with Tesla insurance just for speed, then figured I can shop for quotes later…
62886537-7857-4ABF-BB4C-8BEC4C2753AD.jpeg

Vin with 271 do they come with the matrix headlights?
I was assigned VIN 271 today. I called Tesla 888-518-3752 to ask a few questions. The SA said my car was born on June 5th and it had "matrix" headlights. I have learned from reading this forum that you cannot alway trust what you hear from Tesla SAs, so I will need to confirm this on delivery day in about two weeks.