Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my VIN last week with an EDD of this week. Since I live in Iowa, and we still have the no-direct-sales law, I had to pay in full before it could cross the border and be delivered to the Des Moines service center. I did that right away. I reached out to the SA last Friday and asked if they had an idea of when it might be available. They said it looked like arrival would be Monday and they'd reach out shortly after to schedule the delivery. That was the last I've heard anything. I sent a message yesterday and asked if they had any update. Haven't heard back yet. I'm not someone who gets too worked up over things like this, but it would be nice for some type of communication.

How days do they give you to pick up, typically? EDD is next Saturday but the wife and I both work night shift and are on opposite schedules.
Like others have said, it's usually 3 days. Did you get your VIN yet or are you just going off of the current EDD you have?
When you get your VIN, you'll get a text telling you to pick your delivery day. So, you can choose what day you want. It doesn't always align with your EDD, since it depends when your car arrives at the SC. After arrival they have to inspect, update, wash, etc. the car before it can be released.

Like others have said, it's usually 3 days. Did you get your VIN yet or are you just going off of the current EDD you have?
When you get your VIN, you'll get a text telling you to pick your delivery day. So, you can choose what day you want. It doesn't always align with your EDD, since it depends when your car arrives at the SC. After arrival they have to inspect, update, wash, etc. the car before it can be released.

Thank you everyone. Glad we have this forum…. great place for information. I got my VIN on Sunday night. Thanks.

Thank you everyone. Glad we have this forum…. great place for information. I got my VIN on Sunday night. Thanks.
Looks like you are using the same SC as me (Lisle, IL)! Just want to make sure you know that Illinois has a $4K EV rebate starting July 1st, anything purchased even a day earlier will not qualify, I reached out to the Illinois EPA to verify that. If the car is exactly how you want it (parts up to date and in great condition) I would totally understand just accepting it now, as I would have 2 weeks ago.

Just want to make sure you are aware and don't find out right after and beat yourself up over it.

Looks like you are using the same SC as me (Lisle, IL)! Just want to make sure you know that Illinois has a $4K EV rebate starting July 1st, anything purchased even a day earlier will not qualify, I reached out to the Illinois EPA to verify that. If the car is exactly how you want it (parts up to date and in great condition) I would totally understand just accepting it now, as I would have 2 weeks ago.

Just want to make sure you are aware and don't find out right after and beat yourself up over it.
Yea, thanks. We are kinda hoping to buy the car after July 1st and it doesn’t help that we are also very close to possible delivery time. Maybe it will work out perfectly lol.

Reactions: Originalando
Okay top tip here, something I just learned the hard way about trade-ins and sales tax. Tesla was going to give me 3200 for my trade in. Some friends of mine needed a car, and I really don't care about getting top dollar for this car (could probably get a few hundred more from Carmax or Carvana), so I was just like "give me 3200 for it and it's yours." I'd rather have someone use it than it potentially go to scrap or have Tesla make money on it selling it to a third party.

Well little did I know that sales tax is calculated AFTER your trade in value is subtracted from the cost of the vehicle. So I actually ended up losing about 190 bucks on the transaction once the trade-in value was subtracted from my bill. Not the end of the world, but had I known that I would have sold it at a point that would have covered the extra vehicle sales tax. So lesson learned, if you're going private party with your vehicle or with Carmax or something, do the math to see how that will change your sales tax burden to really get an idea of how much better the deal is. Especially if your car is worth a decent amount, this will change your tax bill significantly.

The SR has a lower range, less premium interior, less premium sound system, no floor mats lol, a single motor RWD vs AWD, etc.
The only thing that results in the SR having a “less premium interior” is the “less premium sound system” - that’s it. Otherwise, the SR and LR have the exact same interiors.

No floor mats? That’s a $20+ fix. Most people replace the OEM floor mats with all weather mats, anyway. So that’s a non-issue.

RWD vs. AWD is based on need. Teslas, and especially the Model 3, are referred to in California as the “California Camry” because there’s so many of them and I’m willing to bet the majority of Model 3 sales are in CA. To that end, AWD is simply not necessary in CA (and many other places). So the existence of AWD on the LR does not automatically make it the superior car.

So, the SR is here to stay and is definitely a good value as an “entry level” EV into the Tesla ecosystem. Think of it like BMW’s 320i, 323i, 325i, etc. and Mercedes’s C230, C250, C280, etc.

Okay top tip here, something I just learned the hard way about trade-ins and sales tax. Tesla was going to give me 3200 for my trade in. Some friends of mine needed a car, and I really don't care about getting top dollar for this car (could probably get a few hundred more from Carmax or Carvana), so I was just like "give me 3200 for it and it's yours." I'd rather have someone use it than it potentially go to scrap or have Tesla make money on it selling it to a third party.

Well little did I know that sales tax is calculated AFTER your trade in value is subtracted from the cost of the vehicle. So I actually ended up losing about 190 bucks on the transaction once the trade-in value was subtracted from my bill. Not the end of the world, but had I known that I would have sold it at a point that would have covered the extra vehicle sales tax. So lesson learned, if you're going private party with your vehicle or with Carmax or something, do the math to see how that will change your sales tax burden to really get an idea of how much better the deal is. Especially if your car is worth a decent amount, this will change your tax bill significantly.

On the other hand, your sales tax would go towards making infrastructure better!

Teslas, and especially the Model 3, are referred to in California as the “California Camry” because there’s so many of them and I’m willing to bet the majority of Model 3 sales are in CA.

I actually didn't know this lol. Would make sense when the Model 3 just came out and wasn't vastly more expensive than an actual Camry. But then again, the default car in LA seems to be a Mercedes or BMW, so the Model 3 is just displacing these to become the 'Camry'.

I actually didn't know this lol. Would make sense when the Model 3 just came out and wasn't vastly more expensive than an actual Camry. But then again, the default car in LA seems to be a Mercedes or BMW, so the Model 3 is just displacing these to become the 'Camry'.
In many parts of Orange County, Teslas are more common than a Honda Civic. I’d argue that the Model 3 is the new 3-series or C-class out here

Reactions: jpaychek and Hiline
Geez step out of this thread for a couple weeks and you're 100 pages behind :).

For those with delivery pending, if you haven't already watch the online videos before you go to pick up the car. At a minimum watch the ones on physical controls and the touchscreen. Pay attention to how to put it in drive/reverse, how the turn signals work and be prepared for regenerative breaking if you have not experienced it before.

www.tesla.com

Meet Your Model 3

Explore educational videos of your Model 3 to enable phone key from your mobile app, install the latest software update and more.
www.tesla.com

You didn’t address any of my points. Why doesn’t it work “that way”?

That people are still holding on to their SR order instead of switching speaks plenty to the appeal of the SR. In the Model 3 line-up, the LR is the average option, serving the average customer. But why sell to just the average customer when you can sell to non-average customers as well?
So I'll try to reply to both of you.
I think a low priced tesla is a wonderful idea. Tesla has said that they are shifting focus from experience cars like the S to more mainstream cars like the 3. The introduction of the 3 was a game changer still is and is why tesla is on the map. Personally I would not have bought a tesla except for the 3 at the current price point.

I'm not saying there is no demand for the SR. Of course there is. What I am saying is is that tesla is not a legacy automaker. They do not have the same infrastructure they are still building up. I Personally think they are biting off more then they can chew. The insane wait time for the SR is my proof of that.

People look at at 50k car and make a decision. To most that is a luxury car with all its preconceptions. Most people don't buy a tesla for the environment sorry just saying the truth. They buy it to save on gasoline and for the easier maintenance of an EV. However many will see the SR at 50k and see the shortcomings and refuse at that price point.

So in my opinion they should pause the SR and/or discontinue it until they have a better supply chain and/or are able to introduce it at a lower price point. I don't think they are anywhere near there so again just my opinion they should focus more on the LR and P and not keep getting people into an insanely long queue for the SR

I think a low priced tesla is a wonderful idea. Tesla has said that they are shifting focus from experience cars like the S to more mainstream cars like the 3. The introduction of the 3 was a game changer still is and is why tesla is on the map. Personally I would not have bought a tesla except for the 3 at the current price point.

I'm not saying there is no demand for the SR. Of course there is. What I am saying is is that tesla is not a legacy automaker. They do not have the same infrastructure they are still building up. I Personally think they are biting off more then they can chew. The insane wait time for the SR is my proof of that.

People look at at 50k car and make a decision. To most that is a luxury car with all its preconceptions. Most people don't buy a tesla for the environment sorry just saying the truth. They buy it to save on gasoline and for the easier maintenance of an EV. However many will see the SR at 50k and see the shortcomings and refuse at that price point.

So in my opinion they should pause the SR and/or discontinue it until they have a better supply chain and/or are able to introduce it at a lower price point. I don't think they are anywhere near there so again just my opinion they should focus more on the LR and P and not keep getting people into an insanely long queue for the SR
Just to add California is not the whole country. Some of us get snow and rain and RWD is really seen as a short coming.

• Funny
Reactions: jpaychek

As I understand it, the main issue with their supply chain is the availability of the battery. Since the SR uses a different battery supplier, keeping it around doesn't affect the rest of the production very much, while bringing in additional cash for Tesla to finance further expansion and purchase parts for future production.

I love seeing people drive an EV around LA - once there is enough volume, the air will be much cleaner and easier to breathe, Maybe we can see the stars in the sky again one day ...

As I understand it, the main issue with their supply chain is the availability of the battery. Since the SR uses a different battery supplier, keeping it around doesn't affect the rest of the production very much, while bringing in additional cash for Tesla to finance further expansion and purchase parts for future production.

I love seeing people drive an EV around LA - once there is enough volume, the air will be much cleaner and easier to breathe, Maybe we can see the stars in the sky again one day ...
It's definitely the future and I'm so glad to see that EVs look to have a bright future in this country

• Love
Reactions: Maric and jpaychek