Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That part makes sense. It seems to boil down to whether it's worth the risk. Tesla doesn't advertise, so having one of their cars in a neighborhood is the best advertising they can execute. While the SR won't be ubiquitous in lower-income areas, even a few will make a difference. A chunk of the advertising aspect could be covered by rental companies providing Teslas, so perhaps that point would balance out to a degree. There's still that perception that a Tesla is a snobby car, and I think the SR helps to reduce that a bit. If Steve down the road has a Tesla, maybe it's not just for The One Percent.

Tesla is also production constrained. They have a limited number of production lines for the Model 3. Each SR built in place of an LR is lost money.
Yes this is my main point. They only can make X number of cars per day and I think they should focus on less models until they are able to scale up even more

Reactions: JB47394
I’m an originally SR order placed on 3/11/22. With the LR price hike a few days ago I switched to LR yesterday. My EDD was 9/29-11/24 and this morning it switched to this Sunday - 6/19-6/29. Lol

I don’t know if I believe it but we will see
Another case of California orders moving way up in the last few days. I am in SF Bay Area. (Go DUBS)! This is the 4th on this board I have noticed, mine included. You have a similar EDD as mine. 6/26-7/6. The previous EDD for me was 8/21-10/4. M3LR, Blue, 19-inch wheels, No FSD.

For what it is worth I ordered a day after you, got my VIN on 6/6 for a Kansas City pickup and the delivery windows were This coming Monday 6/19 to Wednesday 6/22. For a place that probably doesn't handle all that many deliveries they may simply be waiting for the car to arrive and be detailed before reaching out.
Thanks. You're probably right. Didn't hear back from the SA, but the EDD changed from 6/12-6/17 to 6/19-6/25 a little bit ago.

UPDATE: Delivery scheduled for 6/22

Last edited:
You didn’t address any of my points. Why doesn’t it work “that way”?

That people are still holding on to their SR order instead of switching speaks plenty to the appeal of the SR. In the Model 3 line-up, the LR is the average option, serving the average customer. But why sell to just the average customer when you can sell to non-average customers as well?

I think in USA Toyota sells more Camrys than Corollas but will continue to sell Corollas forever. SR model sells more in China too.

In many parts of Orange County, Teslas are more common than a Honda Civic. I’d argue that the Model 3 is the new 3-series or C-class out here

Unquestionably! It used to be (in San Diego) that whenever a new BMW 3-series was released you'd see a big burst of them everywhere. No longer. There's a new generation but only a few of them around.

A more steady but increasing stream of Tesla 3 and some Y (though Y is still a minority). Older people with S who probably bought in 2016.

More muscle cars than I expected though (Challenger, Mustang, etc), maybe it's the military demo?

SUVs/CUVs are invisible to me.

Reactions: Maric
Unquestionably! It used to be (in San Diego) that whenever a new BMW 3-series was released you'd see a big burst of them everywhere. No longer. There's a new generation but only a few of them around.

A more steady but increasing stream of Tesla 3 and some Y (though Y is still a minority). Older people with S who probably bought in 2016.

More muscle cars than I expected though (Challenger, Mustang, etc), maybe it's the military demo?

SUVs/CUVs are invisible to me.
Tesla cars were a rarer sighting than supercars (Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini) in my part of LA up until late 2019. The car brand distribution completely shifted during quarantine. I ran around my neighborhood quite often and noticed the Tesla logo starting to pop up. By now, for every 10 cars parked on the street or in the driveway, 1 is a Tesla.

Tesla cars were a rarer sighting than supercars (Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini) in my part of LA up until late 2019. The car brand distribution completely shifted during quarantine. I ran around my neighborhood quite often and noticed the Tesla logo starting to pop up. By now, for every 10 cars parked on the street or in the driveway, 1 is a Tesla.
Same here over in Long Island

Reactions: Maric and Hiline
This could be interesting.
It certainly changes the self driving landscape. I wonder how FSD sales will fare after this change.

I just wish they'd put auto lane change into standard autopilot.
Just got a VIN but it’s 259xxx so most likely has old headlights. ☹️
We call those "vintage" or "classic". Collectors love 'em.

It certainly changes the self driving landscape. I wonder how FSD sales will fare after this change.

I just wish they'd put auto lane change into standard autopilot.

We call those "vintage" or "classic". Collectors love 'em.
I don’t understand why they do not include it with standard AP… my Mercedes’ even auto changes lanes when I hit the turn signal stalk…