Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never heard of a VIN being pulled back. What happened??
A series of unfortunate circumstances--since I did not select a delivery date, the car was assigned to someone else. But the issue is that neither the Tesla app nor the text messages that we replied to requesting for a date were answered. No worries, maybe the second time is the charm? 🤔

So, to clarify: Autopilot has lane change after confirmation. FSD has auto lane change.
My understanding is that Autopilot lacks any ability to change lanes on its own. FSD has the lane changing ability; the car will change lanes when it deems it appropriate while on the highway. By default, it requires the driver to confirm the lane change by using the turn signal. The optional behavior allows the vehicle to just make its lane changes without that confirmation. It's not available everywhere. I saw a guy who stated that it was available in the US but not in Canada.

So to be clear, Autopilot is just the cruise control and lane keeping features.

A series of unfortunate circumstances--since I did not select a delivery date, the car was assigned to someone else. But the issue is that neither the Tesla app nor the text messages that we replied to requesting for a date were answered. No worries, maybe the second time is the charm? 🤔
At least you have a good attitude about it all

That part makes sense. It seems to boil down to whether it's worth the risk. Tesla doesn't advertise, so having one of their cars in a neighborhood is the best advertising they can execute. While the SR won't be ubiquitous in lower-income areas, even a few will make a difference. A chunk of the advertising aspect could be covered by rental companies providing Teslas, so perhaps that point would balance out to a degree. There's still that perception that a Tesla is a snobby car, and I think the SR helps to reduce that a bit. If Steve down the road has a Tesla, maybe it's not just for The One Percent.
Its been said before that Tesla is a household name.
Also Tesla is the only EV maker that's still taking orders.
Everyone else is either waiting until 2023 or they're just straight up sold out/not available. Or you can put in an order but good luck hearing anything back.
Then you have to deal with dealerships and MSRP markups.
Looks like it's time to give myself a birthday present!
Yeah I’m good with that. Scaling back on production could help their quality control issues
Seems like EOQ push also causes a drop in QC
Yes this is my main point. They only can make X number of cars per day and I think they should focus on less models until they are able to scale up even more
Shared this before, but I think they've skimmed down the trims enough already.
1652995901477-png.806298

If Elon described Model 3 mass production as "hell", I don't want to know what mass production 2.0 looks like.
My understanding is that Autopilot lacks any ability to change lanes on its own. FSD has the lane changing ability; the car will change lanes when it deems it appropriate while on the highway. By default, it requires the driver to confirm the lane change by using the turn signal. The optional behavior allows the vehicle to just make its lane changes without that confirmation. It's not available everywhere. I saw a guy who stated that it was available in the US but not in Canada.

So to be clear, Autopilot is just the cruise control and lane keeping features.
Yup, I also only have TACC and autosteer.

Its been said before that Tesla is a household name.
Also Tesla is the only EV maker that's still taking orders.
Everyone else is either waiting until 2023 or they're just straight up sold out/not available. Or you can put in an order but good luck hearing anything back.
Then you have to deal with dealerships and MSRP markups.

Looks like it's time to give myself a birthday present!

Seems like EOQ push also causes a drop in QC

Shared this before, but I think they've skimmed down the trims enough already.
1652995901477-png.806298

If Elon described Model 3 mass production as "hell", I don't want to know what mass production 2.0 looks like.

Yup, I also only have TACC and autosteer.
I'd like to see what the graph looks like now tbh. I bet it look more like the earlier days then the later. Also it's much easier to scale up then to start. Now that they have been making model 3s for few years I'm sure they're become more efficient with the line. Also the model 3 is the only model that runs a 24/7 line. That's a major problem and that's why the other models are so backordered. It's very inefficient to shut down a line to switch model priduction. Which is my point that maybe tesla should streamline the models and just offer an S X Y and model 3 LR and P

Hi, M3LR waiting room. SA has informed me that the M3LR arrived at the SC, was inspected and requires a bath. Learned a few things about the financing (loan) portion that is interesting to pass to the group. Apparently, there is a max limit on the downpayment you can give towards your vehicle. The delivery date and PPF install are now locked in. Figuring out how efficiently I can run through the checklist "laps".

I'd like to see what the graph looks like now tbh. I bet it look more like the earlier days then the later. Also it's much easier to scale up then to start. Now that they have been making model 3s for few years I'm sure they're become more efficient with the line. Also the model 3 is the only model that runs a 24/7 line. That's a major problem and that's why the other models are so backordered. It's very inefficient to shut down a line to switch model priduction. Which is my point that maybe tesla should streamline the models and just offer an S X Y and model 3 LR and P
With supposedly how “advanced” Tesla manufacturing is supposed to be I’m surprised they don’t have more manufacturing line flexibility like mixed model assembly lines.

I know for certain VW group and BMW have various models and body styles and powertrain options going down the same lines.

For how similar the 3 and Y are, they don’t really share a “platform” and are each on their own development path and therefore require dedicated assembly lines because components can be vastly different. Same for S and X.

Reactions: Maric
With supposedly how “advanced” Tesla manufacturing is supposed to be I’m surprised they don’t have more manufacturing line flexibility like mixed model assembly lines.

I know for certain VW group and BMW have various models and body styles and powertrain options going down the same lines.

For how similar the 3 and Y are, they don’t really share a “platform” and are each on their own development path and therefore require dedicated assembly lines because components can be vastly different. Same for S and X.
I do recall from a Sandy Munro battery teardown that Tesla has at least streamlined internal components - so maybe rather than having fewer lines and more throughput, they've chosen to maintain their product segmentation.
Sounds like it's optimized for profit.

I do recall from a Sandy Munro battery teardown that Tesla has at least streamlined internal components - so maybe rather than having fewer lines and more throughput, they've chosen to maintain their product segmentation.
Sounds like it's optimized for profit.
Yeah I know the model 3 shares the same platform as I think the Y (or X?) and there was a tear down I watched where the engine parts are modular between the two cars. That said tesla is far from optimized in their production at this point. This is more then just a "supply chain" issue.

Currently tesla makes 4 models and 9 makes. Within those are also interior options, hitches, paint colors, interior seating choices wheel sizes. With just makes and colors there are 45 options add in seating color now there is almost 100 options. Add in the other stuff and you see where this is going. They don't have the infrastructure to do this in a timely manner and that is why the backlog is so high. Now they want to add a cybertruck in 3 makes and a semi!

Musk is a visionary for sure but that's also his flaw. He is never willing to bavktrack a bit fix things and then move forward again and in the long term I worry that might hurt more then help.

I also almost forgot about this FSD package which is a whole nother issue

Last edited:
Reactions: Maric
Since I'm enjoying stirring the pot a little here's my solution to this

Model S
Standard: get rid of this if someone can buy a 100k car they'll probably be ok with shelling out 135k for the faster version ( this is not my strongest case)

Model 3
SR: As I've said in previous posts suspend this car production until they scale up more and/or can reintroduce at a even lower price
LR: rename to Model 3 standard or something and make base model
P: leave alone

Model X
Plaid: Discontinue. People are buying this as a family car if they want the speed at that price they will buy the S

Model Y
Performance: Similar to my reasoning on the X plaid but not as strong. This is a family car as well speed is not as important

That's just my views cause I'm bored and waiting for my car to come in a few months so I can have some fun with it lol

⚠️ Warning throwing a pitty party ⚠️
Not gonna lie, it’s kind of discouraging and annoying seeing all these VINs being assigned to people with order dates after mine given how much emphasis is put on EOQ on the “West Coast”. Super happy for Tesla and team seemingly spreading the love out and hopefully flattening the waves of deliveries so they don’t have to deal with EOQ pushes though. But ugh 😩

Okay rant over. It has been so great reading through everyone else’s experiences, tips & tricks and helpful advice you all have shared. It has definitely made this wait a lot easier than going it alone. Cheers to all those that have gotten their VINs and deliveries coming up! I’m hoping im not too far behind you!

Not gonna lie, it’s kind of discouraging and annoying seeing all these VINs being assigned to people with order dates after mine given how much emphasis is put on EOQ on the “West Coast”. Super happy for Tesla and team seemingly spreading the love out and hopefully flattening the waves of deliveries so they don’t have to deal with EOQ pushes though. But ugh 😩

Okay rant over. It has been so great reading through everyone else’s experiences, tips & tricks and helpful advice you all have shared. It has definitely made this wait a lot easier than going it alone. Cheers to all those that have gotten their VINs and deliveries coming up! I’m hoping im not too far behind you!

I feel you... But I think we are likely getting our car this quarter. Actually I think you are more likely getting it before me.

I feel you... But I think we are likely getting our car this quarter. Actually I think you are more likely getting it before me.
Hang in there! Tesla genie says it's gonna happen soon! 🧞‍♀️