Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be my first brand new car. I’m 45 and have refused to “waste money” on having a new car. I usually buy luxury vehicles that are 3-4 years old. I just let someone else drive the new off of them enough to get the depreciated value and I can still sell them 5 years later for a decent price. I was going to buy a used Tesla until I realized I could get a new one for less and saving money on gas is a win-win for my thrifty soul.
Nfletcher, I'm right there with you! Never owned a new car, never leased, always bought used. Maintained it well and kept it for 5-9 years. I decided to go EV due to commmute to work and gas prices. Test drove several Hybrids and EV's, but kept coming back to the Tesla. Love the bodystyle, software updates, and simplicity of the M3. $ for used Teslas right now are more than buying new! 😲

Nfletcher, I'm right there with you! Never owned a new car, never leased, always bought used. Maintained it well and kept it for 5-9 years. I decided to go EV due to commmute to work and gas prices. Test drove several Hybrids and EV's, but kept coming back to the Tesla. Love the bodystyle, software updates, and simplicity of the M3. $ for used Teslas right now are more than buying new! 😲
It's funny how similar we all are on this. Couldn't buy used this time prices are too high and I'm tired of taking over someone's problem. With gas prices I decided to take the plunge and go EV and it seemed like tesla is the only one that has ev figured out right now. The other EVs just don't feel "smooth" to me really hated the bmw i4 those cars feel like they are after thoughts from the manufacturer while tesla feels like they sorted out the basics and now are working on the polish

Also, has anyone avoided telling anti ev relatives that you ordered one until it actually arrived ? I haven’t told my parents I have one ordered. Can’t wait to hear how dumb I am for going electric after showing up with it after a 400 mile drive to visit! 😂

How were there reactions once you showed them the vehicle?
Just be sure to tell them it's 100% American made, most likely that's not the case with whatever they're driving. My other car is a Ford and it was made in Europe. (Also my Ford has less range than my Model 3)

Then also tell them how much it cost to get you those 400 miles versus driving an ICE vehicle.

My family is cool about it, so I don't have to deal with any of that BS luckily. My mother just got a giant Volvo XC90 plug-in hybrid, I get pictures of her MPG occasionally and she's up to 90 right now. The tide is turning.

I tried to reason and explain EV’s to a couple of people I know but now I just tell people “I don’t care if it runs on unicorn blood, I just like the car.” It usually shuts people up.
I've heard, "Save your money for a few years, prices will come down...there are less expensive cars out there...not enough places to charge...you don't need two cars...Tesla has lots of problems (crashes, battery fires, etc.). My response, "This is my retirement present to me from me. I earned this...literally. Oh, BTW, I want it." They can put that in their pipe and smoke it. 😆

Bay Area with OD of 3/17 for a blue M3 with 18” wheels. Awoke to a RDF pushback from 6/20-7/1 to 6/25-7/5. After the end of the quarter! Not even a VIN yet. Can’t believe this when I see deliveries occurring elsewhere for similar cars ordered later! They are running out of time to get the delivery made by quarter end. Anyone else with this experience?

Bay Area with OD of 3/17 for a blue M3 with 18” wheels. Awoke to a RDF pushback from 6/20-7/1 to 6/25-7/5. After the end of the quarter! Not even a VIN yet. Can’t believe this when I see deliveries occurring elsewhere for similar cars ordered later! They are running out of time to get the delivery made by quarter end. Anyone else with this experience?
I also got a slight pushback From 6/19-7/3 not its 6/22-7/6. Bay Area as well.

$ for used Teslas right now are more than buying new! 😲
Wanted to add color to this interesting phenomenon. Used Teslas are not really cheaper than new Teslas - if you buy from the same dealership, new cars are still priced higher than used cars at a significant margin. The difference between buying a used car and ordering a new car is in the expected value of money. With inflation and with wait time of 6 months, a dollar today is worth perhaps a dollar and 5 cents at delivery. So the same used car that's worth 50k today is worth 52.5k by the time you take delivery of the new car, just from present value calculations alone.

Add to this 4 more things: gas savings (if a month of driving an EV saves you $300 dollars for example, getting a Tesla 6 months earlier nets you $2k), and the prior inspections by the previous owner and by the dealership (presumably any possible issues have been uncovered and fixed), the slow depreciation of the Model 3 (due to a rise in demand and due to its supposed lifespan of 1 million miles), and the ongoing general lack of car supply, and you get this odd used car prices for the model.

The difference between buying a used car and ordering a new car is in the expected value of money. With inflation and with wait time of 6 months, a dollar today is worth perhaps a dollar and 5 cents at delivery. So the same used car that's worth 50k today is worth 52.5k by the time you take delivery of the new car, just from present value calculations alone.
Yes, except that the new car price is locked in when you order, so your new car is also appreciating in value according to that inflationary pattern. So if you buy a used car in January and order a new car in January, both times you're buying with January dollars.

The gas savings are definitely real for buying now versus later.

Reactions: jpaychek and Hiline
Another day, Another EDD update. This makes for my 11th EDD. My new time frame is June 30th-July 14th. I’m back to a two week window! Wahoo! Gonna have to get creative with my signature as I keep running our room.
Wow, mine has stuck steady to 7/8 - 8/12, I guess ordering 3 days later at that point in March really made a difference? Or else they just gave me all of the crazy EDDs early on. 🤷‍♀️

Wanted to add color to this interesting phenomenon. Used Teslas are not really cheaper than new Teslas - if you buy from the same dealership, new cars are still priced higher than used cars at a significant margin. The difference between buying a used car and ordering a new car is in the expected value of money. With inflation and with wait time of 6 months, a dollar today is worth perhaps a dollar and 5 cents at delivery. So the same used car that's worth 50k today is worth 52.5k by the time you take delivery of the new car, just from present value calculations alone.

Add to this 4 more things: gas savings (if a month of driving an EV saves you $300 dollars for example, getting a Tesla 6 months earlier nets you $2k), and the prior inspections by the previous owner and by the dealership (presumably any possible issues have been uncovered and fixed), the slow depreciation of the Model 3 (due to a rise in demand and due to its supposed lifespan of 1 million miles), and the ongoing general lack of car supply, and you get this odd used car prices for the model.
In my area the only place to get a used one is from a place like Carmax or Carvana (being shipped from another state) and you’re getting one that is 3 years old for $60,000. I don’t trust that either of those places is knowledgeable or trustworthy enough to sell a Tesla in “new like” condition. In areas like CA where a used supply is plentiful that is probably a different story and you can find them for sale from an owner, dealership, or a service center. They don’t even have one to test drive at my service center.

Reactions: jpaychek and Hiline
🤣Hopefully you get that Tesla before changing up signature!!
For real! I need to start taking some inspiration from @T-J- on how to better set it up.
Wow, mine has stuck steady to 7/8 - 8/12, I guess ordering 3 days later at that point in March really made a difference? Or else they just gave me all of the crazy EDDs early on. 🤷‍♀️
I honestly would have almost preferred the steady EDD over this constantly fluctuating one. My anxiety and lack of patience can’t handle the ping pong.

Hoping for graduation day tomorrow as well. Picking up in Scottsdale. Called in to finalize down payment and SA said that the delivery team may call to reschedule for Thursday because my car may not arrive in time. Never got a call or text. Still a go for tomorrow, I hope.
Nice!
What was your original OD?
Mine OD was 3/20 and I've still got a EDD of 7/2 to 8/2
M3LR, MSM, Black, Aero, No FSD

Reactions: Maric
Hoping for graduation day tomorrow as well. Picking up in Scottsdale. Called in to finalize down payment and SA said that the delivery team may call to reschedule for Thursday because my car may not arrive in time. Never got a call or text. Still a go for tomorrow, I hope.
There seems to be no logic to who gets their order filled and when...
I see you have an identical order to mine except for the 19" wheels, and we are in the same town. My OD is 13 days before yours and you are about to receive your car!
Happy for you, but bummed to say the least.

Be prepared to answer dumb questions… and there may be an increase in sharing incomplete disinformation Facebook posts about EVs. Lol. Most of the time they only understand part of how an ev works, so maybe once you get one and they see how practical they are, they’ll be less stubborn about change.
Or once you destroy their V8 off the line. 😅

Another day, Another EDD update. This makes for my 11th EDD. My new time frame is June 30th-July 14th. I’m back to a two week window! Wahoo! Gonna have to get creative with my signature as I keep running our room.
Three more EDD's and you'll tie me!
If you're running out of signature room, take a look at mine below. Hopefully you won't need to get to 14.