Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car MSM/Black Interior, but am super frustrated I didn’t get matrix lights. How can you give the lights (that cost more money) to most customers who paid the same as me, and tell me at delivery there can be a free retrofit when parts are available and then when I make a service appointment I’m notified that’s not a thing?

I’m just pretty pissed I paid so much money and didn’t get all the new features.

Congrats, how was the pickup at Raleigh, any pointers? I am looking at late July now... but want to be prepared. Did you use a loan, cash, cashier's check etc?
Matthews, NC was my SC. Cashiers check - did everything online previous to visit- had to re submit insurance info as the binder didn’t have the dates on it. Signed 4 pieces of people- normal car transaction stuff and was done in under 10 minutes. Took me longer to look over the car and set it up. Very straight forward and easy process. 98 days total from order to delivery.

Appointment was 130p I showed up at 1230p and they went straight to it.

Want to come help me install mine ? the run should be really really short. like 5 feet at most. but I know nothing about electrical work
Is installed our level 2 charger about 4 years ago for my wifes Leaf and now Bolt, Step #1 Turn off the Main Breaker powering the house!
All joking aside if you have a friend with some electrical knowledge it's not that hard. Home Depot for the 50 amp. double breaker, wire, and you are ready to go. If you have never worked on this sort of thing, paying the man is better than getting hurt.
Good luck

Reactions: phaheem
Matthews, NC was my SC. Cashiers check - did everything online previous to visit- had to re submit insurance info as the binder didn’t have the dates on it. Signed 4 pieces of people- normal car transaction stuff and was done in under 10 minutes. Took me longer to look over the car and set it up. Very straight forward and easy process. 98 days total from order to delivery.

Appointment was 130p I showed up at 1230p and they went straight to it.
Thanks for the data points toady911! I plan to do most online and am about to drop my trade-in as the value they are offering is $4-6k below market value on KBB.

JB, Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed report of EDD's. Patiently waiting on the east coast! 🤗
Gators918 It will be fun watching your wait compared to mine! I feel like we are very similar and I’m curious to see how it plays out!
both east coast and OD are close. Cars are different (but still upgrades- not sure how your wheels play into it - I have seen some stuff all about the wheels) and it will be fun to see who get theirs first. EDDs are very similar!

There are still plenty of deliveries on the west coast during the beginning of the quarter, but just not a massive focused push like towards the end.
My early EDD was pretty out of wack compared with folks who ordered at the same time (@E90alex and @Guy Maughan for example) who live in my area and have the exact same config so I don’t put much stock in it.

As a data point I have a family member who got their car in early May and I saw plenty of trucks filled with Tesla deliveries earlier in the quarter during my commute so it’s not an absolute that they only deliver to the west coast at the end of the quarter. If I end up waiting six months for a M3LR (without putting my order on hold) I think that would be an extreme outlier at this point.

I really want to ask so, NC, start of Q3 coming, EDD Aug 13th - Sep 17th, ordered April 11th. Is it likely I will see my model 3 this quarter? I need some copium or a lot more accessories to distract me.
If that's your first EDD, then it's probably accurate.

In perusing the order spreadsheet, it looks like Tesla got through base configuration vehicle orders made between about 11 February to 24 March, which is 39 days of orders. Call it 40 days. Those orders include the super bowl order spike. If we assume that they can get through another 40 days of orders, that will get them from 24 March to 3 May, easily covering your order.

This is a very rough estimate based on a few hundred self-selected samples.

A couple more factoids:

Vehicles were almost exclusively delivered during May and June.

Average order-to-delivery wait for a base configuration was 96 days. That wait for upgraded configurations was 87 days.

As a data point I have a family member who got their car in early May and I saw plenty of trucks filled with Tesla deliveries earlier in the quarter during my commute so it’s not an absolute that they only deliver to the west coast at the end of the quarter. If I end up waiting six months for a M3LR (without putting my order on hold) I think that would be an extreme outlier at this point.
Yeah, in looking at the order spreadsheet I can't really say that I see much of a pattern in the west, so I think I'm going to stop pushing that theory. The east definitely favors the middle of the quarter because of the rail shipments batching the orders, but there are still deliveries in the east during the final month of the quarter. Perhaps those are all turned down vehicles.

Last edited:
Graduation Day! Actually yesterday, but I'm glad it is over with. 103 days OD to DD. VIN 2781xx. Matrix, Michelin, mobile connector with NEMA 5-15 plug and J1772 adapter. 7 miles on the odometer. My experience was good, no issues. The location was not very busy, only a few people ahead of me. It is a small parking lot and there were maybe 15-20 vehicles awaiting delivery. A mixture of Model Y's and 3's. Saw a Model S Plaid which was probably an employee car. Took my checklists but ended up only using my eyes to look for anything that stood out. What appeared to be scratches on the front left turn signal lens cover turned out to be dried glue from a protective covering and was cleaned by a detail guy. The SA was helpful and since I told him I was familiar with the setup, he basically left me to my own devices. Spent a fairly long time Creating profiles, updating Control settings, installing my cupholder insert, armrest and console trays, etc.

Bought the keyfob prior to delivery, but the SA and I were unable to authenticate it to the car at the time. I was able to do it when I got home. It works perfectly to unlock/lock car, open frunk and open/close trunk. Also bought a silicone fob pocket that securely holds and protects the fob. Has imprinted buttons that make it easy to identify the functions. Included pics of Tuxmat floor mats I bought and the keyfob holder. The floor mats have a lot of coverage and provide a premium look, I think. They are expensive, but I wanted to splurge and get good quality.

Comfortable seats and the autopilot calibrated after maybe 20 minutes. I also felt the light vibration in the steering wheel for lane assist when getting too close to the lane markers. Smooth ride on smooth highway portions, but definitely a firm ride over bumps, small potholes, rough roadways. Tight steering in Standard mode. Note: I saw the AB (Acceleration Boost) in the upgrade portion of the app and considered it but will wait until I get tired of the already rocket acceleration. Can't justify 2K right now, but down the road...;)

Using wall charger at home is great. Took an hour to charge 63 miles driven. Out of curiosity, I left the car unplugged overnight to see how much battery drain and it lost 9 miles (4%) out of 286 miles when charged to 80%. I had left Sentry Mode on and some other items, so I will play around with setting to maximize drainage, but plan to keep the car plugged in when not in use.

I also took off the Aero covers and installed Tesla's Wheel Cap Kit 2.0. I know they will take a bit of a hit on mileage, but I like the look so far and will change back to Aero's for longer trips.

All in all, a joy to drive and absolutely worth the wait! I would not have had the knowledge or confidence to be able to arrive at the SC, assess the condition, create and adjust the settings and feel very comfortable about the entire process without all of the help, insight and guidance from each of you on this forum. Special thanks to the "senior members" who were there before me and had already "been there, done that". Of course, I'll stick around to answer any questions and provide support as I am able. Hang in there, you will be glad you did!
CONGRATS BUDDY!!!! So happy for you!
Want to come help me install mine ? the run should be really really short. like 5 feet at most. but I know nothing about electrical work
If it is a 5' run you will have ZERO issues! Mine was a 50' run through the garage attic and it was a pain.
I also was very hesitant on running the wires....circuit breaker isn't an issue it was simply trying to get around the headers in the garage.

I will be happy to help! NOT AN ELECTRICIAN but I can certainly help!.....

Get a quote on the Wall charger if you elect to go that route. If not, and you go the NEMA 14/50 route I have an unused Bryant 14/50 receptacle/cover plate and a Tesla 14-50 adapter I would be happy to chat with you about.

Either way it is a simple install....the hardest thing is going through drywall (not hard) and then bumping up against headers and such.

Reactions: jpaychek
If that's your first EDD, then it's probably accurate.

In perusing the order spreadsheet, it looks like Tesla got through base configuration vehicle orders made between about 11 February to 24 March, which is 39 days of orders. Call it 40 days. Those orders include the super bowl order spike. If we assume that they can get through another 40 days of orders, that will get them from 24 March to 3 May, easily covering your order.

This is a very rough estimate based on a few hundred self-selected samples.

A couple more factoids:

Vehicles were almost exclusively delivered during May and June.

Average order-to-delivery wait for a base configuration was 96 days. That wait for upgraded configurations was 87 days.

Yeah, in looking at the order spreadsheet I can't really say that I see much of a pattern in the west, so I think I'm going to stop pushing that theory. The east definitely favors the middle of the quarter because of the rail shipments batching the orders, but there are still deliveries in the east during the final month of the quarter. Perhaps those are all turned down vehicles.
Elon and team have been saying for a few quarters now that they are trying to move away from the EOQ pushes. Maybe the west coast is an example of this while the east coast will take a little more work as they have more logistical challenges.

*Yes, Elon did also mention this EOQ would be rough and there always seems to be a new excuse each quarter. BUT a man can hope haha

Just got the EDD pushed back to Aug 23-Sep 27. I had been in a 2-week EDD window for early July, and the SA even texted me this week about a trade-in, so I thought I those were good signs. I guess this new EDD is closer to my original, so I'm not too disappointed. Hopefully, it will happen in August before they shift the focus to west coast deliveries in Sept for end of Q3.

For those of you who are ordering Full Self Driving, let me offer an insight that just occurred to me. This may be old news for you.

When you go into the queue for FSD Beta, the car begins maintaining a Safety Score. It is important to understand that this is not a score to rate your driving. Don't take the Safety Score personally. Tesla doesn't care about your driving because FSD Beta is going to be driving the car. What they care about is the environment in which you're driving. If we assume that you're a good driver, then each time you have to brake hard, turn aggressively or any of the other activities that lowers the Safety Score, you're letting Tesla know that your driving environment is that demanding of your defensive driving skills. Tesla needs to know how demanding the environment is because FSD Beta isn't a superman. It's a piece of software that can only handle so much. The Safety Score lets Tesla know how much FSD will have to handle.

The lower the safety score that Tesla allows into the beta program, the more confident that Tesla is of their software. When it was at 100, they were saying that FSD Beta was very fragile and could only handle the least-demanding environments. As they drop the required score, they're indicating greater confidence in FSD Beta's abilities.

Why am I posting this? To let you know that if you're an awesome driver but you drive in a demanding environment, you're not going to be able to register a high Safety Score. Do you have cars abruptly racing to cross the road in front of you at uncontrolled intersections? Well, that's going to cost you on Forward Collision Warnings. Do you have to brake to stop at a light at the bottom of a hill? That qualifies as Hard Braking. Is there that one intersection near your home where people like to suddenly stick their front end out on the road, forcing you to swerve around them? Dinged on Aggressive Turning. Do people pull right in front of you on the highway? Well, now you're doing Unsafe Following.

It would be really nice if Tesla could produce a map of the country that shows the average Safety Score for each area. Then we'd know if it was at all practical to expect FSD Beta anytime soon. I'm going to opt out of the program for now and jump back in when the required score gets down around 90. Maybe then FSD will be capable of handling driving in my area.

I think the EDD system looks at rate of production and uses this to calculate EDD. So when the factory went into overdrive the system bumped up a lot of EDDs inadvertently. Then as the quarter ended production likely slowed down and the EDDs swung out the other way. Usually we see a slow down the first few weeks of the new quarter. Likely in the coming days as production restabilizes the EDDs will start to move again.

However fair warning to the people with OD of May, tesla hasn't even really started working on April orders. They still have some outstanding March orders as this group shows. If you're EDD is in May especially late May you very well may be looking at a q4 delivery just prepare for that.

I'm middle April east coast and for the most part my EDD has been telling me mid August since the start. I also have a "'rarer" configuration. White and MSM might have to wait even longer.

I think the EDD system looks at rate of production and uses this to calculate EDD. So when the factory went into overdrive the system bumped up a lot of EDDs inadvertently. Then as the quarter ended production likely slowed down and the EDDs swung out the other way. Usually we see a slow down the first few weeks of the new quarter. Likely in the coming days as production restabilizes the EDDs will start to move again.

However fair warning to the people with OD of May, tesla hasn't even really started working on April orders. They still have some outstanding March orders as this group shows. If you're EDD is in May especially late May you very well may be looking at a q4 delivery just prepare for that.

I'm middle April east coast and for the most part my EDD has been telling me mid August since the start. I also have a "'rarer" configuration. White and MSM might have to wait even longer.
Yeah I'm OD April 11th with probably an extremely common config now that MSM is free. My EDD has been August-Sept from the start as well, only moved once from dates I've forgotten. Just a small week shift.

Reactions: ZZ118