Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As expected after entering my EDD yesterday and receiving nothing I got an update this morning. At this point I’m just annoyed. I realize it’s just an estimate but I’m starting to side with the camp of don’t give a date. This is the second time I’ve entered the EDD and been pushed out. The new EDD slid back by 2 weeks and returned to a 4 week window. Went from June 30-July 14 to July 11-August 8. 😡

100 is good! This is your month I’m sure! I’m wondering about any ev incentives/ rebates etc specific to our area! I sure would like to find Some of that incentive stuff. Any one have any helpful info on that?
It's a bit frustrating for us Virginians.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodefull/title45.2/chapter17/article8/

A. Beginning January 1, 2022, a resident of the Commonwealth who purchases a new electric motor vehicle from a participating dealer shall be eligible for a rebate of $2,500. A qualified resident of the Commonwealth who purchases such vehicle shall also be eligible for an additional $2,000 enhanced rebate.

"Electric motor vehicle" means a two-axle motor vehicle with a base price of not more than $55,000 that uses electricity as its only source of motive power. "Electric motor vehicle" includes fuel cell electric vehicles.

"Base price" means the manufacturer's base price for the lowest price trim level of the model and shall not include charges for optional equipment, taxes, title, or registration fees.

The emphasis above is mine. I think a Tesla would qualify for the Virginia rebate, but it seems that Tesla is not a "participating dealer".

Here's Tesla's page on incentives

Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives

There's nothing about the cars themselves, just a lower electricity rate for charging overnight.

I just texted the Service Advisor line to see if they can explain why the rebate doesn't apply to Tesla vehicles.

Yes, that's a fair point. I am probably just being impatient!
I looked into the P and I live in NY. The SA straight up told me don't buy this car. At 40 degrees or lower the wheels will be ruined. He said new wheels run 2-4k a set but then you lose the acceleration. He also told me 20 inch wheels are terrible with pot holes. I've posted about this before. In a few months when you have the 3 you will be in the same spot as a P but without the hassell.

Many of us have the go to P get car faster thoughts during our waiting period lol. However if you are in a place that gets sub 40 degree temps it's a really bad idea. Also that means those tires must be stored above 40 degrees or they are ruined as well.

I realized that I haven't posted any pics of the Black Pearl recently. Here's some of her, now that she has her tint all done. I also added matte black wraps to the Tesla logos on the hood, trunk and steering wheel. Finally got my plate today as well. We call them the "Cloud Plate" here in Arizona. It's what lets me use the HOV lane anytime.
She also did her first software update today. I'm now on 2022.16.2
I would like to know if they tinted all the way up on the back glass to the ceiling bar or if they stopped above the defrost wires with your tint? I feel like I got ripped off because they stopped above the defrost wires and didnt go all the way to the bar.

It's a bit frustrating for us Virginians.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodefull/title45.2/chapter17/article8/

A. Beginning January 1, 2022, a resident of the Commonwealth who purchases a new electric motor vehicle from a participating dealer shall be eligible for a rebate of $2,500. A qualified resident of the Commonwealth who purchases such vehicle shall also be eligible for an additional $2,000 enhanced rebate.

"Electric motor vehicle" means a two-axle motor vehicle with a base price of not more than $55,000 that uses electricity as its only source of motive power. "Electric motor vehicle" includes fuel cell electric vehicles.

"Base price" means the manufacturer's base price for the lowest price trim level of the model and shall not include charges for optional equipment, taxes, title, or registration fees.

The emphasis above is mine. I think a Tesla would qualify for the Virginia rebate, but it seems that Tesla is not a "participating dealer".

Here's Tesla's page on incentives

Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives

There's nothing about the cars themselves, just a lower electricity rate for charging overnight.

I just texted the Service Advisor line to see if they can explain why the rebate doesn't apply to Tesla vehicles.
The Virginia EV rebate passed but was never funded. That is, no money was allocated by the legislature to pay for any of it, and no money will be allocated anytime soon. It's not a Tesla problem, it's a Virginia problem.

Here's an article on it:

The Virginia EV rebate passed but was never funded. That is, no money was allocated by the legislature to pay for any of it, and no money will be allocated anytime soon. It's not a Tesla problem, it's a Virginia problem.
Thanks. The SA pointed out another issue, which is that Tesla wasn't going to be permitted to be part of the program anyway. I didn't do a lawyer deep dive on the law until just now and realized that the text I highlighted in my post "from a participating dealer" indeed means "from a participating dealership". Tesla has no dealerships, so it has no business entity that qualifies under the program. A Ford dealer selling F-150 Lightnings could apply, but as you're reminding me, the program wasn't even funded.

I may be a heretic for saying this, but Virginia doesn't need an EV rebate program. I agree with The Virginia Mercury's quote of Representative Michael Webert.

“Why do we need to put $40 million a year into rebates if the market itself is traveling in the right direction?”
“The answer is we don’t.”

It's rubbish rhetorical technique, but he makes a valid point. At the same time, Virginia is 31st in renewable energy, but 13th in the country in GDP. There's a lot that we could be doing.

Thanks. The SA pointed out another issue, which is that Tesla wasn't going to be permitted to be part of the program anyway. I didn't do a lawyer deep dive on the law until just now and realized that the text I highlighted in my post "from a participating dealer" indeed means "from a participating dealership". Tesla has no dealerships, so it has no business entity that qualifies under the program. A Ford dealer selling F-150 Lightnings could apply, but as you're reminding me, the program wasn't even funded.

I may be a heretic for saying this, but Virginia doesn't need an EV rebate program. I agree with The Virginia Mercury's quote of Representative Michael Webert.

“Why do we need to put $40 million a year into rebates if the market itself is traveling in the right direction?”
“The answer is we don’t.”

It's rubbish rhetorical technique, but he makes a valid point. At the same time, Virginia is 31st in renewable energy, but 13th in the country in GDP. There's a lot that we could be doing.
I think Tesla could qualify as a "dealer" under the EV rebate because the DMV has previously made a public policy exception to the law against OEM's owning a dealership to license of the existing Tesla "dealerships." But it is all moot as there is no chance of funding anytime soon.

Yes, that's a fair point. I am probably just being impatient!
I live in NW Indiana, switched over to P, took delivery last week, and have zero regrets. I will be switching out the wheels and tires come winter, but I have been doing that with my previous cars anyways. Switching wheel sizes doesn't equate to slower acceleration times as stated previously either.

I live in NW Indiana, switched over to P, took delivery last week, and have zero regrets. I will be switching out the wheels and tires come winter, but I have been doing that with my previous cars anyways. Switching wheel sizes doesn't equate to slower acceleration times as stated previously either.
Thanks for the info. I don’t know if I want to add the extra step of having to keep two sets of rims/tires for the car so I may just have to gain some patience for the LR.

I love how people always say tires don't affect performance. They absolutely do that's why they put performance tires on a performance car. If you change to an all weather tire you will absolutely see a change in speed and performance. Any one can do whatever they want but if you are doing it just to get the car sooner that is not a good reason to do so especially in a cold climate.

I love how people always say tires don't affect performance. They absolutely do that's why they put performance tires on a performance car. If you change to an all weather tire you will absolutely see a change in speed and performance. Any one can do whatever they want but if you are doing it just to get the car sooner that is not a good reason to do so especially in a cold climate.
I never said anything about tires. Your post above mentioned changing wheels not tires. I was just clarifying to @disowned that wheel size won't necessarily negatively impact acceleration. To me, I don't plan on launching the vehicle in 30 degree weather anyways, so I don't mind having a winter setup.

Reactions: ZZ118 and disowned
Thanks for the info. I don’t know if I want to add the extra step of having to keep two sets of rims/tires for the car so I may just have to gain some patience for the LR.
I hear ya, my patience was lost after my last EDD change and also not knowing if I was going to get matrix headlights. My decision wasn't the practical thing to do, but neither was initially ordering my long range after a few drinks.

I never said anything about tires. Your post above mentioned changing wheels not tires. I was just clarifying to @disowned that wheel size won't necessarily negatively impact acceleration. To me, I don't plan on launching the vehicle in 30 degree weather anyways, so I don't mind having a winter setup.
Yes you are correct I mistakenly used wheels interchangeably with tires. I was saying the tires must be changed in winter and that will affect performance.

Reactions: disowned
Yes you are correct I mistakenly used wheels interchangeably with tires. I was saying the tires must be changed in winter and that will affect performance.
No biggie, I'm not here to be combative or get in pissing matches with fellow Tesla enthusiasts. I would have continued contributing to Subaru forums if I wanted to do that LOL. Long range is much more practical in this area, I just don't make many practical choices haha