Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hahaha I feel you on that, my wallet is hurting planning my PPF, tinting, and accessories.
Man I really feel you guys, the M3LR was right on the edge of my budget considering the overall savings and making my commute a little easier. I don't think I'm going to do PPF personally if I do I'll suffer through just the front myself shops around here charge so much to get it done. I am definitely getting my windows tinted although in NC on sedans you can only get 35% and I really want to do 20% but its my commuter car and I wanna be legal. Then toss in the cost of installing charging and floor mats, it really is a pretty penny upfront.

Reactions: IWRBR
Man I really feel you guys, the M3LR was right on the edge of my budget considering the overall savings and making my commute a little easier. I don't think I'm going to do PPF personally if I do I'll suffer through just the front myself shops around here charge so much to get it done. I am definitely getting my windows tinted although in NC on sedans you can only get 35% and I really want to do 20% but its my commuter car and I wanna be legal. Then toss in the cost of installing charging and floor mats, it really is a pretty penny upfront.
There's a place out here that has a full body bundle + tint for 6500... But I need to see if it is applicable to Tesla's. Also they offer 0 interest 12 mo financing which would help the pocket not cry

Reactions: Mythbredor
There's a place out here that has a full body bundle + tint for 6500... But I need to see if it is applicable to Tesla's. Also they offer 0 interest 12 mo financing which would help the pocket not cry
Well if you are going to spend $6500 on this then money must be no object, my congrats to you.
For the rest of us, try Meguilar’s Hybrid Wax Spray for $25. You wash and rinse your car, you spray it on while wet, no curing time, when you rinse off it spread it. It is a wax and silicone. I did not believe it when I read and saw videos, but I am now a believer and it works an oh yes, you save a ton of money. Give it a try before spending big bucks on the wraps.

I ordered a wall connector when I ordered my M3LR. I didn't order the mobile charing cord. I think I want to get one of those too.

If I go and change my order will it push back my delivery?

Thanks
I did the same thing! Wish I would have ordered the mobile too. Didn’t realize I couldn’t just go back in and order one because they are out of stock!! Now I’m waiting for notification of restocking!!

Wow, my M3LR is/will be a daily driver. Ceramic Tint is necessary (Texas heat) and not that expensive. A good sunroof cover for the intense summers too.

PPF - way over priced and hype IMO. $6k to me has minimal ROI, even being a OCD detail fanatic. All PPF gets old, stiff and looses its clarity. Once you get a lot of blemishes in the PPF, it needs to be removed and redone - more $$$. Also, you might be surprised one day if you only get a partial PPF and remove it, that the paint under that protective film is a different shade than the rest of the car.

I did a DIY on my current new suv, but even the materials were $400 for the front end. Came out great with a little patience, you tube videos and a heat gun. Personally PPF hides the depth of the paint and never had it on my other vehicles. A few rock chips are normal and easily fixed. If it gets a lot of chips, re-spraying the front bumper is inexpensive. Plus, you won’t get that back in the future when trading it in.

personally I’d rather spend $700 on high end wrap and DIY it, change the color to a unique one - while protecting the paint.

However, if you have the funds and want to do PPF and ceramic - more power to you.

Does anyone have any insight into the "estimated build date" SAs can tell you that dont show anywhere else? I was in the Tesla store the other day and asked the SA if she could give me any more insight into my delivery date and she looked in the system and it say the car was to be built on July 29th
I had my SA say my car was forecast to be built by the end of the month on Saturday the 2nd. I’m not sure how much weight I give to it. Not that I don’t trust them but I’ve seen a wide range of answers from other people on this forum and elsewhere that have me questioning how much they can actually see and if they are just looking at my EDD and saying “welp this is close to what he can see” haha

I ordered a wall connector when I ordered my M3LR. I didn't order the mobile charing cord. I think I want to get one of those too.

If I go and change my order will it push back my delivery?

Thanks
In my experience, if you have any plans of doing any traveling or vacationing in your Tesla when it arrives you absolutely need the mobile charger, with a nema 14-50 adapter and the 120v adapter as a back up.

For a real life example. Amish country in Ohio, there are no chargers to be found... however using the "PlugShare" app you can find local outlets that are in public parking lots and read peoples reviews and comments on how those plugs worked out. I was able to charge my car twice completely free on a 14-50 plug in a public parking lot that had plugs for food trucks.

So in my opinion, regardless of if it would push your edd back (which I doubt it would) everyone should add that to their order. I think in reality if they had your car ready to deliver but didn't have the mobile charger in stock yet they would just ship the charger to you later when it becomes available.

Wow, my M3LR is/will be a daily driver. Ceramic Tint is necessary (Texas heat) and not that expensive. A good sunroof cover for the intense summers too.

PPF - way over priced and hype IMO. $6k to me has minimal ROI, even being a OCD detail fanatic. All PPF gets old, stiff and looses its clarity. Once you get a lot of blemishes in the PPF, it needs to be removed and redone - more $$$. Also, you might be surprised one day if you only get a partial PPF and remove it, that the paint under that protective film is a different shade than the rest of the car.

I did a DIY on my current new suv, but even the materials were $400 for the front end. Came out great with a little patience, you tube videos and a heat gun. Personally PPF hides the depth of the paint and never had it on my other vehicles. A few rock chips are normal and easily fixed. If it gets a lot of chips, re-spraying the front bumper is inexpensive. Plus, you won’t get that back in the future when trading it in.

personally I’d rather spend $700 on high end wrap and DIY it, change the color to a unique one - while protecting the paint.

However, if you have the funds and want to do PPF and ceramic - more power to you.
I agree. I was back and forth with the PPF but then I saw some of the horror stories being posted on the P forum and that convinced me to not even bother. For thousands of dollars I feel like all I'm getting is a screen protector for my car just not worth the money. Even if done perfect its going to get old and dirty and need replacing. Also it's not magic , yes it will help against minor chips and scrapes but a major scrap like with a wall or another car is just going to rip it off and still damage the car. Tesla sells original color touch up paint if you need. And for that much money I can just have the whole car repainted in a few years if I really needed to

Any insight if adding or deleting fsd had any impact on your EDD?
Also when is the latest you can change that without it pushing back your delivery date? Can you add or delete after you have a vin assigned since it is a software thing?
I ordered EAP about 2 weeks ago. Was sitting on a 2 week EDD in July ( which was probably not accurate but still) and as soon as I ordered it my app refreshed and gave me the new 5 week EDD I have now in August. I know it was the purchase that caused the update because it was outside the normal update time window. I just don't know if I screwed up and lost an early EDD or if the 2 week one was just the system being needlessly optimistic.

Just to add if you have a VIN or are very close to having one I'd leave the car alone. You can add software after you take delivery

You can add software after you take delivery
And, depending on where you live, you'll be increasing the sticker price of the car, which will increase your annual property taxes - if they apply. Also, if you put the software purchase on your credit card, you'll get rewards for the purchase.

Unrelated, Tesla just published a series of YouTube videos about operating the Model S and X. Hopefully, we'll see "refreshed" videos for the Model 3 and Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZZ118
Yeah to get started is a lot of money up front. I am in the same boat as you I’m not doing the PPF either just tint and some accessories and I’m good.

Reactions: Mythbredor
Yeah to get started is a lot of money up front. I am in the same boat as you I’m not doing the PPF either just tint and some accessories and I’m good.
You got any quotes on tint out in cali? I'm curious what a good price is since this is my first time getting a car tinted, this place is quoting 500$ for just the doors not including the back/roof. I'm also torn on floor mats, the 3d maxpider or the tesla/weathertech mats.

You got any quotes on tint out in cali? I'm curious what a good price is since this is my first time getting a car tinted, this place is quoting 500$ for just the doors not including the back/roof. I'm also torn on floor mats, the 3d maxpider or the tesla/weathertech mats.
Get several quotes from local tint shops. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples in tint quality (ceramic). Total solar energy rejected (TSER) is the best comparison between different msg's in the tint world. All good tint rejects 99% UV rays, its the combine heat reduction properties that the TSER measures than means the most. xpel PRIME XR BLACK is very good and almost matched their top of the line PRIME PLUS for considerable less $$$.

There is a you tuber - i1tesla who uses sun stoppers in NC - they use xpel and from his videos do amazing work for a reasonable price.

Just got a VIN text but not showing in app yet. Checked website and it shows 3077xx. Waiting to hear back about headlights… 😬
EDD tightened from 7/8-7/22 to 7/9-7/16. No option to schedule delivery yet. Local SC still looks bare with no new cars on the lot.

Just saw the latest flyover video of Fremont factory from 7/6 and it looked like a ghost town.

I’m guessing production hasn’t resumed yet but the system has just allocated parts and assigned VINs for the first batch of cars to be made in preparation for when factory is running again. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Get several quotes from local tint shops. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples in tint quality (ceramic). Total solar energy rejected (TSER) is the best comparison between different msg's in the tint world. All good tint rejects 99% UV rays, its the combine heat reduction properties that the TSER measures than means the most. xpel PRIME XR BLACK is very good and almost matched their top of the line PRIME PLUS for considerable less $$$.

There is a you tuber - i1tesla who uses sun stoppers in NC - they use xpel and from his videos do amazing work for a reasonable price.
That's fantastic information thank you. I was pricing places that did xpel PRIME PLUS whatever their most expensive was. I'll 100% have to look at that cheaper option.

That's fantastic information thank you. I was pricing places that did xpel PRIME PLUS whatever their most expensive was. I'll 100% have to look at that cheaper option.
They all will sell you on the top of the line tint - when IMO the ceramic XR Plus Black is amazing tint and less $$$. The true "heat rejection of the tint" is several factors, which is combined and weighed in the TSER value (Total solar energy rejected). Shops will reference the IR rejection value - but that is only a portion of the tints heat rejection value. Thus, the TSER is the best comparison.

Here is the TSER difference between the two:

XR Plus Prime: 30% = TSER of 61%
XR Plus Black: 30% = TSER of 57%

XR Plus Prime: 20% = TSER of 66%
XR Plus Black: 20% = TSER of 61%

Windshield:
XR Plus Prime: 70% = TSER of 49%
XR Plus Black: 70% = TSER of 49%

**SPEC data taken right off the Xpel website.

Doing the windshield (makes a big difference) and getting sunroof shades ($40-$80), the ones with the double layer work best in the hot summer months - as that will reduce the heat from the glass roof. Regardless if you tint the sunroof - the glass will heat up (touch any glass and you'll feel the heat), and fill the cabin. Putting on a sun/glass roof shade in the hot months will keep you cool (similar to vehicles that come with sunroof shades) and less voltage to the AC system.

Last edited: