Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a 100% speculative guess, I wonder if Tesla is trying to catch up on SR orders right now? There has been a huge drought in SR VINs, but there have been a ton this quarter compared to the rest of the year. I have a hunch that the Shanghai lockdowns negatively impacted SR production since the batteries come from there. Everyone whining in this thread should go take a look at our SR friends, there are still people with August, Sept, Oct 2021 order dates who still do not have their car.
It's not about whining. I have no problem with waiting but the line needs to be showing movement. Right now the line is not moving but the factory is opened. That's where the concern is coming from.

Yeah I guess one day different is about month worth of cars lol 😆

I certainly hope not! It took us "roughly" 6 months to order my wife's Porsche from the factory. Changing SOME items can cause a delay but I believe they do things much differently in Germany. We had "certain" cut off dates for paint/performance upgrades/other options but once we those were gone...the vehicle just moved and we were SOL unless we could negotiate a different dealer allocation.

Tesla does things differently. Not better, not worse....just differently. Our biggest delay after several changes with her car was....WAIT FOR IT......SHIPPING and PORT DELAYS. Not the exact same thing as Tesla but in some ways similar.

I believe Tesla maximizes profits by some "logistics guru" that knows a bit or two about that. Not that I agree with it but after watching Tesla stuff for a long time, even prior to becoming a member here, it seems to follow patterns.

The other difference between our two cars is that you have a different color??? Excuse my ignorance but is SMG you paint? Mine is MSM...midnight silver metallic. I would assume you would get yours sooner just based upon the distance from Fremont to San Diego vice Fremont to Colorado.

I certainly hope not! It took us "roughly" 6 months to order my wife's Porsche from the factory. Changing SOME items can cause a delay but I believe they do things much differently in Germany. We had "certain" cut off dates for paint/performance upgrades/other options but once we those were gone...the vehicle just moved and we were SOL unless we could negotiate a different dealer allocation.

Tesla does things differently. Not better, not worse....just differently. Our biggest delay after several changes with her car was....WAIT FOR IT......SHIPPING and PORT DELAYS. Not the exact same thing as Tesla but in some ways similar.

I believe Tesla maximizes profits by some "logistics guru" that knows a bit or two about that. Not that I agree with it but after watching Tesla stuff for a long time, even prior to becoming a member here, it seems to follow patterns.

The other difference between our two cars is that you have a different color??? Excuse my ignorance but is SMG you paint? Mine is MSM...midnight silver metallic. I would assume you would get yours sooner just based upon the distance from Fremont to San Diego vice Fremont to Colorado.
Yeah I got the MSM as well with no additional upgrades. I also think that’s another reason why I keep getting pushed back because I went with the cheaper options and Tesla wants to get the more expensive upgrades out first.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Hello, just wanted to share an update for those hoping for a delivery date to be pushed up.

My OD is June 22 and I had an original est delivery date of 10/12-11/23. This morning I woke up and checked the app, as i do every morning, and was surprised to see an updated est delivery date of 9/15-10/20. Really hoping this doesn't change to much sooner since I will be out of the country for a while prior. Order details below for those interested

M3 LR, Black on Black, aero wheels.

Reactions: phaheem and ZZ118
Hello, just wanted to share an update for those hoping for a delivery date to be pushed up.

My OD is June 22 and I had an original est delivery date of 10/12-11/23. This morning I woke up and checked the app, as i do every morning, and was surprised to see an updated est delivery date of 9/15-10/20. Really hoping this doesn't change to much sooner since I will be out of the country for a while prior. Order details below for those interested

Good to hear yours moved up! I ordered 10 days before you and my new EDD is 9/14-10/19...Same vehicle except Blue instead of back.

You have 10 posts so you should be ok. The option should be in your profile
I checked the other post about adding signature I don't see it on Chrome windows 10 under any of my account settings.
or using the Android app see screenshot.

Added manually for this post:
OD 5/29/22 M3LR MSM, 18" Aero , White Interior, NO FSD, P/U Tampa EDD Sept-Dec 22, EDD#2 Sept 4th-Oct 16th EDD#3 Aug 22-Sept 26th 2022

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220718-115901.png
    Screenshot_20220718-115901.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: ZZ118
I checked the other post about adding signature I don't see it on Chrome windows 10 under any of my account settings.
or using the Android app see screenshot.

Added manually for this post:
OD 5/29/22 M3LR MSM, 18" Aero , White Interior, NO FSD, P/U Tampa EDD Sept-Dec 22, EDD#2 Sept 4th-Oct 16th EDD#3 Aug 22-Sept 26th 2022
Got almost the same EDD and I order two months before you

It's not about whining. I have no problem with waiting but the line needs to be showing movement. Right now the line is not moving but the factory is opened. That's where the concern is coming from.
VINs are being seen, but not by people who frequent this thread. Try this dashboard for VINs. The 16th was a good day for Long Range VINs.

Tesla M3 Survey Statistics - Google Drive

I wouldn't worry too much about your EDD this far out, it can definitely be subject to large fluctuations (or stay rock solid for months, with Tesla you never know).

Yeah I got the MSM as well with no additional upgrades. I also think that’s another reason why I keep getting pushed back because I went with the cheaper options and Tesla wants to get the more expensive upgrades out first.
It’s not that they are prioritizing the more expensive optioned vehicles, it’s that the queue line for the included paint, wheels, etc is much much much longer. Someone with white ext, black int, aero wheels, and no FSD is in a completely different waitlist than someone with red/white, sport wheels, and FSD. And those lines are vastly different in length.

It’s not that they are prioritizing the more expensive optioned vehicles, it’s that the queue line for the included paint, wheels, etc is much much much longer. Someone with white ext, black int, aero wheels, and no FSD is in a completely different waitlist than someone with red/white, sport wheels, and FSD. And those lines are vastly different in length.
According to the spreadsheet for wait times, they are prioritizing. Performance through SR. This makes sense, you pay more you have more money (generally) than lower-cost vehicles...people who have more money have more options to change their minds and I would bet the profit margins grow with price as well. Now inside of those queues, there are some variations. This is probably from variations in regional orders and preferences (they probably intentionally build up orders on the east coast at specific times to maximize rail head usage.

Reactions: Nfletcher

According to the spreadsheet for wait times, they are prioritizing. Performance through SR. This makes sense, you pay more you have more money (generally) than lower-cost vehicles...people who have more money have more options to change their minds and I would bet the profit margins grow with price as well. Now inside of those queues, there are some variations. This is probably from variations in regional orders and preferences (they probably intentionally build up orders on the east coast at specific times to maximize rail head usage.

Uhhhh I don't actually believe that on both cases.

It seemed like folks could put in an "upgrade" to get a better place in line but I "thought" that stopped.

Perhaps not. Most folks leave and do not put anything into the spreadsheet so I "think" it is more due to Tesla's logistics somehow.

Frustrating at best. Every person has a "custom order" whether it revolves around seat color, paint color, wheels.....at some point in time the vehicles ship. Will see again on this one.

Uhhhh I don't actually believe that on both cases.

It seemed like folks could put in an "upgrade" to get a better place in line but I "thought" that stopped.

Perhaps not. Most folks leave and do not put anything into the spreadsheet so I "think" it is more due to Tesla's logistics somehow.

Frustrating at best. Every person has a "custom order" whether it revolves around seat color, paint color, wheels.....at some point in time the vehicles ship. Will see again on this one.
Look at the web page and it's pretty clear how Tesla is working through orders. There are five queues: base SR, upgraded SR, base LR, upgraded LR and P. The longer the line, the longer it takes for a given order to get through. You'd expect less expensive cars to be ordered more frequently, so the line for those would be longer, and it would take longer to get those cars. But here's the twist; base SRs are now predicted to be delivered faster than base LRs. That's because the base SR line has gotten shorter. So it's not a matter of the price of the car, but about the length of the line. Of course, you'd always expect the lines for the cheapest cars to be the longest.

The reason for the base SR line getting short may be related to a corporate customer jamming up that line for a while, which increased the delay for those vehicles. People got used to steering clear of that line because it was taking so long. Over time, the corporate customer's order got filled but people continued to stay away from the base SR line. The line got shorter and shorter. Now that the line is sufficiently short, I assume people will start to notice that the least expensive trim is actually accessible again and start filling up that line. We'll return to a case of "the cheapest cars take the longest to get".

The whole thing is an exercise in queueing theory that aims to provide a sense of fairness to customers while also respecting Tesla's need for profits.

Last edited: