Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my present sitrep. Received my VIN on 7/16. Sent Tesla my down payment on 7/17. Called USAA and added my M3 to the policy and uploaded that info to Tesla. Today, 7/18, I received the text to schedule a delivery date. They gave me the standard 3 day range…7/28-7/30. I selected 7/29 at 1100, the earliest time available, plus it’s a Friday, so I took the day off from work to have a 3 day weekend!

I have a different take. I rather Tesla take their time to churn out these cars properly instead of rushing them out the door just to meet customer EDDs or quarterly targets. This is a classic example of quantity over quality. I'm not expecting them to take their time to build a car like Mercedes AMG but there should be better quality control at multiple stages of their manufacturing process. Safe to say quality is not Tesla's forte.

Reactions: phaheem
Hello, just wanted to share an update for those hoping for a delivery date to be pushed up.

My OD is June 22 and I had an original est delivery date of 10/12-11/23. This morning I woke up and checked the app, as i do every morning, and was surprised to see an updated est delivery date of 9/15-10/20. Really hoping this doesn't change to much sooner since I will be out of the country for a while prior. Order details below for those interested

M3 LR, Black on Black, aero wheels.
I ordered mine 05/19 with a week earlier EDD than yours.

Reactions: RobertsM3SR
We

My OD is 05/12 and my EDD is currently Aug 20 - Sept 24

LR Blue / White / Aero / No FSD
They're all over the map. Seems we should all be expecting push backs. My EDD is only about a week earlier than you (8/12-9/9) and I ordered 4/18.

Realistically expecting to take delivery somewhere in the final days of August or early September.

I'm not expecting them to take their time to build a car like Mercedes AMG but there should be better quality control at multiple stages of their manufacturing process. Safe to say quality is not Tesla's forte.
Quality is Tesla's forte. Especially in quality of basic engineering. Battery electronics, performance, handling, safety, aerodynamics, packaging... the list is quite long. Tesla does very well at a huge array of tasks. Their weakness has been in fit and finish. Not only of the hardware, but of the software, and the customer experience. Yes, you can order a car, but the waiting process can be pretty confusing. Yes, you can take delivery of your car, but that experience varies from site to site. Yes, you can get the car to configure many ways, but it might take a bit to find the option you want in the interface. So there are lots of points of fit and finish that Tesla has missed.

I've yammered about this before, but I think it bears repeating; Tesla has had to build an industry from scratch, and in the face of opposition and dismissal from a huge entrenched army of existing industry that it seeks to supplant. It's an absolutely amazing feat. In all that, Tesla's greatest weakness is that it doesn't have the fit and finish of a Mercedes. Do I want that fit and finish? Absolutely. I'm just not prepared to be publicly critical of Tesla for that just yet.

Your Cali too so all I can say is weird things happen in Cali in the last month of the quarter (September)
Tesla schedules delivery by distance. Furthest from factory is prioritized for shipment earlier in quarter. Cars delivered in the local area are usually late in the quarter with a lot of factory pickups. This distance strategy is not an absolute, some cars are delivered locally throughout the quarter. But it is a strategy to optimize number of cars delivered in a quarter. As an example, my X was scheduled for delivery 2 PM on last day of quarter at the factory. I expect my 3 to be something similar.

I got an update today, 2-week window finally, now I just need the vin and a car to show up. I will lock in my financing tomorrow (3rd party) ordered my Tesla Shields mats, figured out how to charge for free at work, and got some small items from Prime day. It is getting close, no idea what day this is but it's been a while. Excited and freaked out at the same time, the wife is anti-change so this has been an annoyance for her lol.
Mine was the same until I took her for a test drive. She fell in love with it. Fortunately the test vehicle was identical [wheels, interior and exterior colors] as what she'd like

Reactions: HeatherW22
I got an update today, 2-week window finally, now I just need the vin and a car to show up. I will lock in my financing tomorrow (3rd party) ordered my Tesla Shields mats, figured out how to charge for free at work, and got some small items from Prime day. It is getting close, no idea what day this is but it's been a while. Excited and freaked out at the same time, the wife is anti-change so this has been an annoyance for her lol.
I hope mines gets updated soon as well because we have the same OD and same car and my EDD got push back to aug19-sept 23

Convincing me that they are pushing east coast order over west coast orders first right now
That's been the pattern for the last two quarters at least; eastern orders being prioritized early because Tesla has to load up large rail shipments, and western orders being prioritized later because they can go out at any time on a car carrier.

Reactions: HeatherW22