Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gen 3 wall charger installed today. Encourage those looking to install one to shop around. Was quoted ~$1,900 & $2,500 (both quotes included wall charger) by 2 electric service companies listed on Tesla's website. Ended up purchasing it myself ($400) and then paying an electrician $450 including materials to put it in. Was a fairly long wire run from my box to the garage. The wiring for it (6/2 with a ground) was not easy to find (7 different hardware stores around me were completely sold out).

Not certain yet.......there are random things that happen based on what I have seen and actually delivery experience in May ( declined )

I "believe" that the 317 series , depending on order, should get the charger and the adapter. Other than that, I can't comment. I did tell the SA that we wont accept a vehicle w/o Matrix headlights.

Will see what happens......If you have seen something, let me know I believe that the 317xxx is out of Fremont and I haven't seen cars lately that do not have the Matrix headlights AKA Global
Thank you!! Yes the vin shows mine is from Fremont too. This is the only thing that I am 100% sure.🤣 I’ll let you know if I figure out something new. At this point, let’s hope the best🤞🤞

Gen 3 wall charger installed today. Encourage those looking to install one to shop around. Was quoted ~$1,900 & $2,500 (both quotes included wall charger) by 2 electric service companies listed on Tesla's website. Ended up purchasing it myself ($400) and then paying an electrician $450 including materials to put it in. Was a fairly long wire run from my box to the garage. The wiring for it (6/2 with a ground) was not easy to find (7 different hardware stores around me were completely sold out).

I just started grabbing quotes and they came back saying they need to do a load calculation due to load restraints which makes me nervous. I feel like it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg for this damn charger installation.

Lol possibly. Everyone's situation is gonna be different, but the wall connector will pull 48 amps and it should be on a 60 amp circuit per Tesla instructions. You either have 60 amps available in the current box or not. I don't know electric at all, but maybe this is why a load calculation is needed?

I think my job was made easy by the fact that i have a subpanel for my basement that had plenty of spare amps to put the 60 amp breaker in for the Tesla.

Reactions: HeatherW22
I just started grabbing quotes and they came back saying they need to do a load calculation due to load restraints which makes me nervous. I feel like it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg for this damn charger installation.
Make sure you get quotes from multiple electricians to verify that the load calculations that they're doing match up. There were plenty of people commenting that when an electrician hears the word "Tesla" their eyes light up with dollar signs. "Tesla? Oh, that's gonna require a lotta work to upgrade for the massive power load. A lotta work."

Make sure you get quotes from multiple electricians to verify that the load calculations that they're doing match up. There were plenty of people commenting that when an electrician hears the word "Tesla" their eyes light up with dollar signs. "Tesla? Oh, that's gonna require a lotta work to upgrade for the massive power load. A lotta work."
Yea they are all charging $100 to do the load calculation so that's gonna add up pretty quick. May just have to use the supercharger around the corner from my job for a bit.

Yep. When I had mine done, thats what i found. An electrician I found told me running a 220 line is cake for an electrician. I think I paid like $750 and that included a long conduit run in a trnech I dug myself. The guys on the Tesla website are very high.

Yep. When I had mine done, thats what i found. An electrician I found told me running a 220 line is cake for an electrician. I think I paid like $750 and that included a long conduit run in a trnech I dug myself. The guys on the Tesla website are very high.
It cost me $750 to run my line 19' in a particular way, and to make it look professional, I bought the wall connector separately. Sadly I did this before Duke Energy started a program to support installs, so I only get 26% back since it was with my solar install. If in NC and on Duke Energy look up "EV Charger Prep Credit" it can literally pay for all of this up to $1,117. That is a free wall connector and installation of a new 220 line with a breaker easily. Read the fine print, Duke Energy is a stickler, you will have to submit permits, reciepts etc, but worth the pain for free money!

Reactions: HeatherW22
Oh boy, I am at 47 days until EDD. I don't want my application to expire and incur another credit check but I also don't want rates to increase before I apply. Ugghh .
Yeah your in a tough spot. If you apply now it would take you 107 days when it expires so you may squeak by. Tbh the credit hit is really not that bad its like 2-3pts if any and it usually rebounds quickly. The Apr will be with you for years

Reactions: guerro
Today is the day! Picked up my M3LR in Springfield. Had to wait out a torrential downpour before getting to see it up close. But once the clouds parted, the process was super easy and I was on my way. Got Matrix headlights and it even included the mobile connector in the trunk although I ordered in May. Feel fortunate to have gotten the car so quickly after my order date and thankful for all the great info this forum has provided!

Yeah your in a tough spot. If you apply now it would take you 107 days when it expires so you may squeak by. Tbh the credit hit is really not that bad its like 2-3pts if any and it usually rebounds quickly. The Apr will be with you for years
I was thinking the same. I think I will just go ahead and apply now to hopefully hold a lower (relatively) rate.

Lol possibly. Everyone's situation is gonna be different, but the wall connector will pull 48 amps and it should be on a 60 amp circuit per Tesla instructions. You either have 60 amps available in the current box or not. I don't know electric at all, but maybe this is why a load calculation is needed?

I think my job was made easy by the fact that i have a subpanel for my basement that had plenty of spare amps to put the 60 amp breaker in for the Tesla.
60 Amps is required for wall connector to pass the max of 48 Amps to the car. But if it works out cheaper for you and you can live with a slightly longer charge time you can drop the circuit to 50 or 40 Amps which may be easier and cheaper to wire up. There are settings on the charger to limit the current draw so it can never exceed what your wiring can handle. And in practical terms, unless you have a really long commute, if you charge late at night into the morning with lower settings the car will still be filled up when you leave in the morning.

I believe it's 100 amp.
Now I see why they want to do the load calculation. A wall charger pulls up to 48 amps if you let it, and it requires a 60 amp breaker (you set things up to draw no more than 80% of a breaker's limit). That's half your amperage right there. You might want to consider putting in a 14-50 outlet and use the mobile connector with adapter to get 32 amps max. The middle ground is 40 amps max with the corded mobile connector on the 14-50 outlet. Besides, a 50 amp breaker is cheaper than 60 amp breaker.

If you want to do the calculation yourself, there are plenty of articles on it. Here's one that uses 100 amp service in their example.

How to Calculate Your Home's Electrical Load and What It Means for Your Power Needs