Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would be wasting your time cleaning your trade-in before turning it over. Spoke directly to Tesla rep about trade-ins during my test drive experience. All the cars, regardless of condition, get sent straight to auction to be sold as-is. Tesla doesn't care about condition whatsoever. As far as I know, there really is no inspection, unlike trading your car in at a traditional automaker where it is thoroughly inspected and driven. As long as it runs, you're good. Can't be towed in. It's no secret they really don't want your trade, hence the low ball offer. They simply make it available as a convenient option to ensure an easier transaction for the buyer. Even if you did clean it, the exterior and interior would just get very dirty again during the transport process, sitting around parked for awhile outside in a lot somewhere, and from people in and out moving it around.
I did a Tesla trade-in. They want to know the gross condition of the car - damage and mileage. The damage is documented by pictures. They can get the basic information from the VIN. They have people look over that information well before delivery to assign a lowball value to the car. Once that's all done and you accept their offer, that's it. You show up with the vehicle and the title at delivery and turn them over. The people at the delivery site don't care about the particulars of the transaction because their pay isn't dependent on anything other than a successful transaction. I'm sure that someone who misrepresents their vehicle is going to hear from Tesla's lawyers at some point, but otherwise the vehicle just gets resold.

All that said, I washed and cleaned my car before turning it over. It's just a decent thing to do.

I’m kinda annoyed to wake up and find my EDD went from 8/15-8/24 to 8/25-9/8. Larger window and pushed back. Still no VIN.
OD 5/10 white/white Colorado.
Given that's it's a two week window, you may want to reach out to your SA as they likely have more accurate info. When mine went to a two week window last week, checked with my SA and he told me I'd be getting a VIN 8/13 with a ready for pickup date of 8/26.

Given that's it's a two week window, you may want to reach out to your SA as they likely have more accurate info. When mine went to a two week window last week, checked with my SA and he told me I'd be getting a VIN 8/13 with a ready for pickup date of 8/26.
Did you have a specific SA that you were introduced to or was it just the generic phone number that texted with Welcome to the Family after your order?

Push back today 8/29 to 9/12 :/
ZZ, try reaching out to your SA. I messaged mine this morning to see what I could find out. Her response was" ...based on what we'
re able to see, a VIN will be communicated over the next few weeks, and the vehicle itself has as ETA to Cherry Hill of 8/29." Shout out to Rebecca as the few times I've contacted her, she promptly responded with a detailed message. Hope this helps!

ZZ, try reaching out to your SA. I messaged mine this morning to see what I could find out. Her response was" ...based on what we'
re able to see, a VIN will be communicated over the next few weeks, and the vehicle itself has as ETA to Cherry Hill of 8/29." Shout out to Rebecca as the few times I've contacted her, she promptly responded with a detailed message. Hope this helps!
Got the generic nothing for you to do text then when I asked if there was anymore info,silence lol. Honestly I was expecting a pushback since I know it takes 2.5 weeks for the car to come and I getting close to my window with no vin. We have similar EDD now and close location so maybe my car will be in the same shipment as yours ;)

I texted my SA asking if they had a date for my VIN with the last EDD and they just gave me a copied response from my service center saying it should be within the window and I should take delivery 10-14 days after.

Reactions: ZZ118
Got the generic nothing for you to do text then when I asked if there was anymore info,silence lol. Honestly I was expecting a pushback since I know it takes 2.5 weeks for the car to come and I getting close to my window with no vin. We have similar EDD now and close location so maybe my car will be in the same shipment as yours ;)
I’ve had the best luck when I call around 4:30pm. I finally figured out they are done with deliveries and have time to answer the phone!

• Informative
Reactions: ZZ118 and jpaychek
Did you have a specific SA that you were introduced to or was it just the generic phone number that texted with Welcome to the Family after your order?
I was thinking the same with your new EDD! We're almost to the finish line. 😁

Reactions: ZZ118