Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my overall speculative view of this situation with the LR.

Yes it has to do with the EV credit but not in the way you think. The EV credit already exists and Tesla doesn't qualify, and they still have very high demand. So Tesla is in no rush to reinvent the wheel so to speak since they already have excessive demand.

Instead, Tesla is locking the doors and circling the wagons. Historically tesla has honored price decreases for preorders while locking in prices against increases. Right now the wait list for a LR 3 is extending way into 2023 and tesla will be losing money on them should another increase happen since they are locked into a lower price. Elon has talked about this before with price increases being based on projections of future costs of materials.

The second and more "sinister" reason has to do with the EV credit but not how you think. Tesla is essentially forcing people who already preordered the LR prior to any decrease or rebate to take the car at that price point. You can't leave the line now and you can't get in. This prevents people from shopping around and/or hedging bets by preordering a RWD then switching to a LR etc.

This allows Tesla to use the backlog to their advantage. They can ride out their current orders well into 2023, assess how the credit is working for other automakers and how demand still is. All without changing a thing on their end and still collecting the LR payments at a higher price point. In addition, they have time to potentially retool the LR if they so desire to hit the rebate.

Now do I think tesla will retool the LR? Doubt it. Why fix what isn't broken. The EV credit already exists and Tesla is still outselling its competitors by a long mile. Tesla is well on track to be a top world automaker in the next few years. People say but complcency destroys companies, I agree but Tesla isn't complacent. Also this is not a netflix thing as another company can't just start buying up software rights. Tesla has built a giant infrastructure of batteries, production, materials, chargers. etc. That takes physical time to do and you can't just flip a switch and have that if you are another automaker. The headstart tesla has right now is massive and growing. They continue to innovate software and refine hardware. So no I don't think they are worried that not having a 7500 credit will undermine sales. It didn't for me and it didn't for anyone reading this who has or is taking delivery of a car this year. You could have bought BMW or Porsche or Leaf or Bolt and gotten the rebate. But you didn't and there is a reason why. Tesla knows this and they are capitalizing on that.

So for the tldr, at the end of the day I think this is just tesla trying to clear a backlog while also reassessing their options and protecting their current price point. Might some things change when the LR is put back online in a 2023, yes but I don't think its going to be as major as people are making it out to be.
Nailed it.

Reactions: Avidcyclist
VIN/Documents tip: Despite scheduled delivery of 8/23, I never got a VIN notification and it still doesn’t show in my account. BUT, I noticed on the Account page under “Documents” (bottom-ish right under the App Download badges), there is a new document titled “MVPA”. This is the purchase agreement which includes VIN, odometer, and vehicle status (new) which insurance will need.

And the VIN is indeed the same as that found via the source code trick.

Graduation day!!!

Well we took delivery this morning! We were literally the only ones there unlike in May when they had like 5 tables with folks getting vehicles...

Our SA wanted to head straight in for the paperwork drill but I insisted on looking inside as we didn’t want to have the hassles we had when declining the “rejected” vehicle. Once he was aware we got to look inside. It was a brief look and overall we were ok at the time so all in all we spent maybe 20 minutes doing paperwork and figuring out how to use certain functions.

When we got home we did notice several things that need to be fixed.
1. driver side roof trim between the a and b pillars is bulging and has a 3/4” gap between the trim and roof glass.
2. three small chips that are down to bare metal on the frunk closest to the windshield. These are right on the edge.
3. charge port and tail light are scratched. Looks as if someone took a dirty towel with grit in it and rubbed.

So far that’s it for what they need to fix.

Now, there were a few stains on the interior trim (also the same spot where the trim was bulging) and they came out with alcohol. There are also multiple holograms all over the car. Very Noticeable in the sun and under my LED lights in the garage. These I will take care of tomorrow as I am a bit of a detailing geek. I took my FLEX polisher and some polish and took out a few already on the bumper. So not that big of a deal for me but for other’s they may have to have Tesla take care of it.

We are very happy so far! Global headlights, Michelin tires, mobile charger, etc.....it had 5 miles at delivery for those that care.

Last edited:
Well we took delivery this morning! We were literally the only ones there unlike in May when they had like 5 tables with folks getting vehicles...

Our SA wanted to head straight in for the paperwork drill but I insisted on looking inside as we didn’t want to have the hassles we had when declining the “rejected” vehicle. Once he was aware we got to look inside. It was a brief look and overall we were ok at the time so all in all we spent maybe 20 minutes doing paperwork and figuring out how to use certain functions.

When we got home we did notice several things that need to be fixed.
1. driver side roof trim between the a and b pillars is bulging and has a 3/4” gap between the trim and roof glass.
2. three small chips that are down to bare metal on the frunk closest to the windshield. These are right on the edge.
3. charge port and tail light are scratched. Looks as if someone took a dirty towel with grit in it and rubbed.

So far that’s it for what they need to fix.

Now, there were a few stains on the interior trim (also the same spot where the trim was bulging) and they came out with alcohol. There are also multiple holograms all over the car. Very Noticeable in the sun and under my LED lights in the garage. These I will take care of tomorrow as I am a bit of a detailing geek. I took my FLEX polisher and some polish and took out a few already on the bumper. So not that big of a deal for me but for other’s they may have to have Tesla take care of it.

We are very happy so far! Global headlights, Michelin tires, mobile charger, etc.....it had 5 miles at delivery for those that care.
Are you ceramic coating it? I learned detailing just for the car. I’ll be doing two coats of Kamikaze Miyabi followed by one layer of Kamikaze ISM 3.0. Maintenance with Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz.