Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is exactly my dilemma about upgrading to the P. With the cost of acceleration boost, I’m only about $5k off the price of the M3P or just $3k more out of pocket at delivery…but I hate the 20” uberturbine wheels and I do not want the cost of replacing 20” tires or the ride quality of 20” tires or the fragility of the wheels. Also seems like downsizing with OEM 19” Sport wheels from Tesla is not possible for the M3P, and I do not want aftermarket wheels.
Yeah I'm gonna do some research. I'm ok with after market wheels if they are good quality but I need to see what other people are doing. I just wish tesla would give me a straight answer as to what's going on with my car. The problem is is that this is my 4th 2 week. Everytime I get 5 days away from the edd it jumps out 2 more weeks. I'm not trying to be a pushy customer but I think I deserve some answers since clearly something is up with my order. There's not a lot of black on black to compare to here either so idk if it's my color or the EAP or both. If it's the EAP I'd d/c it but no one is giving me a good answer.

I would never accept home delivery. I would insist on a pickup. Too risky due to Tesla QA control, especially during end of qtr rush. I dont want to waste my time chasing down QC problems post delivery
I'm going to try. Tesla is finicky, I feel if I refuse to take delivery they'll straight up cancel it and assign my vin to someone else. I feel like I should be able to pick up though, I don't see how they store the vehicle in the first place unless it's going straight from factory to deliver to me.

That’s exactly the reason why I’m not getting the P. Those 20” wheels are just bad. Less range, easier to get damaged, and tires cost well over $1600. Big nope..
I hear way too many horror stories here on TMC and Reddit from M3P owners whose uberturbines get damaged so quickly/easily, or where their rubberband tires can’t handle american roads. Godammit Tesla, just give us the option to order the M3P without the uberturbines…I bet they’d sell so many more M3Ps!
I would never accept home delivery. I would insist on a pickup. Too risky due to Tesla QA control, especially during end of qtr rush. I dont want to waste my time chasing down QC problems post delivery
Don’t forget how well it was driven from the service center to your home - I don’t know about EVs, but I know that new ICE cars have a break in period that should be respected if you want your car to age well.
The problem is is that this is my 4th 2 week. Everytime I get 5 days away from the edd it jumps out 2 more weeks. I'm not trying to be a pushy customer but I think I deserve some answers since clearly something is up with my order.
Nope, your situation absolutely deserves an explanation or straight answer. Don’t feel guilty for demanding/expecting fair treatment for something you’re paying tens of thousands for.

Nope just it'll be there when it's there 🤡

I'm between canceling the EAP and/or ordering a P with the from the EAP.

My current car needs an inspection in October can't believe I may actually need to get that now??
I've been debating whether I should add EAP. Regardless of delivery timeline, I've been very back and forth on the features. I really see it as a way to pay for a stop gap on some slightly useful features without dealing with the full cost of FSD if I ever want to do a full upgrade.

I hear way too many horror stories here on TMC and Reddit from M3P owners whose uberturbines get damaged so quickly/easily, or where their rubberband tires can’t handle american roads. Godammit Tesla, just give us the option to order the M3P without the uberturbines…I bet they’d sell so many more M3Ps!
In a heartbeat I'd buy if this was possible. Was originally looking at P and my SA steered me away for exactly this reason. Said only insane people buy this car in NY because the wheels get destroyed here and can't handle the winter

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking and learning here and on the M3P forum since we ordered on July 2nd, and wanted to share our experience in case it can be helpful.
We were in a situation where we needed a car in September, so we decided to order a white/black M3P with ETA of ~September instead of ~December for the M3LR. We placed the order at our service center, and let the SA know that our preference was for the LR and if ANYTHING came up in pretty much any LR color / wheel combination we’d be happy to switch and jump on it.
After spending a month occasionally emailing our SA and stopping in to the SC to stay on everyone’s radar, we had pretty much “resigned” ourselves (!) to getting an M3P and started planning to switch to 18” wheels, etc….
At the beginning of August, out of the blue, we got a call saying a white/black LR was arriving in 5 days and the purchaser had canceled their order.
July 28th build date, everything seemed legitimate, so I showed up on August 14th with all the delivery horror stories in the back of my mind. Fortunately, the car was perfect except for a small scratch on the driver’s seat that the SA pointed out before I even found it. He scheduled an appointment to have it fixed, and we’ve been enjoying driving it ever since - so far it’s been pretty amazing.
We got extremely lucky obviously and had an amazing SA, and wish everyone waiting speedy deliveries and as so many have said before, it’s worth the wait.

I've been debating whether I should add EAP. Regardless of delivery timeline, I've been very back and forth on the features. I really see it as a way to pay for a stop gap on some slightly useful features without dealing with the full cost of FSD if I ever want to do a full upgrade.
Aside from my delivery issues which may or may not be related to EAP I don't have regrets. I've heard navigate on autopilot with lane change is a game changer. Right now on standard autopilot everytime you change lanes it disengages which is very annoying. The other stuff is cool if it works. 6k is a little pricey but financed out it was like an extra 75$/ month which isn't too bad imo

Reactions: Zane Liu
I don't see how they store the vehicle in the first place unless it's going straight from factory to deliver to me.
They store vehicles in parking lots. At the factory, at the rail yard, at the ship yard, at the delivery site.

Come to think of it, a number of people have driven the car before we get behind the wheel. Each time the car has to be moved, somebody has to drive it.
Don’t forget how well it was driven from the service center to your home - I don’t know about EVs, but I know that new ICE cars have a break in period that should be respected if you want your car to age well.
No need to worry about a battery electric vehicle on that score. Of course, nickel chemistry batteries have their own quirks, such as AC vs DC charging, charging to 100%, discharging to 0% and so on. For anyone wanting very few concerns, just get a BEV with LFP batteries. Those things are amazing.
I've heard navigate on autopilot with lane change is a game changer.
I literally feel guilty when I use that thing. I'm not driving the car anymore, but everyone else around me still has to. And I'm signed up for FSD Beta. If I ever see that, I'm going to have to tint my windows out of shame.

Reactions: ZZ118 and phaheem
Was originally looking at P and my SA steered me away for exactly this reason. Said only insane people buy this car in NY because the wheels get destroyed here and can't handle the winter
At least two SAs at my local Tesla service center, where I ordered my M3LR, intentionally talked me out of ordering or upgrading my order to the M3P - both explaining that the faster 0-60, uberturbines, and lip spoiler are not worth the added cost especially when buying the acceleration boost on the M3LR. They both explained that the M3LR is the ”best value” in the Model 3 lineup.

It’s saying something when Tesla’s own employees steer customers away from the M3P…but also shows how the car buying experience can be “honest” when the salespeople are not incentivized to sell you the most expensive thing they offer.

At least two SAs at my local Tesla service center, where I ordered my M3LR, intentionally talked me out of ordering or upgrading my order to the M3P - both explaining that the faster 0-60, uberturbines, and lip spoiler are not worth the added cost especially when buying the acceleration boost on the M3LR. They both explained that the M3LR is the ”best value” in the Model 3 lineup.

It’s saying something when Tesla’s own employees steer customers away from the M3P…but also shows how the car buying experience can be “honest” when the salespeople are not incentivized to sell you the most expensive thing they offer.
Similar experience with our SA, we had no idea about the uberturbine issues until he brought it up. Totally different buying experience!

Reactions: ZZ118
Similar experience with our SA, we had no idea about the uberturbine issues until he brought it up. Totally different buying experience!
Yeah was exactly the reason I said I'd buy from Tesla. Made me trust them. I still think they do a great job. Just wish I could get a little more info out of them sometimes but at the end of the day it seems like the SAs usually try to do an honest job

The P really seems to be for a certain type of person ;) whenever I pop in the P forum I can tell how they are lol.

• Funny
Reactions: phaheem
Yeah I'm gonna do some research. I'm ok with after market wheels if they are good quality but I need to see what other people are doing. I just wish tesla would give me a straight answer as to what's going on with my car. The problem is is that this is my 4th 2 week. Everytime I get 5 days away from the edd it jumps out 2 more weeks. I'm not trying to be a pushy customer but I think I deserve some answers since clearly something is up with my order. There's not a lot of black on black to compare to here either so idk if it's my color or the EAP or both. If it's the EAP I'd d/c it but no one is giving me a good answer.
Your black on black order has me stressed out. I'm now in my second Nov2022-Feb2023 EDD window.

Reactions: ZZ118
Same here. My nervousness is from worrying (perhaps needlessly) that when I see the car in a short 24 hours I will find that the quality is bad forcing me to reject vehicle. So, nervousness, fear, and anxiety are really dominating my day today.

Hoping it all turns out well for both you and me!
Same. But we are going to be fine. Putting positive thoughts and vibes out there so the universe can return the favor!!!👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Ugh, why are they trying to force home delivery? I literally live in the worst location for that just let me pick it up.

Do I just call the SA number that I send messages to to switch to pick up?
I called the 650 area code number and asked if I wanted to change to pick could I? They told me yea and would make the appropriate changes. But the tesla dealer for pick up for me is in a terrible area for after 4p on a Friday pick up in LA traffic! I declined and just decided to keep it to home delivery. But you can call and ask them to change it.

I was thinking the same until my SA told me that home delivery comes with a person who will stay and answer questions and document any issues with the car upon delivery. SA said that pickup at a service center was hands off and nobody from Tesla would be available to help me if I had questions.

YMMV

Good luck!