Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently totaled my Model 3 LR and ordered SR on 8/12. My insurance is Progressive and I just got quotes for adding either LR or SR. To my surprise SR quote was $17 more than the LR one. I wonder if it's because LR is AWD and is perceived as a safer one. LR is still over $10K more expensive than SR

Reactions: guerro
To those who financed your auto loan through your own bank/credit union not through Tesla:
  1. Did you keep your Tesla order as “paying in cash in full”?
  2. If so, did you then just bring a check issued by your bank for the full purchase price of the car (including taxes/fees) to the dealer on delivery day?
  3. Any issues/tips for this process?
1. I kept as paying cash until I had a scheduled pick up date and then changed to financing 3rd party through the app.
2. My credit union sent money to tesla via the instructions that tesla gives in the 3rd party financing notes/document addressed to the lender.
3. All financing was settled before I even showed up to pick up my car and it was totally taken care of between my CU and the tesla bank, I had 0 involvement. I walked in signed a paper, accepted delivery and drove away in under 10 minutes.

Thanks for the info! So you financed your car through your own bank and just switched to “3rd party financing” in the app, submitted the bank’s info, then Tesla took care of the rest? Or did you have to facilitate any funds transfers? Did you bring a check with you on delivery day?
I think this depends on the bank. I think some banks mail the check directly to Tesla. In my case, my bank (Navy Federal CU), overnighted the check to me. I signed it and sent Tesla a picture of the check. On the day of pickup they took the check, verified that the amount matched what I said I was financing and that was it. The only funds I had to facilitate ahead of time was the down payment because I chose to do an ACH. Once you change it on the app to 3rd party they ask you for the bank info as well as the down payment you are going to be paying. I think you can also take a check for the final downpayment with you but I am not sure. I rather pay it ahead of time since I was sure I was not backing out of this car.

I'm in Columbus (7/17 OD) and would have chosen white, but my wife didn't like white so I went with MSM. I'm now regretting that choice. :)

My 2018 Model 3 was black, and I like the black with the black trim of the newer models, but I didn't like it for $1000.
This is my first Tesla, been driving my uncle's white/white 2018 M3LR every time I visit him in Pittsburgh though and love the car and the spec. I'm sure yours will come soon just seems like they made a buttload of white this month. Don't worry, MSM will have its turn soon 👍

Protip though get a CCS1 adapter for the new car. Should be around $300 and we have tons of evgo/EA 350kW chargers in Columbus

Protip though get a CCS1 adapter for the new car. Should be around $300 and we have tons of evgo/EA 350kW chargers in Columbus
Good to know - I just looked on plugshare and there are quite a few. I assume CCS will become the standard for road trips at some point as well. You have Tesla installing superchargers and Ford/BMW/VW/Kia/etc. behind CCS.

1. I kept as paying cash until I had a scheduled pick up date and then changed to financing 3rd party through the app.
2. My credit union sent money to tesla via the instructions that tesla gives in the 3rd party financing notes/document addressed to the lender.
3. All financing was settled before I even showed up to pick up my car and it was totally taken care of between my CU and the tesla bank, I had 0 involvement. I walked in signed a paper, accepted delivery and drove away in under 10 minutes.
Wow that's pretty seamless. Didn't realize that the Tesla app has a 3rd party financing option. Wondering if I should just keep it as cash payment (even though I'm financing through my credit union) because my credit union is going to cut me a check for the full purchase price of the Tesla. I wonder if that keeps things easier.
I think this depends on the bank. I think some banks mail the check directly to Tesla. In my case, my bank (Navy Federal CU), overnighted the check to me. I signed it and sent Tesla a picture of the check. On the day of pickup they took the check, verified that the amount matched what I said I was financing and that was it. The only funds I had to facilitate ahead of time was the down payment because I chose to do an ACH. Once you change it on the app to 3rd party they ask you for the bank info as well as the down payment you are going to be paying. I think you can also take a check for the final downpayment with you but I am not sure. I rather pay it ahead of time since I was sure I was not backing out of this car.
Yeah my credit union instructed me to come into the bank and pick up a check for the full amount of the purchase price, as soon as Tesla provides me a Purchase Agreement. I can then walk into Tesla on delivery day and hand them that check. As for the down payment, my credit union said I can pay that directly to the credit union at any time.