Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, so that means If I decided to opt into FSD once I receive the car, I won’t even have most of the features until further notice?
FSD in its current form isn't worth the price, ultrasonics or not. Wait until FSD Beta goes live. That should give not only navigation everywhere but also vision implementations of the other stuff. I have FSD Beta, and I have yet to use any of the gimmicks like Autopark or Smart Summon despite them supposedly being better than the ultrasonic versions.

Reactions: ZZ118
FSD in its current form isn't worth the price, ultrasonics or not. Wait until FSD Beta goes live. That should give not only navigation everywhere but also vision implementations of the other stuff. I have FSD Beta, and I have yet to use any of the gimmicks like Autopark or Smart Summon despite them supposedly being better than the ultrasonic versions.
I'm agree fsd is not worth 15k. I have the subscription. However I use autopark, summon and smart summon everyday. It works great for me. Not worth 15k and sure I could get by without it but it definitely makes parking so much easier

M3LR 20,400 miles later
Vin: 247xxx
Built: 5/22

Most of you have likely done hours of research about your car but I would like to share some points that I may have had questions about and I'd love to answer some of your questions if you have any.

Overall: I was just as hype as all of you are in this thread, but now it is 100% just another car. Everything is normal now, the regen braking the electric, the whole nine yards... everything that you tell your friends about the car is now just normal and there is no other way to describe my feelings about my car now besides, its just a car and it gets me from point a to b and back to a every single day.

Battery: I drive 130 miles for work m-f and charge to 88% everyday (I was charging to 90 but i would wake up and have 91 or 92 percent and I dont want to go over 90 because i want the battery to last as long as possible). I get home from work with about 45%-50% depending on how im driving and if im running alot of hvac.

Dependability: As long as you dont forget to plug it in, this is the most reliable car i've ever experienced. Even then, there are 2 supercharges I pass every day on the way to work so WHEN (not if) i forget to plug it in i can always stop and add 20-30% for a few bucks to get me through the day.

Electric bill: I have the tesla wall connector, charging an average of 35-40 kWh per day and my bill increased monthly by about $100 or so. Im not sure how other states are but if you are in Ohio check your bill and make sure you are not buying your electric from a crappy third party provider like nopec or something. NOPEC was charging me $0.12 p/kW. I called and found out you can shop around for electric providers at applestoapples.gov and i found my service provider (firstenergy) was actually the cheapest $0.05 p/kW, buying direct from my main service provider rather than third party. Unfortunately even though i have a smart meter i am not able to do off-peak/peak rates so its the same all day long no matter what. But if you can do that and schedule your car to start charging during off-peak hours you can save even more money. I did a home electric cost analysis on my ALL electric home and found my car was using 58% of the homes electric usage.

Tires: I rotated my tires at 10k miles and I will be rotating them again this weekend, so basically every 10k miles rather than the 7,500 or whatever tesla recommends. My tread still is in very good shape (Michelins). I have a friend who has had his model y for nearly 2 years and only has 20,000 miles on it and has went through 2 sets of tires already, tires were completely bald. So i had a major fear of having to buy tires every 3 months but thats obviously not going to be my situation. I do drive 80% of my miles on the interstate at a constant speed, my friend drives alot around the city so that could be the difference. I am guessing i will get 50,000-60,000 miles out of the tires at this rate.

Brakes: My brake pads and rotors look like they are still new out of the box, no grooves no marks no wear on the pads. It blows my mind, this fact is one of my favorite things about the car. You simply just dont use brakes unless you drive aggressive or have your car set up to not use regen braking.

Speed: WELLLLLLL...... Back to the overall statement, i dont think my car is fast anymore because ive gotten so used to it. Then i jump in the wifes equinox and think the vehicle is broken because i can't get to 40 mph at the tap of my foot lol.... I do NOT have acceleration boost right now. I have raced a challanger scat pack, hellcat and even a moded out drag strip GTO that had a 11.40 written on his windshield, from a roll 50-70mph my car beat all three of those cars (i will say it was barely and they were all just as fast as my car, their acceleration delay is what allowed the tesla to win). I have yet to come across a car on the streets that can beat the car off the line EXCEPT a model s plaid.... and wow that model s plaid was at 100mph before i was even at 40mph then from a roll that s plaid was gone before i even blinked, it was crazy! Unfortunately I have ACCIDENTLY went 140mph in this car before, it happens so fast and feels so smooth that you dont realize it, i was just trying to pass a car on the interstate and all the sudden im at 140... You HAVE to be careful and alert of your speed, before you know it you could be in jail for reckless op... Thats why i no longer race or run fast in my car...
*(also you can always tell a new tesla owner from a veteran tesla owner because mostly just the new guys are speeding and accelerating quick)* Save it for the track.

Travel: Travel is a breeze and stopping to charge is a welcome sight, i love stopping at the sheetz locations. It feels like a little private club almost. The only thing you need to watch out for is your car will tell to charge enough to get to your destination, well what if you want to drive around when you get there... just be aware of that, and plan ahead for charging locations at or near your destination. I have used an app called plug share which will allow you to find places that are not only EV chargers for all brands but even outlets that you can use. For example when in amish country in ohio (Berlin, OH) i used plug share to find out that there is a parking lot with about 6 240v nema 14-50 outlets which they use for food trucks, it was totally free, i pulled up got my mobile charger and nema 14-50 adapter out, plugged it in and walked around the little town for a few hours (which we were doing anyways).

Accident avoidance: Embarrassed to say it but, my car has avoided 2 wrecks that would have been my fault. Not in autopilot looking down at something and traffic is stopped unexpectedly my car braked hard and swerved over to avoid the collision. Thankful for this system.

Navigation: Ive said it a hundred times i hate tesla navigation. I dont trust it to avoid traffic, i dont trust it to take me on a quicker route, it has failed me so many times. However i keep using it because its very nice to have on your screen and allow you to see your battery % upon arrival.

Phantom Braking: It happens... A lot.... When you are in autopilot it will brake and sometimes brakes hard... ive narrowed it down to when its dark or low visibility, when the lines on the road are not fully painted (i.e. construction has a lane closed and ripped up the pavement in the lane next to you but took off half of the painted line). Yet there are still times i yell at my car in frustration like, what in the world did you see that made you brake so hard!! ... it is what it is.

Battery: I drive 130 miles for work m-f and charge to 88% everyday (I was charging to 90 but i would wake up and have 91 or 92 percent and I dont want to go over 90 because i want the battery to last as long as possible). I get home from work with about 45%-50% depending on how im driving and if im running alot of hvac.
Interesting. I set my limit to 70% (I don't drive much) and it regularly undershoots and leaves me at 69% even if I leave the car plugged in.

I was wondering how you put 10,000 miles on your car so quickly, but 130 miles a day will do it.
Accident avoidance: Embarrassed to say it but, my car has avoided 2 wrecks that would have been my fault. Not in autopilot looking down at something and traffic is stopped unexpectedly my car braked hard and swerved over to avoid the collision. Thankful for this system.
What were you looking at? I find it difficult to ignore the screen because there's lots of interesting information there. I glance down to check my speed and I'll get distracted by the map, or be inspired to check my power use, or want to know if the visualization spotted something, etc. It's something that all new Tesla drivers should keep in mind - just because the car is new and innovative doesn't mean that you should abandon proper and safe driving practices.
Navigation: Ive said it a hundred times i hate tesla navigation. I dont trust it to avoid traffic, i dont trust it to take me on a quicker route, it has failed me so many times. However i keep using it because its very nice to have on your screen and allow you to see your battery % upon arrival.
The next version of the software (2022.36.2) is being rolled out now and is supposed to have multiple route suggestions, and that may help. I know that I'd love to be able to grab the route shown and drag it onto a road that I'd prefer to take. Well, all things in time.

Note that the 36.2 update has a bunch of interesting stuff to it.
Phantom Braking: It happens... A lot.... When you are in autopilot it will brake and sometimes brakes hard... ive narrowed it down to when its dark or low visibility, when the lines on the road are not fully painted (i.e. construction has a lane closed and ripped up the pavement in the lane next to you but took off half of the painted line). Yet there are still times i yell at my car in frustration like, what in the world did you see that made you brake so hard!! ... it is what it is.
Yeah, phantom braking is scary stuff. Fortunately, I think most people just drive the same route and quickly learn where the car's software gets weird. I had a spot that would trigger the car, and I got used to turning off the Autopilot when approaching that point if there was a car behind me. That spot would trigger braking in broad daylight, but involved a concrete median with a hazard sign. Something about it used to wig out the software.

I thought Tesla was updating Autopilot with components from the FSD Beta software. But perhaps that's just for people who are on the Beta.

Update/data point:

Well, as of Sunday my VIN was removed. I called but was unable to get a real reason as to what happened. SA added "you're prioritized for your configuration" (yeah, sure...), but this morning EDD moved to "December 2022".

I've just resigned to the fact that I'm probably not getting the car any time soon. I hope at least they are able to deliver by mid November because that's when I'd have to reapply for financing (silly me thinking that it was safe to apply for financing once the VIN was assigned).

Worst part about this was that, despite my better judgement, I paid the down payment. I guess I superstitiously thought it would curry favor with the delivery gods, even though I saw other posts where the same has happened to other people. I'm a bit annoyed that they'd take my money immediately then take away my assigned car. (Lesson for others: don't pay until you can touch the car).

I just hope I don't have to wait until the end of the quarter AGAIN for delivery. I know wait times were bad when I ordered, but wasn't expecting to wait 6-9 months for what was originally quoted as 3-4 months. (EDIT: one of several reasons I went with a 3 instead of a Y was that the Y wait time was 6-9 months. That backfired!)

Well, as of Sunday my VIN was removed.
That's absurd, and the typical lorem ipsum reaction from their support people just makes it that much worse. Tesla seems intent on destroying every bit of good will that anyone has towards the company. At some point they're going to have to realize that they're no longer a group of 4 guys tinkering in a garage and that their customers are no longer a bunch of nerdy zealots of electrification.

Update/data point:

I just hope I don't have to wait until the end of the quarter AGAIN for delivery. I know wait times were bad when I ordered, but wasn't expecting to wait 6-9 months for what was originally quoted as 3-4 months. (EDIT: one of several reasons I went with a 3 instead of a Y was that the Y wait time was 6-9 months. That backfired!)

There are 2 new LRAWD avail in CA that matches your LRAWD/Blue/Black/18". Model 3.
Outside of CA, there are 18 more as of 4.31pm est

There are 2 new LRAWD avail in CA that matches your LRAWD/Blue/Black/18". Model 3.
Cars that are "in production" on the individual vehicle page are listed as "Expected to be built and available for delivery in Nov-Dec." on the inventory list page. They're just creating a new way to order a car that allows them to shut down orders at any time because they'll be "out of inventory" when they've gotten enough orders.

Today I also moved from Oct 27 -Nov 24 to EDD Dec 2022
I saw (on the RWD waiting thread) that RWD delivery's have a button to say you accept the car will not have the parking sensors.
I guess Tesla are waiting for the details of next years tax credit before announcing the 2023 line of model 3 cars with a new price.
Possibly Tesla will remove something to get under the 55k limit (range, autopilot, acceleration boost?) and then let you add it on later as an over the air update. Releasing new AWD M3's as "inventory" not yet built was clever.
p.s. please put your order details in your account signature so it appears at the bottom of your posts to help us understand your order timeline

I don't get Tesla. I needed a mobile charger and they are out of stock on the website. My SC has one but the bag they sell has the cable and a J1772, no plugs :( You can buy plugs a la carte :rolleyes:. $20 for a 110 volt and $50 for a 14-50. Why they include a J1772 when one is provided with the car is beyond me?????