Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats that you got the new 2023 AWD, hope the minor issues can be resolved. As you have a “new” production car I wonder if the cameras you have are the new upgrade, and if the screen showing the hardware (Ryzen etc ) show that you have HW4. Supposedly the suspension is updated too. There were rumours of a change to the indicator stalks too. My White AWD delivery to Utah is still stuck on EDD Dec 2022.
Hello,
Funny thing is that I asked almost everyone at delivery yesterday if my car had HW4, and no one could provide an answer. The service advisor stated: “you have the newest built / configuration so it is safe to assume you have the newest hardware”. 🤣
I don’t see anything in my my car info that states HW4.

Question: how do I know which high voltage battery I have? It seems (need to double check again), battery settings show "Daily" and "Trip" headings.

Hello,
Funny thing is that I asked almost everyone at delivery yesterday if my car had HW4, and no one could provide an answer. The service advisor stated: “you have the newest built / configuration so it is safe to assume you have the newest hardware”. 🤣
I don’t see anything in my my car info that states HW4.

Question: how do I know which high voltage battery I have? It seems (need to double check again), battery settings show "Daily" and "Trip" headings.
I think only RWD have the iron phosphate charge to 100pc daily battery.
Your battery should be identical to M3 Performance, but only the motors are different, although this may have changed. There is an ‘about’ screen (under software heading I think) which shows if you have the Ryzen or Atom chip, the type of lithium battery, CCS enabled, etc and I am thinking this is where we will see if there is additional new hardware. Cannot remember where in the menu exactly as I sold my previous 2019 AWD M3 in July. . As you got one of the first 23 AWD off the line you have the scoop on this. Would love to see a photo of that screen information!

Reactions: Terminator966
I think only RWD have the iron phosphate charge to 100pc daily battery.
Your battery should be identical to M3 Performance, but only the motors are different, although this may have changed. There is an ‘about’ screen (under software heading I think) which shows if you have the Ryzen or Atom chip, the type of lithium battery, CCS enabled, etc and I am thinking this is where we will see if there is additional new hardware. Cannot remember where in the menu exactly as I sold my previous 2019 AWD M3 in July. . As you got one of the first 23 AWD off the line you have the scoop on this. Would love to see a photo of that screen information!
Here you go.

Attachments

• 156D291B-7003-4A1E-B9E0-131695F78643.jpeg
    156D291B-7003-4A1E-B9E0-131695F78643.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: ColoradoMike
Oops. Different Tri Valley area. I just clicked on your link and got thrown to Ohio's Tri Valley area. I was joking about Ohio because they always seemed to get their vehicles absurdly quickly.
Got a surprise text this morning telling me the car is available for pick up today. It was scheduled for Tues. Scrambled to get down to the Fremont Plant. There were at least 500 cars ready for delivery in the lot. Found my car about 20 rows back. It was like Christmas morning. Then saw a dent on the hood! Found a SA and they tried to buff it out. Then they took it into the paint shop to repaint it because they thought it was a clear coat issue. 2 hours later, they said the hood needs to be replaced. Car won’t be ready for another 3 hrs. Drove home empty handed. Now waiting for their call and don’t know if it’ll be ready today or tomorrow.

Got a surprise text this morning telling me the car is available for pick up today. It was scheduled for Tues. Scrambled to get down to the Fremont Plant. There were at least 500 cars ready for delivery in the lot. Found my car about 20 rows back. It was like Christmas morning. Then saw a dent on the hood! Found a SA and they tried to buff it out. Then they took it into the paint shop to repaint it because they thought it was a clear coat issue. 2 hours later, they said the hood needs to be replaced. Car won’t be ready for another 3 hrs. Drove home empty handed. Now waiting for their call and don’t know if it’ll be ready today or tomorrow.
Classic. Carefully prepared by Tesla - except that they didn't notice a dented hood. They also didn't note a dented roof panel on mine. I guess it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission (let the customer find it and complain - maybe they'll miss it).

Sorry to hear that. I was at Fremont plant yesterday also and could not believe the volume of cars that were ready for delivery. I’m sorry to hear your car had issues; I too am slowly seeing several more cosmetic issues which is extremely disappointing. I was lucky I had a understandable technician who agreed with my assessment of the issues that I had pointed out even through the service agent was trying to get me to accept and leave as quickly as possible. I am now super annoyed that they scratched my hood during the repair process which I only saw when I got home. Am not sure how Tesla will fix this as I don’t want to risk further damage. I am also seeing misaligned Frunk and scuff marks there also near the Tesla logo.

While on site, I did overhear several other customers voicing their frustrations at the poor build quality with their M3s and few did reject.

Sorry for the negative post, but these are my initial thoughts given that I have had my M3 now for 24 hours. It’s an amazing car to drive though which is most important!

Sorry to hear that. I was at Fremont plant yesterday also and could not believe the volume of cars that were ready for delivery. I’m sorry to hear your car had issues; I too am slowly seeing several more cosmetic issues which is extremely disappointing. I was lucky I had a understandable technician who agreed with my assessment of the issues that I had pointed out even through the service agent was trying to get me to accept and leave as quickly as possible. I am now super annoyed that they scratched my hood during the repair process which I only saw when I got home. Am not sure how Tesla will fix this as I don’t want to risk further damage. I am also seeing misaligned Frunk and scuff marks there also near the Tesla logo.

While on site, I did overhear several other customers voicing their frustrations at the poor build quality with their M3s and few did reject.

Sorry for the negative post, but these are my initial thoughts given that I have had my M3 now for 24 hours. It’s an amazing car to drive though which is most important!
I hear you. I feel the same way. For $65k, I expect better QC and delivery experience. We had to find our own vehicle in the sea of cars after 6:00 pm. The SC was closed and for whatever reason, they didn't park the car in the SC customer parking area as promised. It was like Easter egg hunt. I had to set off the horn and lights to find the car. I am sure I will find a few more issues today when I inspect the vehicle with better lighting in my garage. On a positive note, the car is definitely fun to drive. I got it past 90 MPH and it handles fairly well.

I hear you. I feel the same way. For $65k, I expect better QC and delivery experience. We had to find our own vehicle in the sea of cars after 6:00 pm. The SC was closed and for whatever reason, they didn't park the car in the SC customer parking area as promised. It was like Easter egg hunt. I had to set off the horn and lights to find the car. I am sure I will find a few more issues today when I inspect the vehicle with better lighting in my garage. On a positive note, the car is definitely fun to drive. I got it past 90 MPH and it handles fairly well.
Agree with all your points. Again sorry for your experience.

I just raised a service request to have these issues looked at but I’m nervous if this will make things worse. The alignment of the hood is a perfect example where I now have a row of scratches in the area where they worked on. The charge port door looks the same despite their assurance they worked on it.

All the service centers around the area seem to have bad reviews. I eventually booked the Fremont center, but I’m trying to convince myself to cancel the appointment and just live with it. Do you or anyone else know which is the most preferred SC in the area?

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Classic. Carefully prepared by Tesla - except that they didn't notice a dented hood. They also didn't note a dented roof panel on mine. I guess it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission (let the customer find it and complain - maybe they'll miss it).

Agree with all your points. Again sorry for your experience.

I just raised a service request to have these issues looked at but I’m nervous if this will make things worse. The alignment of the hood is a perfect example where I now have a row of scratches in the area where they worked on. The charge port door looks the same despite their assurance they worked on it.

All the service centers around the area seem to have bad reviews. I eventually booked the Fremont center, but I’m trying to convince myself to cancel the appointment and just live with it. Do you or anyone else know which is the most preferred SC in the area?
Unfortunately, I don't know which SC is the best around the Bay Area. Dublin SC is less than 10 mins from me so I am just going to bite the bullet and take my car there.

Reactions: SpeedBird23
Alright guys. I got the car yesterday - factory pick up. Sorry, to start the experience with some negatives, but I want to get this out of the way first. At inspection we noted a couple of issues which the advisor tried to dismiss, but a technician on site agreed that the noted areas did require work. First the issues:

1. Charge door sticks out noticeably. They said the entire assemble would need to be replaced which will take about 60 minutes. We agreed, they gave us a loaner for that time which was a nice touch.

2. The junction where the upper trunk arm meets the rear door (sorry am not good with naming car body parts) was misaligned such that there was a noticeable gap (about 5mm) on one side and at passenger side they were in direct contact. Technician advised this will be fixed on site.

3. Frunk is sunk on one side. We only noticed this when we got home. Am debating whether I should report this to Tesla as I am not sure if they will fix it adequately based on my experience to 1. and 2. above.

4. Interior rubber trim around door is detached. Technician advised this will flatten out over time (very unlikely).

Solutions:
1. I was told the charging door assembly is replaced, but by looking at it, you would be convinced that they did not do anything as it sticks out by the same margin as when the issue was first noted.

2. The alignment is better now but not perfect. Is ok - I will live with that. What I’m MOST annoyed about is that they have scratched several areas on the truck body during the repairs which I noticed when I arrived home. This is bothering me the most and I really hope they can buff this out.

3. I will raise a service request for detached rubber seal shortly.

4. Not sure if I should report the misaligned frunk just in case they scratch that as well.

I haven’t yet checked the car interior in too much detail, but from a quick glance, it all looks good. The drive home was amazing, the car is blazingly fast. I did not notice any squeaks or rattles.

Again sorry for the negative post. I will share the positives and overall delivery experience in follow up post. As end note, I was told that I am the first few customers that have received a LR car given that the production of the AWD units only just commenced a few days ago. Most deliveries on site were still for the RWD.View attachment 871747

@SpeedBird23

Glad you got your car! You should NOT settle! My wife and I went through a bit rejecting our first M3LR and in the end when our new one came it was GOOD but not GREAT.
Have the service center fix the issues that are noticeable to you.....(IMO all of your issues are NOT something we would live with).

I looked at all of your pictures and ABSOLUTELY get them fixed and report them. Ours still has ONE issue dealing with paint holograms that we still have on "hold" working with our Service center here in Colorado. "Hold" is because we have had some family issues that we had/have to take care of. The issue is documented with Tesla so not a concern.

I'll try to dig up the post that I put up but our entire headliner had to be replaced. That took about 6 weeks to get it fixed but it was well worth it to have it replaced. DO NOT SETTLE for something you do not like! Take Pictures and put them in the service request and keep a record of all the issues.

We have found that our Tesla Service Center is really great to work with. Does it take some time to get parts and things.....for us YES! Were we glad we submitted our service request? 110% yes!

From the pictures you posted the paint things and scratches "should be" an easy fix for them just based upon what I saw.
The seat is another issue! HAVE THEM FIX IT!

We love our vehicle and it is doing really well! It seems like there are differing opinions on Tesla Service Centers. For US....we really like the folks that are here in Colorado and can ONLY give them a TON of praise!

Good luck!

PSA and UPDATE:

So first off....our car wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. However, our Local Service Center has been really good on issues we had after driving it home. Could I have spent a couple hours inspecting the car at the center I would have still had to make a service request.

PSA: If you are taking delivery be certain to look over MAJOR issues. Paint would be my first thing to look at. If there are imperfections bring them up at the time but it appears that severe holograms (you need to look in bright sunlight at all angles) can "hopefully" be fixed. I managed to get the majority of them out with a simple polish but some were beyond what I wanted to do on a new car. Tesla is going to fix the ones I wasn't so comfortable taking out.

LOOK at your interior trim! I didn't even notice this with the initial delivery but when I got home it was evident that the entire headliner was simply WRONG. Many gaps and bulging areas above the driver's head. Pretty simple to ask for help in the app and they are going to replace the headliner which extends into the back.

CHECK your windshield wipers. Make certain they do not hit the frunk hood. At delivery it wasn't an issue but when we got rain on the way for PPF and Tint it turned out the wiper was hitting the frunk hood. It should be an easy fix and will update when I get more info.

LOOK at your car in varying lighting conditions....aside from paint swirls, holograms, etc take pictures in the lighting you have. Telsa will fix them, at least in my case.

The good news is that the car is GREAT. It is in my Tint PPF place now and will pick it back up later this week.

UPDATE: So we originally put in a service request through the app. The first two items were pretty easy but after looking at it over the past 48 hrs I found some issues. Be certain to add this to your service request. Our Colorado Springs Service Center was great about responding but now that it is Monday (they do not work on weekends) our initial "mobile service appt" would not work...this pushed it to me bringing the car in on Thursday/Friday for the issues we had. HOWEVER, I got a text stating the parts would not be available and it got pushed back to the end of the month. Nothing that would cause any issues driving but the windshield wipers ARE an issue. I was able to talk to the service center and they said to bring it in as soon as possible and they would figure it out. To be honest, it is probably a simple adjustment and the person I spoke with agreed but we will see.

Just be patient. Was it perfect on delivery? Absolutely not. This time was is something I would reject the car....NO WAY. They can fix these minor issues.

So far so good! Car drives great! Tech is awesome! Local service thus far has been super accommodating and are willing to help!

YMMV but aside from the aforementioned issues THIS CAR ROCKS!

:)

PS: If you are like me and are having PPF/TINT done ASAP. Make certain that your issues aren't something that will impact your PPF/TINT install. ALSO, if you have a good relationship with your shop (we do)...let them know what your issues are. I would have never known about the windshield wipers hitting the frunk until our guy told us about this. I honestly wouldn't have seen this and Henry pointed this out. Also, show your PPF/TINT guy the issue you have and if they are used to working on Teslas they will point issues out. The great thing is Tesla is very open, at least here, to making sure you get a quality product even if it wasn't "perfect" upon delivery/acceptance.

YES!.....ours is not painted!

View attachment 843883
The front door is not painted on the driver side. Not a huge issue but wanted to bring it up.

Passenger is a bit better with a bit more coverage.

Just something to note

Actually not as I mentioned previously take a look at this....the LEFT side of the picture is where the paint was not applied on the front doors.

The RIGHT side of the image is the reflections on the opened door. Very obvious upon opening the door and looking at it.

The lack of paint runs from the bottom or the door to the top.

In Day to day use, probably not an issue but it IS an issue.

View attachment 843896
@SpeedBird23

Sorry for the delay. Had to find some of MY posts.

You are NOT the only person that encounters issues and never feel badly for posting the "negatives".

TONS of folks are happy with their delivery and probably do not take a ton of time looking at them or even making a comment on an internet forum such as this.

TESLA CAN and WILL fix your issues based upon our experiences. It just may take a bit of time.

AGAIN....get that seat issue taken care of! That is something that "will not get better"!