Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR cold range city driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the recent cold snap I thought I’d do a little experiment because I was charging more often that I thought I should be, and that gave the impression it was costing me lot of money.

This relates to a March 2022 Model 3 Long Range, driven when temperatures where around -5C and 0C the whole time, so pretty much as cold as it usually gets around the London area.

Based on driving short journeys around town, school drop offs / pick ups so heavy traffic, dropping kids off to tuition / football, shops & other errands here and there.

Car was charged to 80% and I drove 76 miles which resulted in battery dropping to 16%, I charged it back up to 80% adding 53.74kwh at a cost of £10.65 ( yeah I am still on a cheap tariff for about another year)

I took an average diesel price of £1.82 per litre, which meant that the £10.65 would have bought me 5.85 litres of diesel, or 1.28 uk gallons. 76 miles using 1.29 gallons of diesel is 58.9mpg.

If I was using my diesel Merc c class 220 to do the same journeys, i estimate somewhere around 30mpg max, probably a little less.

Currently really impressed with the fuel savings even when it’s cold out, however, might not be saying that same next winter depending on the price of Electricity or Diesel, but so far so good, and worst case its in par, but at least i am getting into a warmed up \ fully defrosted car.

That range sounds like no battery preconditioning either - presumably because you don't want to use shore power outside your cheap rate.

Additionally a fair whack of that battery drain will be HVAC in those conditions. With a bit of tweaking like turning the compressor off as long as you're confident you won't fog up inside the car, I'd expect a decent range bump.

During the recent cold snap I thought I’d do a little experiment because I was charging more often that I thought I should be, and that gave the impression it was costing me lot of money.

This relates to a March 2022 Model 3 Long Range, driven when temperatures where around -5C and 0C the whole time, so pretty much as cold as it usually gets around the London area.

Based on driving short journeys around town, school drop offs / pick ups so heavy traffic, dropping kids off to tuition / football, shops & other errands here and there.

Car was charged to 80% and I drove 76 miles which resulted in battery dropping to 16%, I charged it back up to 80% adding 53.74kwh at a cost of £10.65 ( yeah I am still on a cheap tariff for about another year)

I took an average diesel price of £1.82 per litre, which meant that the £10.65 would have bought me 5.85 litres of diesel, or 1.28 uk gallons. 76 miles using 1.29 gallons of diesel is 58.9mpg.

If I was using my diesel Merc c class 220 to do the same journeys, i estimate somewhere around 30mpg max, probably a little less.

Currently really impressed with the fuel savings even when it’s cold out, however, might not be saying that same next winter depending on the price of Electricity or Diesel, but so far so good, and worst case its in par, but at least i am getting into a warmed up \ fully defrosted car.
Just keep an eye on the Wh/mile reading since you last charged so that you can compare efficiency in different temps and circumstances. The recent return of the information "card" at the bottom of the car visualisations onscreen lets you keep an eye on this very easily. Once your temperatures are averaging a few degrees more you should see a difference. Stopping for a while (and the car cooling down) then starting another short run inevitably eats into your range more than a single journey of a similar distance.

If I was using my diesel Merc c class 220 to do the same journeys, i estimate somewhere around 30mpg max

Do you reckon you would reliably get 30 MPG on short-journeys in cold-weather?

I don't know the answer, but my perception is that cold (i.e. X miles before everything is warmed up) + short journeys = poor MPG for an ICE

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouba
Do you reckon you would reliably get 30 MPG on short-journeys in cold-weather?

I don't know the answer, but my perception is that cold (i.e. X miles before everything is warmed up) + short journeys = poor MPG for an ICE
I don’t know for sure either, trip showed around 33mpg so i took a few mpg off, so maybe 25-30mpg depending on how much you trust it, EV still miles better currently.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
That range sounds like no battery preconditioning either - presumably because you don't want to use shore power outside your cheap rate.

Additionally a fair whack of that battery drain will be HVAC in those conditions. With a bit of tweaking like turning the compressor off as long as you're confident you won't fog up inside the car, I'd expect a decent range bump.
That’s my flat rate, i dont precondition as it’s using electricity from somewhere. Forgot to say climate on auto set to 20c. Even then it’s sometimes too hot, sometimes cold, not sure how great the auto climate is, but that’s for another time.

Just keep an eye on the Wh/mile reading since you last charged so that you can compare efficiency in different temps and circumstances. The recent return of the information "card" at the bottom of the car visualisations onscreen lets you keep an eye on this very easily. Once your temperatures are averaging a few degrees more you should see a difference. Stopping for a while (and the car cooling down) then starting another short run inevitably eats into your range more than a single journey of a similar distance.
Yeah, noticed that card is back, i am pretty impressed with the cold weather range to be honest, i think because you charge an EV more often then you’d fill up an ICE, especially in the cold, the perception is that it’s not efficient, but it’s surprisingly good.

Reactions: Adopado
I've done the same thing more than I care to count and based on the price I pay to charge (public charger), the ICE wins, time and time again.

I've done the same commute for a few years and I pay more to charge my car than I did to fuel either of my last two cars, it doesn't get any more simple than that I dont think.

What were you driving before?
Something that gave 24mpg on a good day.

I only do daily 75-80 mile weekly commute, with the occasional weekend chores, so always based it on 100 miles a week and previously this was costing me £30 give or take. I wasn't paying so much attention then to be fair but all fuel costs were paid using a charge card, so could work it out based on my monthly direct debit. Anyway... Recent months, I've been pretty much charging twice a week at £20 a time.

24mpg on a good day. ... based it on 100 miles a week and previously this was costing me £30 give or take

At £1.80 a Litre then £30 and 100 miles I make that 27 MPG

100 EV miles assuming only 3 miles per kWh (cold / or "In a hurry" :) ) = 33kWh,

For a cost of 2x £20 that would be £1.21 per kWh ... that's a heck of a lot, so I think worth looking into whether the car is very thirsty for some reason (e.g. Sentry Mode on all the time), or you are being fleeced (perhaps "in error") where you are charging.

Hopefully its something that can be fixed / improved :)

Why? I don’t follow.
Cause that's what the company charges where I charge my car. Alternatives are either too far away, unreliable or just simply too slow, Fastned seems to be most reliable of all that I've used. Supercharger near(ish) to me (Dakota) were never the fastest I found and the added hassle of having to go into the reception every time I wanted to charge would become a pain.

I of course used to put up with the hassle of unreliability and slow charging speeds when Chargeplacescotland were free.

I'm currently paying 73p/kWh

It most definitely is, just as soon as I can get rid of the damn thing :confused:
That’s a good example of how EV can get too expensive if you do not have home charging or not in the right kind of tariff or a harsh winter etc.,. Would be more helpful for some if they want to switch from their ICE to EV just looking at only other’s experience of how much they save by having solar and home charger etc.,

Cause that's what the company charges where I charge my car. Alternatives are either too far away, unreliable or just simply too slow, Fastned seems to be most reliable of all that I've used. Supercharger near(ish) to me (Dakota) were never the fastest I found and the added hassle of having to go into the reception every time I wanted to charge would become a pain.

I of course used to put up with the hassle of unreliability and slow charging speeds when Chargeplacescotland were free.

Wow! Paying for convenience is understandable ... but obviously if cost is too much of an issue there are (less convenient) cheaper ways of charging, even on public chargers. I've never had to do it but I hear some people do a "Plugshare" with someone with a home charger that is available at various times.

Reactions: WannabeOwner