Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR cracked glass, defective?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front windshield and noticed a large crack running up from the very bottom of the pane in front of the driver.

It was extremely cold today and preconditioned then I noticed after clearing the window.

Tesla doesn't want to cover it? Is this normal? On a four month old vehicle?

I found a crack that spans bottom of the window (not in the visible area). I haven't looked into "fixing" it as it's not visible while driving and doesn't appear to affect anything.

I don't think it's normal... this is the first vehicle I've owned that's had any glass damage of any kind.

We had roof glass damage on delivery in 2018 and Tesla did replace the panel free of charge. However, we did get a star crack from a rock in the front windshield. I’ve filled it with the hope that we’ll get a few more seasons before it gets bad enough to require a replacement.

The problem with the replacement glass is that it’s $1,400. Our previous Mazda cost us $400. That’s a big bump.

I looked closer, on the passenger side, appears to be a point of impact. Crack goes along the black area all the way across to the drivers side.

glass-crack-impact-point.png

I had a rock from a dump truck in front of me while driving on the hwy chip my front windshield Last year. The crack grew about 1” everyday. I slowed it down by putting some crazy glue on it but eventually gave up and let it continue to crack the length of the entire windshield while I waited 2 months for Tesla authorized body shop get in a windshield. Even creating a service ticket with Tesla didn’t help. They replied by text and said windshields come up from USA and average wait time is 1-2 months. They told me don’t worry, the front windshield has anti-shatter coating unlike the side windows.

I have an appointment this Thursday for my glass issue which my PPF installer pointed out to me last month. He says it's a stress fracture, let's see what Tesla tells me. They are getting worse and worse for taking responsibility for any defects.

Attachments

• img1 (2).jpg
    img1 (2).jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 56