Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR for LONG daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen threads asking if a Model 3 LR can handle a long commute and the answer is typically yes, however I have something I haven’t seen discussed...

I have a long daily commute 136 miles each way (272 daily). Please no comments about that as I can answer them quickly: Yes, the commute is for a high paying job. No, my wife will not move. No, I cannot work from home. No, I cannot find a similar job that’s closer to home. No, I cannot charge at work (although that might be a possibility). No, I do not care about depreciation or resale value.

That out of the way, I live in Jacksonville, FL so it gets hot and the winters don’t get below 30-40*. My commute is 100% highway. I’m currently paying $600/m in gas so an EV seems like a no-brainer. My problem is I’m not sure a Model 3 LR can go 275 daily (I always read to charge to 80% and not below 20%, which would leave only 210 miles). Being on the road for 4 hours a day, I’m not real interested in stopping to charge.

So my question is, can a LR actually be used for 275 daily with no charging in between?

Thanks

Reactions: Vecii
I’ve seen threads asking if a Model 3 LR can handle a long commute and the answer is typically yes, however I have something I haven’t seen discussed...

I have a long daily commute 136 miles each way (272 daily). Please no comments about that as I can answer them quickly: Yes, the commute is for a high paying job. No, my wife will not move. No, I cannot work from home. No, I cannot find a similar job that’s closer to home. No, I cannot charge at work (although that might be a possibility). No, I do not care about depreciation or resale value.

That out of the way, I live in Jacksonville, FL so it gets hot and the winters don’t get below 30-40*. My commute is 100% highway. I’m currently paying $600/m in gas so an EV seems like a no-brainer. My problem is I’m not sure a Model 3 LR can go 275 daily (I always read to charge to 80% and not below 20%, which would leave only 210 miles). Being on the road for 4 hours a day, I’m not real interested in stopping to charge.

So my question is, can a LR actually be used for 275 daily with no charging in between?

Thanks
It depends. If you drive it conservatively, probably. If you drive it like you stole it, definitely not.

It's may be possible, but you might not make it all the way home every time.
You'll want to plan on driving like you normally would vs"chill mode" and 55 mph or less.
Plus you'll want the AC on some times.

Best to scope out charging options near work, or a Supercharger along the way (probably 10-15 mins is enough).
That way you'll have a plan B.
And given the propensity of heavy downpours in Florida, that's another factor that can significantly cut range.

Reactions: byeLT4 and MXLRplus
Speed is gonna be your factor here. If it's all highway and you're planning on ~75 or more I'm gonna say no. In VA speed limits are 55-60 so 65-70 is avg here and I'm fine. If I had to commute in 75-80mph traffic my range would plummet.

It's may be possible, but you might not make it all the way home every time.
You'll want to plan on driving like you normally would vs"chill mode" and 55 mph or less.
Plus you'll want the AC on some times.

Best to scope out charging options near work, or a Supercharger along the way (probably 10-15 mins is enough).
That way you'll have a plan B.

Agreed, I'd say if he has a supercharger on the way home and you're cool using it every day it could work.

Thanks

Since this the model 3 forum, I am assuming you are talking about a model 3. Unless you can charge at work, you will be stopping to charge, for at least 15 minutes or so, daily.

For daily use, you would be charging from 90% to (normally) 20%. Unless you drive 60 MPH or so, you are going to roll off miles at more than a 1:1 clip. That 136 mile trip is going to use 150-180 miles, depending on how fast you drive, elevation, weather, etc.

As for "The winters dont get below X", Its not going to be much different than weather here in California, and my normal commute to work is 80 miles round trip. That trip takes from 85 ish "tesla miles" to 135 ish "tesla miles" in the winter (which is no colder than 40s when I am driving).

TL ; DR, no you will not be doing this in a model 3 without stopping, especially not in the winter, and likely not in the summer. The ONLY way you could do that without stopping to charge on the way home for 15-20 minutes would be to have charging where you are parking at work. Failing that, if you buy a model 3 you will need to be ok with stopping to charge, daily, on your commute.

If you buy a LR model S, and set your cruise control to the speed limit, you could probably do that. In a model 3, no.

In a word NO! Assuming you charge to 90% and leave 10% margin you now have 282. If you drive at 60 mph or above you can expect at best, 85% of rated which puts you near 240miles. Using Auto Pilot will further reduce things if you're driving in traffic most of the way. The self steering hunts somewhat which is less efficient and the Cruise control reacts rather than anticipates thus using much less regen that a good driver would use. I doubt that the S would work either because it averages closer to 80% of rated.

All Tesla's are grosely over rated for range for anything above 60 mph and they are getting worse. I have had 5 of them since 2012 (S85, S85D, X100D, X100 Long Range and a 3 SR+. Interestingly the 2021 3 SR+ is the best of all of them in terms of driving pleasure, comfort and most notibly wind and road noise. I was very surprised.

I have a love-hate relationship with Tesla. The cars are really cool to drive and are acceptably comfortable for the most part. Their fit and finish is still worst in the industry. Service is at best, passible. Their cars are painfull overrated regarding range and cost of ownership and that is getting worse with time. When you look at charging losses, phantom drain and plain lies about EPA numbers you'll be lucky to get even 70% of Tesla stated numbers. Oh yes, their current battery chemistry degrades more than the earlier model.

That is the hate part. I just love the way they drive, though so I keep trying hoping Tesla will take care of these issues.

If you blow 1/2 hour at or near your destination, however, you will be sitting pretty even with a Model 3 SR+!

Being in the car for 4 hours a day leads me to not exactly wanting to stop and charge (trying to get home before the kids go to bed). My thought was that this wasn’t going to be possible unless I can get an outlet installed and I can charge during the day.

Being in the car for 4 hours a day leads me to not exactly wanting to stop and charge (trying to get home before the kids go to bed). My thought was that this wasn’t going to be possible unless I can get an outlet installed and I can charge during the day.

Thats a fairly accurate summary in my opinion. It isnt going to work without charging wherever your car is parked for work, and thats if you park there for some extended period of time.

I would not recommend a Model 3 LR for this commute if you can't arrange a reserved Level 2 charging situation at work. You'd have to recover at least 30 miles or real world range somewhere along your commute to make it home without range anxiety. The commute can be done with that requirement, but I would absolutely hate coming home to a dead battery the whole week. Adding Supercharging to the equation just negates the cost savings of driving an EV and time to an already long commute.

A current Tesla Model S could do this commute without much issue without the need to plug in at work. A decent ICE car would provide a much better experience with a commute like this.

Believe I have seen a test of 290 miles at a steady 70 mph in about ideal conditions with little climate control, wouldn't leave you much of a buffer, it wouldn't take but 5-10 minutes at a supercharger if needed. If you could stomach the drive at 60 or 65 it should be fine, then charge up overnight at home.

Believe I have seen a test of 290 miles at a steady 70 mph in about ideal conditions with little climate control, wouldn't leave you much of a buffer, it wouldn't take but 5-10 minutes at a supercharger if needed. If you could stomach the drive at 60 or 65 it should be fine, the charge up overnight at home.

Someone who is driving 136 miles each way to work and back probably isnt driving at 60-65MPH. They could be, but its highly unlikely. That much driving, probably much of it on multilane freeways / interstates..... I happen to agree that a decent ICE or hybrid would be a better choice for this use case.

buying a model S for this drive, while the car could make it, is a much more expensive car than is "needed" for this commute. OP say they are spending 600 a month in gas, but doesnt state in what kind of vehicle that is. Some very high MPG ICE vehicle / Hybrid seems to be the correct choice.

I’m currently using a Honda Accord getting 30 mpg. Sure there are hybrids that can get 40 or 50 mpg but after doing the math, it’s not much of a savings when you add in the price of a car.

Current setup: $600 gas, $50 oil change, no car payment

Proposed setup: $830 for car, electricity, and increased insurance.

So for an extra $180 all in, I’d be driving a Model 3 LR. Getting a hybrid type car would save me $240 on gas but then I’d still have car payment and regular monthly oil changes. If the finances were a wash between the two, I’d still be hitting the gas station 3x’s per week.

I just need to get an outlet installed at work and I can charge literally all day. I’m the CFO so would only have to convince one person 🤞

I’m currently using a Honda Accord getting 30 mpg. Sure there are hybrids that can get 40 or 50 mpg but after doing the math, it’s not much of a savings when you add in the price of a car.

Current setup: $600 gas, $50 oil change, no car payment

Proposed setup: $830 for car, electricity, and increased insurance.

So for an extra $180 all in, I’d be driving a Model 3 LR. Getting a hybrid type car would save me $240 on gas but then I’d still have car payment and regular monthly oil changes. If the finances were a wash between the two, I’d still be hitting the gas station 3x’s per week.

I just need to get an outlet installed at work and I can charge literally all day. I’m the CFO so would only have to convince one person 🤞

if you can charge all day at work, (and also install home charging) that completely flips the script on this. If thats the case, then I would recommend getting a model 3 as a really good option for your commute (again, with the stipulation that you are charging at work) as well as home. There isnt any issue in setting the max charge to 90%, so dont believe that you have to set it to 80%. 90% is the top of the slider for "daily use" in the app.

I have had my model 3 set for 90% since I got it, and have experienced less battery degradation than many here who gnash teeth, and have specific charging processes like charging to 76.243%.