Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR for LONG daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, new here to the group. After some light reading here i decided to post.

Like some others here, I drive 75 to 80 miles one way to work. (Philadelphia subs to North Jersey). Depends on the route I choose for the day. I currently own a 2018 Prius and get from 46 mpg in winter to 56 mpg in summer! Yes, it's a big swing.

I am looking at the M3 LR or the Camry Hybrid. I test drove both and love them the same. The only thing that I keep coming back to, will the M3 make it back and forth on one charge in the winter?

I work for the Government and charging at work might be an issue. They do have 20Amp outlets in the rear parking lot for other government owned vehicles which i MIGHT be able use due to Obama ex order.

North Jersey has a bunch of uphill driving on I80 and can get near 0f in the winter.

Just looking for some people with experience and might be a bit smarter than me to assist with a 50k decision.
Plug it into abetterrouteplanner.com. In the advanced settings you can set the temperature. It’s very accurate.

Like some others here, I drive 75 to 80 miles one way to work. (Philadelphia subs to North Jersey). Depends on the route I choose for the day. I currently own a 2018 Prius and get from 46 mpg in winter to 56 mpg in summer! Yes, it's a big swing.

I am looking at the M3 LR or the Camry Hybrid. I test drove both and love them the same. The only thing that I keep coming back to, will the M3 make it back and forth on one charge in the winter?

I work for the Government and charging at work might be an issue. They do have 20Amp outlets in the rear parking lot for other government owned vehicles which i MIGHT be able use due to Obama ex order.

North Jersey has a bunch of uphill driving on I80 and can get near 0f in the winter.

Just looking for some people with experience and might be a bit smarter than me to assist with a 50k decision.

I think you’d be fine in winter and they’re adding more superchargers in the Lehigh valley in case you need to stop
Do be sure to get a good home charging set up done

160 miles round trip? No problem. You’ll be fine even in the depths of February.

(also in northern NJ and drive a LR Model 3. On I80/287/GSP). Hi from Parsippany!

It’s actually the perfect car for our area. There’s nowhere in-state I can go that’s not in range. Plenty of Superchargers around too although I use them so infrequently. Just around me I have Parsippany, Rockaway, Boonton, Springfield and others ….
Cool thanks. I work right around the block from you! Picatinny waves hi!

I will be getting a NEMA plug at home. I think that will work best that way since I have an RV trailer as well!

1750.00 for the electric install. Then figure out when the best time to order the M3. We are
giving the Prius to my daughter in August when she gets her license.

thanks again for the help

Reactions: BrianBigNFun

You absolutely can make it.

My commute is 136 miles each way. I'm using about 51% of the range each way. My 100% range is 300 miles...meaning I'm using 160 miles of battery range each way. Thus I just barely cannot make it round trip. You most certainly can make it with no problems. I also drive not so conservatively so my efficiency is usually only 80-90%, meaning 136 miles of travel are costing me 170-151 battery miles. I've gotten 100% before, where 136 actual miles cost me 136 battery miles but that was driving extremely conservatively.

Reactions: Big Earl
I will be getting a NEMA plug at home. I think that will work best that way since I have an RV trailer as well!

1750.00 for the electric install.
$1,750 to install a NEMA 14-50?? Mine was $385. Even when I got a quote from a Tesla electrician it was $600 for a 14-50, $1,100 to install a wallcharger if you supply the charger, or $1,700 for them to supply and install the wallcharger.

$1,750 to install a NEMA 14-50?? Mine was $385. Even when I got a quote from a Tesla electrician it was $600 for a 14-50, $1,100 to install a wallcharger if you supply the charger, or $1,700 for them to supply and install the wallcharger.
Likewise, mine was around $350. And remember to keep your receipts as you can get 30% back for the install and equipment up to $1,000. So really with the 30% i'll be getting back in 2022 from the $350 NEMA 14-50 the cost is $245 ($350 - $105). Just search the IRS 8911 form. Lastly, make sure for the install they add a note "Electric Vehicle" in case of audits.

Cool thanks. I work right around the block from you! Picatinny waves hi!

1750.00 for the electric install. Then figure out when the best time to order the M3. We are
giving the Prius to my daughter in August when she gets her license.

thanks again for the help
My wife teaches in Rockaway so we know Picatinny very well! Small world.
That electric install sounds expensive on the surface but if - as you said below - it involves a sub panel install 50 feet from the main, it’s not absurd. Material costs are way way up too; we all need to readjust a little based on that alone.

If you want the Model 3 for August, I wouldn’t wait too much longer. That said; the new NJ state incentive program should start once the budget opens in early July, if you’re on the Jersey side of Philly. Right now it’s looking like (not guaranteed!) a $2000 discount on Model 3. Have to keep the cost below $55k though.
Feel free to message me anytime if I can answer any questions for you. Our local Tesla owners’ group has a strong presence outside Philly so I can’t recommend joining enough!

My wife teaches in Rockaway so we know Picatinny very well! Small world.
That electric install sounds expensive on the surface but if - as you said below - it involves a sub panel install 50 feet from the main, it’s not absurd. Material costs are way way up too; we all need to readjust a little based on that alone.

If you want the Model 3 for August, I wouldn’t wait too much longer. That said; the new NJ state incentive program should start once the budget opens in early July, if you’re on the Jersey side of Philly. Right now it’s looking like (not guaranteed!) a $2000 discount on Model 3. Have to keep the cost below $55k though.
Feel free to message me anytime if I can answer any questions for you. Our local Tesla owners’ group has a strong presence outside Philly so I can’t recommend joining enough!
I'm on the Philly side. I can almost throw rocks at sesame place!

This makes me miss living up north. Moved from up north in Bensalem to Florida to be closer to family. I used to work near Sesame at the building next to Oxford Mall.
Wow small world. We are right next to Core Creek Park.

I grew up in the area and went to Bishop Egan.

I was looking for any incentives for purchasing but really haven't seen too much.

I am also looking to see if there is a MPGe differance between the 18 and 19 inch wheels.

Reactions: NickStu
Wow small world. We are right next to Core Creek Park.

I grew up in the area and went to Bishop Egan.

I was looking for any incentives for purchasing but really haven't seen too much.

I am also looking to see if there is a MPGe differance between the 18 and 19 inch wheels.
I don't know about any state incentives at the moment and the only government incentive is for the EV charger install and equipment. That incentive is 30% of the cost up to $1000.

I'm on the Philly side. I can almost throw rocks at sesame place!
So close -- if you were on the Jersey side, there'd be no sales tax and you could claim the upcoming credit in July... but then, you'd also have our awful property taxes too!

Not much but you'll be able to claim a 30% credit for the EV charger installation (electrician cost + equipment too) on your federal taxes next year -- Form 8911 is your friend.

As for MPGe - that's not a metric I like to use much... once you go EV, watt-hours/mile (wh/mi) is what you want to focus on, really. It's more directly relatable. That said ... there IS a difference between 18" and 19". I replaced my 18s with 19s and regret every second of it. Not for the efficiency (I'm not too concerned - it's not often I do long distances) but because every.damn.pothole.keeps.bending.my.wheels! I bent 3 wheels this winter. The 19s are lower profile so they do "catch" in a pothole where the 18s would've been OK. Once I wear through these tires, I'm going to switch back to 18s. I've had enough. The shame is that I LOVE the QuietTrack tires on there now. They're wearing like iron, have great grip and handling, and have been excellent. It's just the wheels that are driving me batty!

Is there an update on from the OP. I also looking to purchase a Tesla LR and have a long commute 101 mi each way.
You absolutely can make it.

My commute is 136 miles each way. I'm using about 51% of the range each way. My 100% range is 300 miles...meaning I'm using 160 miles of battery range each way. Thus I just barely cannot make it round trip. You most certainly can make it with no problems. I also drive not so conservatively so my efficiency is usually only 80-90%, meaning 136 miles of travel are costing me 170-151 battery miles. I've gotten 100% before, where 136 actual miles cost me 136 battery miles but that was driving extremely conservatively.

One this page of the thread, up a ways