Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR for LONG daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a couple of plugs that are near my hospital but they are all $.49/kwh which kind of defeats the purpose.

I think what I'm going to end up doing is getting the 240v installed at any cost (even if I pay for it myself). I will have the outlet installed inside an electrical box (under lock and key) that will also house an additional charging cable. The cable will stay plugged in. So when I arrive, I'll unlock the box and plug in.

Option 2 is I'm going to get bids put together and present to Corp the option of getting 2-3 full charging stations as EV is the future. Not to mention all new construction has to have X number of EV charging stations...meaning existing facilities need to be upgraded.

Option 3 is I'll just suck it up and SC for 10 mins daily.

Either way, I informed the wife this morning that it's happening.

Well I may have to go that route but to answer your question...my aversion to stopping:

I’m already driving 4 hours a day, I have a high stress job (Hospital CFO), I drive home in an effort to see my young kids before they go to bed. I frequently go 3-4 days without seeing them because I leave before they’re up and get home after they’re asleep...so 15 mins on the way home is frequently the difference between seeing my kids or not. Not to mention, who wants to stop for 15 mins after the day I just described? You want to get home as soon as possible so I can workout, eat dinner, shower, and then bed. I just don’t have much time in my life. Can I stop? I suppose yes but I’d rather have a plug and charge during the day lol.

If your destination is a Hospital, getting some 240V outlets or a charger should be serious child's play. Not only do you have the facilities / equipment in place, but you also have a facilities maintenance / plant ops crew used to re-configuring existing spaces often as well as adding on space. There is so much maintenance work that you likely have a very highly skilled staff who is very knowledgeable about the facility. That's literally one of the best scenarios to have. Given how hospitals are design and built and added onto, there's probably a high voltage panel some place with a ton of room or a bunch of circuits no longer being used. And if you're the CFO, shouldn't be much trouble getting the work orders approved either. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm sure that there are employees who would also use such a facility. Could be very handy to install an EV charging zone with a bunch of 14-50 plugs where people can bring their own EVSE to plug in and charge. I'm sure the amount of electrical usage wouldn't even be a blip on the radar of a hospital. And you could have a nominal charge for those spots. Or make it part of their compensation.

You'd think it'd be a breeze to make it work but unfortunately there's no usable breaker boxes anywhere near the parking lot. There's two in the area with the closest being ~50 yards away and requiring tunneling under asphalt and sidewalk.

Let me know if you need me to find you a boring contractor for that. ;) I'd guess that 150' of boring a few conduit would cost you about $750 - $1,000.

(Can you tell that I do this for a living, lol).

Another idea: It seems like a hospital could easily justify having power outlets installed around the parking lot/garage in any event for emergency use. E.g., a hurricane hits, the wards are full, and you need power in the parking lot for triage, etc. As we speak, several of the medical centers here have drive-through COVID testing setups in their parking garages. Extension cords everywhere for the computers and all. The garage was built with 5-20 receptacles all around it. So those are what I assume they are using.

As CFO, perhaps there is state or federal funding available to cover most of the costs.

A lowly 5-20 would give you an extra 50-60 miles over an 8 hour day and may be all you need to bridge the gap.

using SuperChargers on a daily basis is bad for the battery.

As is charging to 100% and discharging to 5% daily.

It looks like OP is gonna get charging at work, one way or another. Probably the best outcome. Regarding the need for new conduit and getting under pavement and sidewalks, unless its a continuous 50 yard stretch without any aboveground access boring tools can do wonders these days. Not sure what the maximum distance is, but certainly 20 foot spans are doable.

I'd still rather have a helicopter for that commute!

You are the CFO of a big hospital, not some random schmoe at a small company. Have your facilities people take a serious look at how to provide charging, not as a one off for you but as a general solution that can be scaled over the years. Eventually you will need hundreds of chargers, not just for staff but also for patients. Putting in a couple of 240V outlets is not a scalable solution, you need something like Chargepoint that will allow you to recover the costs of the charging and even make a profit if you so desire.

I'm really surprised that in a facility full of highly paid doctors there is only one Bolt, just judging from the rate at which Tesla is installing Superchargers in FL I would have thought that Tesla's were very popular there. Prepandemic I had a weekly commute to a client in Needham MA, they are a fintech company located in a highend building. When the garage for the building was renovated last year the building management had a set of Chargepoints put in on every level of the garage. Charging is considered a necessary amenity these days. Those chargers are not fully occupied yet but I always see a number of EVs in that garage ranging from Volts and Sparks up to a Porsche Taycan and of course there are several Teslas.

Last edited:
I'd still rather have a helicopter for that commute!

While it certainly sounds awesome, as a pilot, I can tell you that flying for a DAILY commute is a no-go. The main reason is weather. You just can’t fly every day when you need to. People get killed when small aircraft try to push on in bad weather.

Flying could be an alternatte though if:
1) Only fly on good days
2) Not be tempted to push on in marginal or bad weather
3) If he had a flexible work schedule
4) Willing to stay in hotels when it is not safe to fly

Other issues:
1) The time it takes to prepare the aircraft for flight, which is 30 to 60 minutes depending on the aircraft... plus driving to the airport. It’s usually not door-to-door.
2) Range of aircraft and fuel required for a round trip flight. Fuel at destination or a fuel stop would probably be required.

Most people who fly for business have a flexible schedule and/or a corporate pilot to attend to the aircraft so that the owner / pilot can just jump in and go.

Helicopters are super expensive as is aviation fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions: F14Scott
I think what I'm going to end up doing is getting the 240v installed at any cost (even if I pay for it myself). I will have the outlet installed inside an electrical box (under lock and key) that will also house an additional charging cable. The cable will stay plugged in. So when I arrive, I'll unlock the box and plug in.
If you go this route you may as well install a Tesla Wall Charger. The mobile connector is $310 (including a 14-50 adapter) and a Wall Charger is $500. At some point Tesla will enable promised features and you should be able to remotely control charging - you will need WiFi to that spot of course. You can also look at other options such as the JuiceBox, etc.

Another thing to be aware of is poachers, if you really need to get charged to get home. What happens when someone comes and parks at the charger for six hours while his buddy gives him a ride to the nearby golf course and they do an 18 and some drinks? (Yes, it has happened!)

Its probably not an issue if you have controlled parking access, but if you don't have that, you might want to go the chargepoint route(which I think allows for identity-controlled charging), or an RFID based charger.

Of course, you can't really control any of this if you just supply 240V outlets.

Another thing to be aware of is poachers, if you really need to get charged to get home. What happens when someone comes and parks at the charger for six hours while his buddy gives him a ride to the nearby golf course and they do an 18 and some drinks? (Yes, it has happened!)

Its probably not an issue if you have controlled parking access, but if you don't have that, you might want to go the chargepoint route(which I think allows for identity-controlled charging), or an RFID based charger.

Of course, you can't really control any of this if you just supply 240V outlets.

Being the CFO I'm sure it would just be a phone call and a tow truck ;)

I was totally kidding about the helicopter.

If you go this route you may as well install a Tesla Wall Charger. The mobile connector is $310 (including a 14-50 adapter) and a Wall Charger is $500. At some point Tesla will enable promised features and you should be able to remotely control charging - you will need WiFi to that spot of course. You can also look at other options such as the JuiceBox, etc.
Good point about the mobile connector! Maybe the play is to SC until I have a definitive answer from Corp on the charging stations.

Yeah, which is why I wanted to sack-kick Elon after his idiotic claim that more adjustments = worse

IDK. Good seats don’t need a lot of adjustments... and all of the adjustments I’m the world don’t help a bad seat.

Tesla seems to have done a great job selecting seats. Firm, supportive, comfortable... sporty but not huge bolsters that hold you in. Supports a range of body styles.

Could there be a few more adjustments? Sure! But overall... I think they did great.

IDK. Good seats don’t need a lot of adjustments... and all of the adjustments I’m the world don’t help a bad seat.

Tesla seems to have done a great job selecting seats. Firm, supportive, comfortable... sporty but not huge bolsters that hold you in. Supports a range of body styles.

Could there be a few more adjustments? Sure! But overall... I think they did great.

I know a lot of people like them, and I'm going to genuinely try not to take this thread into the realm of "RTJ whines about the seats more", but there's a twofold problem with the seats for me:

1. The available adjustments are inadequate, namely the fact that there's no adjustable under-thigh support.
2. The range of the available adjustments is also inadequate. #1 can be somewhat compensated for in many cars by bringing the seat a bit further forward and tilting the hell out of the squab (seat bottom) backwards to shift the weight distribution on the cushion to take the pressure off of the front. Unfortunately, Tesla decided to build the seats without the ability to tilt the squab very far.

(also not related to simply fitting in the seats comfortably: WHERE'S THE F'ING COOLED SEAT OPTION FOR THE 3/Y, ELON? C'MON!)

• Funny
Reactions: GZDongles