Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR for LONG daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Honda is a great car but I would switch in an instant. I would recommend you schedule an extended test drive with your local Tesla store to make sure you like the car. I find having autopilot, (Not Full Self Driving), really reduces the stress of driving. You still have to pay attention, sit in the driver's seat, and keep your hands on the wheel but the car really helps monitor things on the interstate. I also think the reduction in trips to the gas station would really grow on you. Another nice benefit is cabin preconditioning which would be really nice in FL and if you are plugged in it won't reduce your range. Tesla's energy consumption graphics make it easy to see how much energy you are consuming and assures that you will be able take action to make it to your destination without any surprises.

Even if you have a 110 outlet at work you would be able to plug in and gain about 5 miles per hour which should give you enough range to make it home. Obviously 220 would be better at a charge rate of about 30 miles per hour but 110 would probably work to get you going.

The one downside for high mileage drivers is the lack of a spare tire. I have a spare wheel and tire I keep in the trunk. Even if you use roadside assistance there is no guarantee that they will have a tire to fit your car when they come to assist you.

Good luck!

Reactions: Big Earl
The outlet being installed is not in the most ideal spot but when my plant ops director asked me one last time if I wanted to do it, I just said "Yes, have them install it". Pretty much I was over-thinking it because I was afraid of the image it portrays. Then I had a moment of not caring lol

The fact that you DID think long and hard about it shows some consideration for the regular line level employees where you work, though. I personally think thats a good leadership example, but of course what I think doesnt matter any more than any other faceless person on the internet (lol).

Congrats on the purchase btw!

Reactions: outdoors
I drive 70 miles one way to work and my manager has a Model 3 LR rear motor and he installed a 14-50 plug in the back, so we can charge if needed on cold or windy days, but on warm days with a tailwind can make it there and back from 90% to ~20-25% when I get home... depends on speed and weather conditions, but it’s nice to know I can top off at work! I have a Performance Model 3 And like to drive it like I stole it.

The outlet being installed is not in the most ideal spot but when my plant ops director asked me one last time if I wanted to do it, I just said "Yes, have them install it". Pretty much I was over-thinking it because I was afraid of the image it portrays. Then I had a moment of not caring lol
Maybe it’s just me but when I see any electric car charging, I think “There’s someone who gets it …”. That’s the image it portrays to me; but I also suppose that’s quite unusual.

Now go cancel a meeting due to unforeseen scheduling conflicts and go get that car!! LOL

Will you be disconnecting your mobile charger from the home & work outlet daily or did you order a second one. Its not recommended to remove the plug often from outlets as it could eventually damage the outlet. A Tesla Wall Connector at home is another good solution in your circumstances. Glad it all worked out for you.

Will you be disconnecting your mobile charger from the home & work outlet daily or did you order a second one. Its not recommended to remove the plug often from outlets as it could eventually damage the outlet. A Tesla Wall Connector at home is another good solution in your circumstances. Glad it all worked out for you.
Yes I will using the mobile charger for both. I may end up getting a second adapter and leave it plugged in at home.

Congratulations on the new car. I hope that you will have the time to report back on your experience in a few months and let us know how things are going. My bet is that you will be able to make it to work and home without charging. Your car has a roughly 82 kWh battery which means that you will have to average 241 Wh/Mile to make it on 80% of your battery's capacity. If efficiency really is the name of the game that should be pretty easy to do assuming that you have 18" wheels with Tesla spec tires and Aero hub caps.

The trip planning tool on your car is terrific. It is VERY easy to monitor your energy consumption for the trip to make sure you are at or below 241 Wh/Mile and assuming you input a destination, (WORK or HOME) on your trip nav system you will have a realtime graph of your behavior on the trip. So if you charge to 90% and schedule your departure so the battery is ready to go in the morning I bet you will get home with 10% remaining every day.

Of course this is just my guess and it will be great for you to have charging available at work.

Enjoy the new car!

Reactions: BuggDDS
A quick remark about the range-

-100% on this car = 305 miles (2018 M3 LR RWD w/ 19" wheels)
-On the first trip to work, I was 80% efficient (the first 80 miles cost me 100 miles of range). The drive home I was a bit more conservative and achieved 100%

In my younger days, I always had sports cars (Trans Am, C6 Vette, etc..). The torque on this is addicting. So much that I'm already thinking I should've gotten the AWD so I could add the acceleration boost. I got a Tesla estimate for the trade-in and it spit out $10k less than I bought it for :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and GZDongles

-On the first trip to work, I was 80% efficient (the first 80 miles cost me 100 miles of range). The drive home I was a bit more conservative and achieved 100%

In my younger days, I always had sports cars (Trans Am, C6 Vette, etc..). The torque on this is addicting. So much that I'm already thinking I should've gotten the AWD so I could add the acceleration boost. I got a Tesla estimate for the trade-in and it spit out $10k less than I bought it for :oops:

Engineering Explained also had a RWD and traded in for the Performance. The reason was that the permanent magnet motor has much slower response times vs. the induction motor in the front so you actually don't get that crazy shove in the back. He explains the limitations of the permanent magnet motor in the rear really well.

How many miles are on it? I got mine used (2019 LR RWD) with 10,000 miles on it and 100% was 318. 12,000 miles later, my guesstimated 100% is 285. 120 miles daily, 80% highway at ~75MPH.