Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR Front Axle Clicking - Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

5_+JqckQttqck

Apr 27, 2018
Toronto
3 LR w/ 18" Wheels (still on stock Aeros, 1 winter with separate rims/Nokians)
VIN 29xxx (April or May 2018 Build)
Odometer: 41500kms

Issue started as rear wheel click (~38000kms) - that was looked at and still clicks but front right wheel clicks when going over bumps/drive ways.

Time in SC: Steering column replaced (10 business days).

Result: all clicking noise front and back gone for now.

Cost: $0 - warranty (Tesla Mississauga has yet to email me the invoice I signed).

Post repair issue: Noticed while AP engaged, steering wheel is a few degrees to the right to go straight. Took AP off and manual straightened steering wheel > Car drifts left into passing lane on highway. Called SC and they said the car will recalibrate after a few hundred kms of AP/Driving. Been told to monitor for the recalibration; if not done automatically, reschedule for inspection by SC staff.

Interesting, I had the same issue at under 10000 km and it was addressed with the "Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - Lubricate at Hub". Hasn't come another 10000 km later.
I had my 20 into a SC and they performed the "lubricate" procedure for front axle clicking. Noise returned after 2 days and is going in again to be addressed. This will be the 3rd time.

Front axle click, sounds like a torque wrench, clicked especially when making turns or going over bumps. Tesla Service tightened and lubricated all the hubs, no improvement. After the fourth try they replaced the half shaft, no improvement. They then replaced the front hub... problem fixed. I'm posting this for the future when M3 is out of warranty...

Hmm I have a front click mainly if I turn the wheel in just the right spot. I think it's the brakes sort of going to go over a bunch of things in over 87k km.

No more warranty and have not done anything on this car other than tires and service brakes myself

3 LR w/ 18" Wheels (still on stock Aeros, 1 winter with separate rims/Nokians)
VIN 29xxx (April or May 2018 Build)
Odometer: 41500kms

Issue started as rear wheel click (~38000kms) - that was looked at and still clicks but front right wheel clicks when going over bumps/drive ways.

Time in SC: Steering column replaced (10 business days).

Result: all clicking noise front and back gone for now.

Cost: $0 - warranty (Tesla Mississauga has yet to email me the invoice I signed).

Post repair issue: Noticed while AP engaged, steering wheel is a few degrees to the right to go straight. Took AP off and manual straightened steering wheel > Car drifts left into passing lane on highway. Called SC and they said the car will recalibrate after a few hundred kms of AP/Driving. Been told to monitor for the recalibration; if not done automatically, reschedule for inspection by SC staff.
Recalibrate the alignment? Wow. They really don’t know anything. Every time I ever talked to any service person at Tesla, I get a feeling that they just hire anyone from T-Mobile.