Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR. Has acceleration boost upgrade been discontinued? [ no ]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am right now choosing between M3P or LR. I am in Norway and I just spoke to Tesla sales who told me they stopped the performance boost option on the LR model. I see no indication of this anywhere. Is it true?

Also, while I am here does anyone know if the recent firmware upgrade really did resolve the issues with the performance acceleration with battery under 50% SOC?

Thanks for any input.

I'm sensing there might be some misunderstanding...just to be clear: There is a $2,000 USD software upgrade available to LR AWD owners (unless there is a change to that which literally just occurred. Additionally, I'm not from Norway so I am not familiar if there are any differences in software-upgrades available in Norway. I doubt it).

What is discontinued are performance stealth models which weren't the full fledged performance model with bigger wheels, different brake calipers...among other things...but had the same performance in terms of speed/acceleration.

I'm sensing there might be some misunderstanding...just to be clear: There is a $2,000 USD software upgrade available to LR AWD owners (unless there is a change to that which literally just occurred. Additionally, I'm not from Norway so I am not familiar if there are any differences in software-upgrades available in Norway. I doubt it).

What is discontinued are performance stealth models which weren't the full fledged performance model with bigger wheels, different brake calipers...among other things...but had the same performance in terms of speed/acceleration.
Thanks for the clarification but I specifically asked Tesla sales about the boost to the long range model though maybe he misunderstood. I find not being able to get reliable information of any kind or a roadmap very frustrating with Tesla. I have had a model X since 2017 and still haven't got used to the random changes they make.

When I compare the M3P with the LR the only thing, for me, that the performance model seems to beat the LR model is surprisingly range. I don't want the wheels, the lowered suspension or even the spoiler but I do want the sub 4s acceleration and the reviews I have seen seem to favour the LR.

Reactions: Phlier
What @SixZoSeven is saying is correct. There is a software-based "acceleration boost" that is available for the LR AWD model but the "performance" model without the performance hardware (without rear spoiler, not lowered, with standard wheels) has been discontinued.

It is possible that the software acceleration boost is not available in your country because of regulations that forbid it though.

Otherwise, The LR + boost sounds like what you should get. Also, it is possible to change the wheels on the performance model to "recover" the range from the LR specs. They share the same battery setup (give and take the transition models where some LR would have less range than the performance if they get the 77kwh LG batteries instead of the 82kwh ones). The reason why the performance model display less range is because it is more or less the same platform as the LR but is tuned to performance rather than range.

Also, if you drive leveraging the sub 4s acceleration features, you will get less range. I.E. if you drive like a cowboy, you get less range so might as well get a performance and accept you'll need to charge more frequently.

Thanks. You are right, the LR with the boost sounds right for me but that is not an option on the configurator and Tesla tell me it is not available after purchase. It odd that it feels tempting not to believe Tesla but it would also be annoying to buy a LR and find that the performance boost is not available.

Thanks. You are right, the LR with the boost sounds right for me but that is not an option on the configurator and Tesla tell me it is not available after purchase. It odd that it feels tempting not to believe Tesla but it would also be annoying to buy a LR and find that the performance boost is not available.
You might want to ask this in the subforum for your area, since its possible this could be area specific?

The acceleration boost option is a software upgrade. It's not available in the configurator. You can buy it as an in-app upgrade after you get the car delivered. I guess you can have it installed by the service center once/when you take delivery. It's an aftersale upgrade.

The acceleration boost option is a software upgrade. It's not available in the configurator. You can buy it as an in-app upgrade after you get the car delivered. I guess you can have it installed by the service center once/when you take delivery. It's an aftersale upgrade.

Thats all true, but the troubling part is this OP saying (emphasis mine)

Now, anyone who has dealt with tesla for any length of time knows that sometimes, the salespeople are... lets just say "mistaken" in some of the things they say. I havent seen this from anyone else, but also do not hang out in the norway section I linked to in my other post.

I "suspect" that the salesperson that this OP is talking to is mistaken, because the acceleration boost is basically free money for tesla (as the car as it stands already exists in the purchasers hands at that point). I know that its not in the configurator (and thus you cant get a loan on that portion if you are getting a loan or lease), but would think its still available after purchase of the vehicle, like you mention.

I dont know this to be fact, though,.

Reactions: Phlier and sroy
Thats all true, but the troubling part is this OP saying (emphasis mine)

Now, anyone who has dealt with tesla for any length of time knows that sometimes, the salespeople are... lets just say "mistaken" in some of the things they say. I havent seen this from anyone else, but also do not hang out in the norway section I linked to in my other post.

I "suspect" that the salesperson that this OP is talking to is mistaken, because the acceleration boost is basically free money for tesla (as the car as it stands already exists in the purchasers hands at that point). I know that its not in the configurator (and thus you cant get a loan on that portion if you are getting a loan or lease), but would think its still available after purchase of the vehicle, like you mention.

I dont know this to be fact, though,.
Thank you. You have this correct but now I am doubting the salesperson. I will try them again tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.

Reactions: sroy and jjrandorin
Thank you. You have this correct but now I am doubting the salesperson. I will try them again tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.
Please report back on what you find. If tesla has actually discontinued the purchase of the boost after purchase, there are a quite a few who would be interested in that information. I suspect (and hope) that there is a miscommunication here as mentioned by both @sroy and @SixZoSeven .

Reactions: sroy and Wheely
It's still in the app in the US. Don't know if they offer it in Norway.
@Wheely Pinging you to make sure you see/saw the quoted post. Looks like it's still available in the "upgrades" section of the phone app here in the US.

I have a feeling that the Tesla representative you talked to was confusing the "acceleration boost" option available to be purchased from your smart phone app on LR AWD vehicles, with the "stealth" Model 3 Performance. The "stealth" Model 3 Performance is a whole different discussion, but the TL;DR version of it is that it was an optional form of the Model 3 Performance that isn't available anymore.

I'd be willing to bet that Bjorn Nyland (he's a fairly popular Tesla YouTuber who lives in Norway) would be able to get you a reliable answer, although I'm not sure he's a user here at TMC.

@Wheely Pinging you to make sure you see/saw the quoted post. Looks like it's still available in the "upgrades" section of the phone app here in the US.

I have a feeling that the Tesla representative you talked to was confusing the "acceleration boost" option available to be purchased from your smart phone app on LR AWD vehicles, with the "stealth" Model 3 Performance. The "stealth" Model 3 Performance is a whole different discussion, but the TL;DR version of it is that it was an optional form of the Model 3 Performance that isn't available anymore.

I'd be willing to bet that Bjorn Nyland (he's a fairly popular Tesla YouTuber who lives in Norway) would be able to get you a reliable answer, although I'm not sure he's a user here at TMC.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will call Tesla again today and make sure they understand what I am asking :) I am aware of Bjørn though he is a pretty busy guy :) I will post an update here after I have spoken to Tesla again today.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Tesla now tell me that the boost IS available for the long range. Not sure what the advantage is of the performance any more so will likely change my order to the LR. Thanks everyone for the input though and apologies if I worried anyone.

Reactions: Phlier