Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR. Has acceleration boost upgrade been discontinued? [ no ]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just making sure I’m reading that correctly: with both vehicles at 60% state of charge, the LR with boost is faster or the same, acceleration wise?
Performance model has faster acceleration than LR with AB all else being equal.

If you don’t track the car, you probably won’t notice the difference. But anecdotal benchmarks have shown the perf to be faster still than the LR + boost.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
Just making sure I’m reading that correctly: with both vehicles at 60% state of charge, the LR with boost is faster or the same, acceleration wise?
The LR doesn't need to have boost to beat the performance at lower states of charge. Actually I think it is at around 40% SOC they are neck and neck but the performance is considerably slower at 20% (it was twice as slow 0-100km but may be a bit better now). On the plus side it turns out that that the 2021 performance has slightly more range than the long range. Tesla doing what Tesla does I guess. There are several threads on this and Tesla have improved the situation a bit with a software upgrade but it still looks pretty bad.

The LR doesn't need to have boost to beat the performance at lower states of charge. Actually I think it is at around 40% SOC they are neck and neck but the performance is considerably slower at 20% (it was twice as slow 0-100km but may be a bit better now). On the plus side it turns out that that the 2021 performance has slightly more range than the long range. Tesla doing what Tesla does I guess. There are several threads on this and Tesla have improved the situation a bit with a software upgrade but it still looks pretty bad.
This is a bit misleading because you should mention that this is due to different generations of battery packs. So it's not "all else being equal". It's unclear if there will be/was a software update to fix this or not and this neglects the fact that in track mode you get further adjustments that may affect the comparison. I think you are referring to an anecdotal video from youtube that, I believe, has been debunked now.

Under normal circumstances, the performance is faster than the LR or LR with boost all else being equal.

This is a bit misleading because you should mention that this is due to different generations of battery packs. So it's not "all else being equal". It's unclear if there will be/was a software update to fix this or not and this neglects the fact that in track mode you get further adjustments that may affect the comparison. I think you are referring to an anecdotal video from youtube that, I believe, has been debunked now.

Under normal circumstances, the performance is faster than the LR or LR with boost all else being equal.
I don't think it is misleading to state things as they are now if you go and buy a model 3 performance. I maybe could clarify by saying this is referring only to the 2021 model 3 performance but as this thread was relating to a new performance vehicle I didn't think it was necessary. There are at least three popular videos done by different people in different countries all showing the LR model 3 at least matching the performance or beating it from a rolling start at certain speeds, There is also at least one detailed battery SOC charge acceleration tests done by one of the most respected Tesla youtubers out there showing the model 3 performance significantly slower 0-100km than a non-boosted LR. Bjørn did his test before the firmware release but if you look on these forum you will see claims that this firmware release has brought the 10% charge acceleration figure down from 14 seconds to around 8 which is still slower than the non-boosted LR. It doesn't do anyone any good to try and pretend this isn't the case. I believe Tesla will fix it which is why I haven't yet cancelled my own model 3 performance order.

Hello all! Unfortunately same case here in Europe Greece. Still not available the acceleration boost upgrade for model 3 LR 2021. The Seller first told me it is an upgrade that discontinued, but after a month he told me that (some day) it will appear in my tesla app the option of acceleration boost upgrade...

The Performance also has bigger brakes and some other fluffy things. But Track Mode is a huge deal because of what you can do with it. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten a Performance Model 3, even though I'm not a fan of the larger tires because I prefer beefier tires that won't damage the rims in a pothole.

Yes. Not 100% sure on the new 2021s though. The 2019 and 2020 LR AWD with Boost is just as fast as the Performance or faster at "lower" states of charge. This is based on drag times done by people.

The stated time for the performance is also with the 1 foot rollout, the stated time for the LR is not.

I don't think it is misleading to state things as they are now if you go and buy a model 3 performance. I maybe could clarify by saying this is referring only to the 2021 model 3 performance but as this thread was relating to a new performance vehicle I didn't think it was necessary. There are at least three popular videos done by different people in different countries all showing the LR model 3 at least matching the performance or beating it from a rolling start at certain speeds, There is also at least one detailed battery SOC charge acceleration tests done by one of the most respected Tesla youtubers out there showing the model 3 performance significantly slower 0-100km than a non-boosted LR. Bjørn did his test before the firmware release but if you look on these forum you will see claims that this firmware release has brought the 10% charge acceleration figure down from 14 seconds to around 8 which is still slower than the non-boosted LR. It doesn't do anyone any good to try and pretend this isn't the case. I believe Tesla will fix it which is why I haven't yet cancelled my own model 3 performance order.

I've seen numerous videos showing the P3 at all SoC's, as well as HP and it's still faster than the LR in each level until below maybe 30% or 20% - at which point who cares? Granted these were one's prior to 2021, I don't think most people are driving around with super low SoC trying to race people. Can you link these videos please. Are they completely equal tire and wheel setups? Are there time slips and Dragy numbers? Are they both 2021's ? How many miles and battery degradation on them? Rolling starts at what speed? We all know they are similar pull on the top end, that was established years ago.

Please report back on what you find. If tesla has actually discontinued the purchase of the boost after purchase, there are a quite a few who would be interested in that information. I suspect (and hope) that there is a miscommunication here as mentioned by both @sroy and @SixZoSeven .
Wow jj - great to see you here! Not sure if you remember but we used to chat on ask-a-dealer in the Bimmerfest forums. I just ordered a Tesla so have migrated over here. I see you have as well... Hope all is well. Also sorry to hijack the thread but the forum isn't letting me PM you!

Wow jj - great to see you here! Not sure if you remember but we used to chat on ask-a-dealer in the Bimmerfest forums. I just ordered a Tesla so have migrated over here. I see you have as well... Hope all is well. Also sorry to hijack the thread but the forum isn't letting me PM you!

Hi! I remember your username, I am the same person :). I think you will need to have made a few more posts to PM people. This is an "anti scamming" stance that TMC has. its a very large site, and lots of people join TMC to PM people who are trying to buy something ( a vehicle, accessories, etc) and send a PM like "contact so and so, at (insert random email) they have what you want", trying to scam them out of money.

Once you get a few more posts in, a few things open up like the "like / informative / dislike options, as well as being able to PM.

I would say "welcome to TMC" but your join date is earlier than mine, lmao.

Hi! I remember your username, I am the same person :). I think you will need to have made a few more posts to PM people. This is an "anti scamming" stance that TMC has. its a very large site, and lots of people join TMC to PM people who are trying to buy something ( a vehicle, accessories, etc) and send a PM like "contact so and so, at (insert random email) they have what you want", trying to scam them out of money.

Once you get a few more posts in, a few things open up like the "like / informative / dislike options, as well as being able to PM.

I would say "welcome to TMC" but your join date is earlier than mine, lmao.
Long-time lurker and essentially first time poster - I had an early Model 3 order in but ended up getting impatient and canceling it. Finally getting into the mix!

Long-time lurker and essentially first time poster - I had an early Model 3 order in but ended up getting impatient and canceling it. Finally getting into the mix!
(Off topic post inc)

I have had my model 3 performance since dec 2018, when my 435 lease cycle was up. I got a blue model 3, because I had just spent 3 years driving around an estoril blue 435, and really grew attached to the color blue on a car. Not "loud" like red, but still somewhat uncommon so easier to find in a parking lot.

I really (really) love the fact that there is nothing that a model 3 purchased now does that my car doesnt, with the exception of the heat pump heating and cooling. I always got annoyed when BMW would add some feature or other to idrive, changing versions, but there was no way to get the new version without coding your car (and even then you really couldnt sometimes).

They have added all sorts of features since I got my car in 2018, more voice commands, etc, and I got them all. They even made my car faster with an OTA update.

I have a car that is significantly faster than the 435 I had in usable speed (up to at least 120), while it costs me less than 1/2 as much to commute to work and back. A car that is just as happy being driven 30 MPH in traffic as "a particular amount of speed" in wide open spaces. There is a reason there are so many BMW owners (or ex BMW owners) driving model 3s specifically. The S feels like a 7 series to me, and was not for me, but the model 3 drives like what I remember BMWs USED to feel like.

Ill stop gushing now, but I cant see going back to an ICE vehicle at this point as my daily. Wife still has her X3 M40 which we might buy when the lease is up in 6 months, because it only has 5k miles on it for 2.5 years at this point.

(off topic post over).