Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR low range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this seem normal or something is really very wrong with my 2021 M3 LR?
I drove to Las Vegas round trip 178 miles. Started at 99% charge and came home with 20% charge left. Never went over 80 mph. Some part of the road goes up and down. Temp was 55 F. Please help me with your comments.
Thank you.

I drove to Las Vegas round trip 178 miles. Started at 99% charge and came home with 20% charge left. Never went over 80 mph. Some part of the road goes up and down. Temp was 55 F. Please help me with your comments.
Thank you.

That's totally normal. Gasoline cars do the same but since there are gas stations everywhere so we don't realize that fact.

You'll just collect from your driving experience so you can expect it for your next trip.

If you want EPA rated range then drive slower. You won't ever get EPA range with that kind of speed that you stated. Also, don't drive in the cold, wind, snow, rain, hilly...

Upvote 0
welcome to ev ownership. Its a surprise to everyone - but it doesn’t have to be stressful. EV ranges are rated at a mix of local and freeway driving at very conservative speeds. 80 mph is way too fast if you’re trying to get optimum range. As prior responder noted your Gas car also won’t get its rated range if you drive it 80mph. But it is true that EVs ranges are more sensitive to less-than-ideal conditions than gas cars. Cold temps are also very hard on them. The good news here is most of the time it doesnt matter. If you don’t require the range, drive however you like. Recharge when needed. In rare occasions when you really need the range to reach a distant point (has happened to me twice in 4 years) it Is in your control to achieve it by slowing down. Yes it is a minor compromise to gas car ownership, but when you consider all the advantages of ev ownership, it seems minor.

Upvote 0
I've had my M3 LR for 15 months. I've found that the car lives up to its EPA range rating only if I keep the speed to 55 mph or less, that's no different than an ICE car. A 178 mile drive at 80 mph is gonna gobble up those electrons. Two other range saving tips to share:
1. Keep the heat or AC off as much as possible. Yeah, I know, once the temp hits about 65 the car's cabin warms up pretty quickly. But when it's cold try keeping the heat off and relying on your seat heater to keep you warm.
2. In cold weather, if you need to put the heater on, switch to recirculated air. That makes a significant difference in your range, and in my experience the cabin tends to stay warmer too.

Upvote 0
I was in the same boat as you. I took a 139 mile trip last week (first trip I've taken). I left with 100% battery and arrived at 19%...blew my mind as with my ice car, I'd have half a tank left. Like mentioned above, EVs don't like speed. I drove between 80mph - 83mph and could literally watch the % drop every minute. In FL, if you're not 10 over the speedlimit on the interstate, you're either getting pushed off the road or stuck behind someone who is doing 50 in a 70 in any other lane.

Upvote 0
I've had my M3 LR for 15 months. I've found that the car lives up to its EPA range rating only if I keep the speed to 55 mph or less, that's no different than an ICE car. A 178 mile drive at 80 mph is gonna gobble up those electrons. Two other range saving tips to share:
1. Keep the heat or AC off as much as possible. Yeah, I know, once the temp hits about 65 the car's cabin warms up pretty quickly. But when it's cold try keeping the heat off and relying on your seat heater to keep you warm.
2. In cold weather, if you need to put the heater on, switch to recirculated air. That makes a significant difference in your range, and in my experience the cabin tends to stay warmer too.

I have had my car since May 2019 and for me, I no notice no range loss or higher kWh/mi with the A/C. In the summer, I generally get under 210 kWh/mi on my drives. Adding the A/C adds maybe 1 kWh/mi for those same drives. Heat is another story.

Reactions: chrstna4
Upvote 0
There is a big difference between looking at the odometer and SOC at the end of the day. And how much the car says you used DRIVING.

You didn’t say how long the trip was for, how many stops, how long parked with sentry mode on, sit eating in the car with heat going etc.

Starts take more energy. A non stop trip of 178 vs driving 90 miles, park all day with sentry and then start up again and drive home.

For this reason watts/mi is best because it only measures driving. But starts will still run less efficient.

Temp doesn’t matter as much as how cold did it get the night before. Was it charging right up until you left?

Tire pressures. Acceleration. Maximizing regen (I.e. tail gating will kill efficiency). And speed all matter.

Weather matters too. Little rain can make a big impact.

I’d recommend give it time and learn how to drive more efficiently, if you care. Many model 3 owners do better than EPA.

I can almost do 250 mile round trip (with long stop over) charged to 90% (296 miles) in my Model X in very cold temps. I’ll end up at like 1% and that’s cutting it to close. I also keep heat at 70 or 72 auto. That should be a breeze with Model 3.

Upvote 0
This seems way too high. On my m3 SR+ when I got about 205-210 WH/M I just about got the advertised range.

For the OP the watt hour per mile is the magic number. You need to keep that number at or lower than the whatever the EPA used for their ratings.

I think EPA rated range requires 234wh/m, which is very possible with conservative driving and speeds of 50ish MPH or less.

Reactions: cwerdna
Upvote 0
P version here. I just got back from a 2000 mile roadtrip and temperature sure plays a big factor. Dallas TX to Cape San Blas FL where the drive down was an average of 48-53F through heavy rain storms. Kept at 60mph for a lot of the way due to weather. heater set at 68F. Avg was 342 wh/m. Coming back in 72F weather, no heating, speed at avg 70mph. Avg wh/m was 283.

Upvote 0
Thank you.
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but look at your energy screen. It'll show your energy consumption of the most recent 5, 15, 30 miles, and also an average Wh/mi to the left, projected range to the right. There is a thin line also in the graph that says "Rated", and that shows the target consumption you must hit to match the rated range, if your average is higher, you will get less than rated.

Example from Google:
pth1n0ij6md41.jpg

You can also use the trip meter to keep track of your Wh/mi over a trip. Personally I have one of the trip meters that I never reset, so I can keep track of the stats over the lifetime of the car.

Upvote 0