Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a unique experience. I had a 2021 Model 3 LR, rated at 354miles (567KM) , it was the Panasonic battery pack. I drove that for 2 years, and my experience was that it was certainly not the rated range in the real world. I would drive on the highway for 200KM yet I would burn through 270KM of range. Granted I was going 120KM/H (70MPH), but I was always a tad disappointed.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I was involved in a bad car accident. Somebody hit me and my car was deemed a write off. The insurance gave me a very generous settlement. I was able to buy a new 2023 Model 3 LR with money to spare. Anyways, I've been driving this new model for a couple weeks now. Its rated at only 333miles (534KM) yet I find Im getting more real life range. I did a 170KM highway trip yesterday again averaging 120KM/H (70MPH) and the range actually dropped 170KM.

I will also comment that the build quality on this Shanghai one is better than the 2021 made in Freemont. No gaps, no rattles, car just seems better made overall.

Reactions: chinney
Tesla suddenly holding back range to offer a more realistic mileage ? good one. lol
> Tesla is making insane improvements to range prediction

My Tesla today shows @ 80% SOC : 426 km (264 mi) rated range.
Tessie & Teslafi show me also the "real world range" - based on the recent driving behavior - of : 386 km (240 mi) [Tessie] / 391 km (242 mi) [TeslaFi]

TeslaFi.JPG

The difference between the rated range and the real world range is about 10% (264/240). This is pretty much accurate in my book.

Now, in my recent driving, I had with my Tesla doing an average of about 148 Wh/km.
This means 14.8 kWh/100 km. Based on the 77.5 kWh of usable battery on my Tesla M3 (according to Tessie), this means I could drive about : 523 km on a full charge. @ 80% SOC this means I could drive 418 km. 426 vs 418 isn't a big difference.

I also did a round-trip Montreal-Ottawa to test the accuracy of the trip estimator of my Tesla and it didn't deceive me. I started @ 90% SOC and came back after 416 km with the 4% SOC, with an efficiency of 152 Wh/km and 64 kWh used.

I know, I was perplex myself, when we all know that the rated range on the Tesla is never achievable, but it looks like the new numbers on the Tesla 2023 are pretty much achievable. I am sure I would never be able to drive 354 miles (numbers of the rated range 2022), but I am sure I can drive 333 miles in my 2023 @ 90-95 km/h (55-60 mph)

On a 77.5 kWh :
> 354 miles are achieved @ 4.5 mi/kWh (city driving)
> 333 miles are achieved @ 4.3 mi/kWh (road trip possible)

Last edited: