Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US EPA tests should use an 80 MPH highway cruising speed, and even that is slower than a lot of traffic flow. But basing the ratings on 80 MPH would provide a much better set of real-world numbers, especially for EVs which get worse mileage on the highway.

80 is the highest speed limit in all states except the parts of Texas that allow 85 MPH. 70 MPH is the max posted limit on the PA Turnpike and if you're doing 80, a good portion of the traffic is going faster than you.

The EPA does have a "high speed" test that touches 80 MPH, but it is not used in the calculation for official fuel economy numbers

So apparently Highland is going to remove the stalks. Going to be lots of unhappy people on here from what I’ve read previously on this site about it. So maybe at the very least the new LR will have a good resell value towards those who want the stalks if you prefer highland some day. I say partially joking. But something about that whole video seems off to me though, and I just do not see highland being released this year. Unless they are really going to sell this LR for just 2 months before switching to highland… 🤨

Full drone footage confirms no stalks and Smart Shift coming to Project Highland Model 3 [Video]

So apparently Highland is going to remove the stalks. Going to be lots of unhappy people on here from what I’ve read previously on this site about it. So maybe at the very least the new LR will have a good resell value towards those who want the stalks if you prefer highland some day. I say partially joking. But something about that whole video seems off to me though, and I just do not see highland being released this year. Unless they are really going to sell this LR for just 2 months before switching to highland… 🤨

Full drone footage confirms no stalks and Smart Shift coming to Project Highland Model 3 [Video]
even if highland is released next year... why would anyone jump in and buy a Model 3 AWD LR now for $47k when we do know that the range is at the lower end of what AWD LR historically offered and you have *no* USS parking and "vision only" TACC / AP ? at least the Highland will likely offer front bumper cameras and/or HD radar and HW4 ? stalkless is a big turn off but the current Model 3 AWD LR isn't great at all with just 325+ miles of range and the deleted sensors and "vision only" parking still being a mess.

Reactions: jboy210 and msm859
Yeah from a manufacturing perspective, it doesn't make sense to produce the version made available last week for only a few months to only THEN switch to the Highland later in Q3. If we agree changing mid-quarter doesn't make sense, then it leaves 3 likely scenarios:
  1. M3LR's delivered in the latest "June Window" (I have May 30th-June 30th) will be Highland.
  2. M3LR's delivered in the latest "June Window" will be delivered with the newly available battery and Highland won't been seen until 2024.
  3. No M3LR's will actually be delivered in the new "June" window, and those of us who ordered months ago will continue to wait until later this summer, when Highland is complete and ready to go.
I can't think of an an option other than one of these 3 that really makes sense.

(though feel free to throw another option out there, I feel like reading something even remotely related to my new car 😉 )

Reactions: Diceroller and 42M3
even if highland is released next year... why would anyone jump in and buy a Model 3 AWD LR now for $47k when we do know that the range is at the lower end of what AWD LR historically offered and you have *no* USS parking and "vision only" TACC / AP ? at least the Highland will likely offer front bumper cameras and/or HD radar and HW4 ? stalkless is a big turn off but the current Model 3 AWD LR isn't great at all with just 325+ miles of range and the deleted sensors and "vision only" parking still being a mess.
For me, everything is lined up to happen now. Waiting till highland means a huge price increase from muliple variables. I’m disappointed about the range, but if it’s the only downgrade, it still makes way more sense to go with now. But if other things are also changed for the worse, then I’ll definitely reevaluate. But it would probably mean no Tesla.

A few thoughts of mine about Highland timing speculation:
1. All our information thus far (leaks, spy shots etc.) can be classified as unverified rumors. But doesn't it tell us something that the frequency of these rumors is increasing?
2. Someone who placed a recent M3LR order had an initial delivery window of June, and it just got revised to match mine and many others: late May through June. It would be weird for them to push the delivery window up if they were planning to mass push it back soon.
3. Not sure this means anything--maybe just a coincidence--but folks with MY orders are starting to see their delivery windows get pushed out to match the late May through June window we've been seeing. Interesting.
4. I thought one of the goals of Highland was to reduce manufacturing costs that will translate into lower prices for customers. I know Tesla can take advantage of the newness of the refreshed model, but at some point, wouldn't the costs trend further downward over time?
5. The annual shareholder meeting is next week on 5/16/2023. Wouldn't that be a great time to officially introduce Highland?

Reactions: 42M3 and King David

This is gonna go like the Model X "Yoke" steering wheel, which had to be reversed.

A few thoughts of mine about Highland timing speculation:
1. All our information thus far (leaks, spy shots etc.) can be classified as unverified rumors. But doesn't it tell us something that the frequency of these rumors is increasing?
2. Someone who placed a recent M3LR order had an initial delivery window of June, and it just got revised to match mine and many others: late May through June. It would be weird for them to push the delivery window up if they were planning to mass push it back soon.
3. Not sure this means anything--maybe just a coincidence--but folks with MY orders are starting to see their delivery windows get pushed out to match the late May through June window we've been seeing. Interesting.
4. I thought one of the goals of Highland was to reduce manufacturing costs that will translate into lower prices for customers. I know Tesla can take advantage of the newness of the refreshed model, but at some point, wouldn't the costs trend further downward over time?
5. The annual shareholder meeting is next week on 5/16/2023. Wouldn't that be a great time to officially introduce Highland?

Customer prices will be set by supply/demand as Tesla sees fit.

Highland is about reducing Tesla's costs, not customers

US EPA tests should use an 80 MPH highway cruising speed, and even that is slower than a lot of traffic flow. But basing the ratings on 80 MPH would provide a much better set of real-world numbers, especially for EVs which get worse mileage on the highway.

80 is the highest speed limit in all states except the parts of Texas that allow 85 MPH. 70 MPH is the max posted limit on the PA Turnpike and if you're doing 80, a good portion of the traffic is going faster than you.

LOL. I don't dare go over 80 on the PA Turnpike for fear of running into one of the many troopers patrolling that road. Only the Ohio Turnpike is worse.

I am not sure about Highland, but I have been thinking it would definitely be the perfect time to actually reveal / confirm everything about this new LR model, such a battery, true range, and so on.
I stumbled across an article quoting a "trusted source" that shares my speculations/optimism (dated April 17):

"Interestingly, in the US only the RWD and Performance versions of the Model 3 can currently be ordered. The Long Range variant will likely return when the Project Highland Model 3 is launched.

The Model 3 has been on sale since 2017, with almost 2 million units sold to date. Currently only its larger twin, the Model Y, outsells it. As you would expect, the Y will receive a near identical facelift to the Model 3. And as is usually the case with facelifted Teslas, production will begin almost as soon as the updated models are revealed. When will that be? Q3 2023, reportedly."

Reactions: King David
This is gonna go like the Model X "Yoke" steering wheel, which had to be reversed.
Even when they switched back to a round wheel on the X, they kept the turn signal directions and horn as wheel buttons and the direction selector on the display and remove the stalks under the steering wheel.

FWIW, I have no issue with the yoke on my X. But the loss of turn signal, center of wheel as horn, and direction selection stalks was/is harder to adapt to.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
This is interesting. Internet sleuths believe this shrouded render presented at today's annual shareholder meeting matches up very closely with the current M3, conveniently leaving out the front and back end where the most exterior revisions would be seen. Elon mentioned it is past the design phase and already being "built."

Reactions: King David and 42M3
This is interesting. Internet sleuths believe this shrouded render presented at today's annual shareholder meeting matches up very closely with the current M3, conveniently leaving out the front and back end where the most exterior revisions would be seen. Elon mentioned it is past the design phase and already being "built."
Yeah, I saw another rumor today that lines up perfectly with our delivery dates as well. I forgot to save it to post on here though. If it comes up again, I'll post it.

Reactions: Diceroller

I'm gonna go with a slightly-smaller-model-3 with stripped options and battery for China only.

But yeah, it'd be way cooler to have a mini Model-Y at $25k for the domestic market. Alas, unlikely in the near term